Forums

Topic: General Final Fantasy Thread

Posts 1,501 to 1,520 of 1,675

BruceCM

FFIV PR now coming 8th September & is up for pre-purchase individually on Steam with a 20% discount ......

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

BruceCM

Yeah, I did wonder about that but it seems likely the other 2 won't be long, @Eel ... I'm definitely looking forward to playing IV PR! I'll be sure to update here as soon as there's any more info, though

SW-4357-9287-0699

RR529

It seems like every Japanese publisher (except for Capcom) is having massive sales on Steam at the same time, lol (probably because TGS).

Anyhow, I decided to nab Final Fantasy Type 0 HD (amongst a half dozen other, non-FF, titles) amongst all the chaos. I've been eyeing it for a few years now so hopefully I like it.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

BruceCM

FFV PR 10th November....

SW-4357-9287-0699

BruceCM

Untitled

Edited on by BruceCM

SW-4357-9287-0699

Anti-Matter

@BruceCM
I would like to see FF VI in 3D Chibi remake like FF III & IV NDS over than 2D Pixel perfect style

Anti-Matter

VoidofLight

I saw some screenshots, and it looks like they're doing a mixture of the original style, and a mixture of HD 2D for this game. I wish they would've just.. remade it fully in the HD 2D style, given the game would look gorgeous.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

VoidofLight

The game got delayed, and it's news did too. That's why they haven't been able to show anything this year, like they promised. This is understandable honestly, and I wouldn't be disappointed if they don't even meet the target they set here for Spring, but I'm hoping they will.

DaniPooo

The Final Fantasy series has been on a steady downwards spiral, it’s sad but I am really not all that excited about the next entry even though I have a PS5 and will buy this game as I have bought all previous entries (multiple times).

The problem is that Square Enix focus way to much resources on making the games good mainstream titles with great graphics and flashy combat. Heck they have even changed the genre of the series.

Some may think it’s an upgrade to move away from turn based combat/ATB. I on the other hand argue that there are plenty of good action rpgs and souls like games out there so there’s no real need for Final Fantasy to go that route.

Final Fantasy would probably do better if they took more inspiration from the golden era or Final Fantasy games (VI-X). They should focus on these things in this order.

1) characters and story
2) music
3) simple but deep combat and growth system that takes inspiration from the good old games
4) side content
5) art style
6) graphics

Square Enix is treating Dragon Quest well, so why can’t they treat Final Fantasy the same way?

I rather then see them remaking the old games in action RPG style/souls style as a spin-off series.
Kind of like let’s go pikachu and Eevee.

But keep the main line series true to it’s identity.

I know XIV is considered a great game, but it’s a great MMORPG, not a great mainline Final Fantasy game in my opinion. For me I think XI and XIV should have been treat more like a spin-off thing like Tactics and Crystal Chronicles.

It’s like Sqaure Enix have no idea what they are doing and no idea how to fix the damage and confusion they are creating.

Just please Square Enix try to do what you did with Final Fantasy IX, go back to the roots of the series and you’ll see that it’ll make everyone happy. The bravely default series has more Final Fantasy feel than any games you made since FFX. Too bad these games are lower budget and feel a bit generic.

I am at this point more excited about DQXII

DaniPooo

VoidofLight

@DaniPooo I don't think that they need to continue making Turn-based games in order to make good ones. XIV, even though it's an mmo, has one of the best stories in the series to date. XVI is being helmed by the same people who fixed XIV, and saved the series. If ARR failed, Final Fantasy would've been shelved entirely. I'm confident that XVI will be good, given who's working on it, and how transparent the devs have been so far. Heck, even the VII remake is good, but people say it's bad because they made changes to the story.

The music in modern Final Fantasy is also great. If anything, the music was the best thing about Final Fantasy XV entirely, and is really great in both XIV and VII R. The art style is also pretty good, with VII R being one of the best games I've seen in terms of the graphics department. I still can't get over how good the graphics look. As for side content, XIV and XV both have tons of side-quests and side things to do, so I don't see the complaints there.

Sure, the series isn't sticking to it's roots like Dragon Quest, but to be fair, Dragon Quest is extremely boring because it's stuck in the past. I'm glad that Final Fantasy is the series they're attempting to do new things with, even if it doesn't turn out well. I get the complaints about how they treated XV, but I really don't think XVI will be another XV. While you personally dislike Final Fantasy disregarding the turn-based stuff, I see it as a betterment for the series, because it's not as simplistic or dull as Dragon Quest became over the years. But hey, I don't really care about combat in RPGs, as long as it's fun and as long as you can't just win by holding down a single button, like you could in XV.

DaniPooo

VoidofLight wrote:

@DaniPooo I don't think that they need to continue making Turn-based games in order to make good ones. XIV, even though it's an mmo, has one of the best stories in the series to date. XVI is being helmed by the same people who fixed XIV, and saved the series. If ARR failed, Final Fantasy would've been shelved entirely. I'm confident that XVI will be good, given who's working on it, and how transparent the devs have been so far. Heck, even the VII remake is good, but people say it's bad because they made changes to the story.

