Forums

Topic: General Final Fantasy Thread

Posts 1,521 to 1,540 of 1,675

VoidofLight

I honestly want to play every one in the series some day. Maybe it’s because I never grew up with the series, but in my mind, Final Fantasy can be anything as long as it’s still a JRPG. It could be an action JRPG or turn-based for what I’m concerned. As long as it shares the same running themes like Cid, Crystals, Chocobos, Moogles, Biggs, and Wedge, then I count it as a Final Fantasy title. I’m actually glad for the evolution of the series, and I really do feel like XVI will be one of the best if XIV is anything to go off of.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

RR529

Promises myself I won't get stuck into another JRPG coming right off of SMTV, looks at Steam library (mostly JRPGs), and begins to download Final Fantasy Type-0 HD...

Well, it's more of an action JRPG, so hopefully it'll still feel sufficiently different.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

VoidofLight

@Snaplocket If it's Xenoblade 1, but worse, then it must be pretty good.

Edited on by VoidofLight

BruceCM

Lol, do let us know how you get on with that one, @RR529 .... I quite liked it when I finally played it last year!

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Solaine

@Snaplocket Oh, is that so? I don't know how to measure the popularity and it was just a feeling i got from various comments i read but looking at the IGN list, i guess over there Final Fantasy 2 is actually the least popular one. Never played XIII but XV was quite a mixed bag for me.

"on a scale of 1 to 10, she's an 11, and she'd give herself a 12" ~The Burst, Furi

VoidofLight

Is it worth buying the original 7 on Switch? I heard the PC port was awful for the original game, and I was wondering if it's awful on switch as well. I want to play the original, so that I can see what's in store for the future of the remake itself, and see how they changed the story from the original, since I've heard they changed it a ton.

BruceCM

Dunno what complaints you've heard about the Steam version, @VoidofLight .... But it plays fine on Switch Is that currently on sale?

SW-4357-9287-0699

VoidofLight

@BruceCM I don't think it's on sale, but the price isn't extremely high either. I find it odd that the Switch version is 15.99 and the Steam one is 11.99 though.

VoidofLight

I'm also trying to figure out what version of the port is best. Apparently the PC version has some issues, unless you heavily mod it, and I heard the translation in the PC port is the incomplete translation that makes little sense. I also heard controller support is broken as well.

I was thinking console, but I don't know if the translations are any better, or if it's worth it to go with that.

BruceCM

Hmm, well, I haven't got around to Steam version but I have played it on Switch .... Since the FF series goes on sale so often, might as well wait for that, though

SW-4357-9287-0699

RR529

Getting to the point in Type 0 HD where things are starting to open up.

I never thought I'd play a Final Fantasy title that makes you watch an injured Chocobo die in a pool of it's own blood in the opening moments (that's right, this is an "M" rated FF, of all things!). To be fair actual gameplay seems to be just as tame as your typical JRPG, but things do have a somewhat muted color palette to give things a bit of a grim vibe (with blood only coming into play during cutscenes).

I also had no idea this would be one of those JRPGs where you have so many "hours" to spend back at base camp (a military academy here), and you have to pick & choose what activities to take part in before time's up & it's on to the next mission, but I'll give it a good shot (luckily it seems like you can replay past missions from the title screen in order to grind your party if you're having trouble with the current story mission, which is good as you have 12 playable characters, it's recommended to keep them all leveled & there's no form of EXP share).

Actual combat seems fun (not super difficult, but not a pushover either), and it's an interesting mix of a mission based structure & traditional rpg exploration.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

VoidofLight

I'm one chapter away from the ending of the 7 Remake's first part. I know more about the Whispers now, and I honestly still don't see why people hate them. I get that they change the story, but they're the ones who are trying to bring the fated outcome back, and keep the plot rolling from the original game, while I'm pretty sure Sephiroth and the others are trying to decide their own fates. I honestly think that it's a nice shakeup as well, since we don't really know what'll happen next, given this. I get that people are probably mad because they wanted a full on remake, but we're sort of getting a remake for the original in the form of Ever Crisis.... even though it'll have lootbox weapons and it's stuck festering on the app store, instead of being on console for those who want the entire story of 7 and it's extended lore in one package. All I can hope is that they'll make that a paid release, but until then I guess it's better just to buy the original game on steam or something.