The music in modern Final Fantasy is also great. If anything, the music was the best thing about Final Fantasy XV entirely, and is really great in both XIV and VII R. The art style is also pretty good, with VII R being one of the best games I've seen in terms of the graphics department. I still can't get over how good the graphics look. As for side content, XIV and XV both have tons of side-quests and side things to do, so I don't see the complaints there.

Sure, the series isn't sticking to it's roots like Dragon Quest, but to be fair, Dragon Quest is extremely boring because it's stuck in the past. I'm glad that Final Fantasy is the series they're attempting to do new things with, even if it doesn't turn out well. I get the complaints about how they treated XV, but I really don't think XVI will be another XV. While you personally dislike Final Fantasy disregarding the turn-based stuff, I see it as a betterment for the series, because it's not as simplistic or dull as Dragon Quest became over the years. But hey, I don't really care about combat in RPGs, as long as it's fun and as long as you can't just win by holding down a single button, like you could in XV.

I love DQ for sticking to its formula, I don’t think it’s boring at all.
But a good turn based Final Fantasy stands above DQ for me.
It’s not that I don’t like action RPG’s, trust me I do..

I have a problem with changing the genre of a huge franchise.
If they do that then maybe it should be done as a spin-off…

For me it like making a Doom based real-time strategy game and call it the next entry in the Doom franchise. Or a street fighter Smash Bros like brawler and call it “the next Street Fighter”

DaniPooo

Nephestinus

Hiya folks,

I just saw that you can still buy Endwalker on the PS5 do I still need the whole collection before it or can I just play with Endwalker?
Also; what's the situtation on PS5? Can I play it or does it suffer the same state as the regular versions?

Woops, nevermind I found it, you still need A Realm Reborn to play it...
Are there any news to when it's available again?

Edited on by Nephestinus

Nephestinus

VoidofLight

@Nephestinus There's no telling when they'll start selling the game again honestly. I guess they'll do it when the servers calm down.

DaniPooo

Snaplocket wrote:

@DaniPooo Final Fantasy VII Remake was really good and this is coming from someone who didn't like XV or KH III.

Yes that is a good game, But to be honest if it weren’t because of the FFVII characters, music and story it would not look like a Final Fantasy game. The gameplay itself is not very Final Fantasy like.

Square Enix was saved by the fact that this game is based on one of the most beloved games of all time.

I mean just look at the mess that is FFXV, it’s so full off inconsistencies. The music, gameplay, world, feel and phasing, all being very inconsistent. It’s a pretty good game, but it doesn’t meet the expectations of Final Fantasy game.

Here’s my point, they should stick with the tried and true formula of a Final Fantasy game and expand on that.
Not one single game failed to sell due to the turn based or ATB based combat.(Pokémon is turn based for crying out loud)

Just look at FFIX it was a tribute to all of Final Fantasy before it. And it’s ranked by many as the absolute best Final Fantasy (Even beating VII).

Combat in the older games are a bit more relaxing but still challenging.

I understand that probably most players rather play a more modern action RPG.
But do they really need to turn The Final Fantasy franchise into an action RPG franchise?

They already have other action RPG IP’s they can revive instead. How about a new Mana game for example?

DaniPooo

VoidofLight

@DaniPooo In my eyes, what makes a final fantasy game a final fantasy game isn't the battle system. It's the themes, the characters, and the stories that the games tell. VII R is a Final Fantasy in my eyes, even if it's not a turn-based game. It still has the themes that a final fantasy game would carry in terms of story, and it still carries the same creatures, naming schemes, enemy types, story beats, etc. that makes Final Fantasy "Final Fantasy". A battle system isn't what defines a series. If it did, then tons of JRPGs wouldn't be the same series they are now, given that tons of the action ones we have now didn't just start as action JRPGs. Some started as turn-based, and eventually evolved due to turn-based being stagnant after a while.

If anything, Final Fantasy lends itself well to having more experimental combat systems, given that those games aren't usually consistent from entry to entry, aside from sharing basic themes. Each game in the series, aside from direct sequels, are generally set in wildly different worlds from one another, with wildly different ways of functioning, and wildly different mechanics. Combat fits alongside that as well, at least in my eyes.

As for XV, it's inconsistencies comes with the fact that it had a troubled Dev time. It barely even got 5 years in development before it released, with the project having to restart. I don't know about you, but the music and world don't really feel inconsistent... at least not when I played through the game. I'd say past Final Fantasy games had way more inconsistent worlds, given that you have games like XIV which blends things like Magitek with medieval, and yet that's acclaimed as one of the best Final Fantasy games in a long while for it's world, it's themes, and it's story.

XVI looks to be seriously promising, even though it's action combat. The combat has the DMC combat director working on it, so it won't just be "hold down square to win" like Final Fantasy XV's combat. The game is being handled by many of the team members