VoidofLight

Well, I just beat the remake, and I have to say that it was great. I really enjoyed it, and all I have to do is the DLC that came with the PS5 version before I'm fully done. I know now why it's controversial more than ever now, given that you basically destroy the creature responsible for the characters constantly fighting Sephiroth, and constantly having to repeat the same exact story over and over, in order to give birth to a fate of their own choosing, changing core story events, character deaths, and giving Sephiroth the chance to win, given nothing is pre-destined anymore. I really get why it's controversial, but I still stand by my post from earlier, and I'm excited to see how the story itself unfolds. I really do feel like it was a bad idea for them to market this as a full blown remake of 7 though.

Anti-Matter

@VoidofLight
After i played several hours of Ni no Kuni PS3, i can say Ni no Kuni was way much fun to play than FF XIII and beyond (FF XIV, FF XV, etc) .
Ni no Kuni felt like classic FF with Ghibli animation + Pokemonesque familiars / Yokai Watch style capturing with evolution + Battle style similar as FF XII style (without specific gambit).
In my opinion, modern Final Fantasy (the Roman number) is already dead since FF XIII.

Anti-Matter

VoidofLight

@CactusMan I heard that all three ports have a sketchy translation, so I might go with the PC version, since I could mod it.

RR529

Man, I'm finding Type 0 HD a lot more difficult than I'd have imagined.

I just finished up a mission with a recommended level of 13, with most of my party meeting that (and a few around level 20), and yet I barely scraped by with just one guy left. To be fair, I lost a few members (including some of the really good ones) trying to fight these golems you weren't actually supposed to fight, but the boss was absolutely brutal tearing through everyone.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

VoidofLight

I spent the day yesterday trying to mod my copy of 7, and I did a good job. I just don't know how to change the music out, and I can apparently remove the intense flashing lights from the combat and trains, but I don't know how yet.

RR529

I'm finding it hard to really click with Type 0 HD.

I'm really not caring for the "timed" element between missions (not a literal clock, but only being able to engage in a certain number of actions between missions before you have to move on), so you have to pick & choose who you want to socialize with, which missable side quests you want to do (you can only take on one at a time, and each excursion from your home base knocks 6 hours off the in game clock, so you very much have to pick & choose), & so on.

Furthermore, your party consists of 12 characters (which are all dumped on you after the tutorial mission) and you have to keep them all adequately levelled despite no EXP share (you only have 3 active members at a time), and I kinda forgot how dull random encounters make exploring & trying to get things done (especially in side quests where you have to kill "X" number of a certain enemy, as you just have to hope the next encounter will spawn some, but you'd better do it anyway if you want to keep everyone levelled), and then outside of your main base all towns seem to be copy pasted aesthetically. Granted, from the main menu, you can replay past missions as much as you want to grind EXP, but I imagine that must get repetitive after awhile.

It's a shame too as I do love the steampunk like designs of the enemy military troops (especially all their various mechs), and the more bespoke locations of the proper story missions are fine & varied enough so far, & I don't even have much of a problem with combat even if I find it a bit clunky.

I think I'll give it to the end of Chapter 3 (I've heard that's when it really gets going), but if I'm not hooked by then I'll probably put it down for now & play a couple indie games I've had my eyes on as a palette cleanser.

I honestly think it was just a mistake trying to jump right into another JRPG right after finishing SMTV, and should have dived into something smaller.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Magician

I wonder how soon we could expect to see the Pixel Remasters on consoles this year? Personally I hope we get physical copies of these games. Unfortunately I could easily see Square-Enix chop these up into volumes. Either three volumes of two games or two volumes of three games.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

VoidofLight

@Magician If they sell them in volumes, I don't think I'd hate it, as long as the price isn't like 100 bucks for each volume. The remasters are way too expensive right now for what they are, so bundling them together would make them actually worth buying.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic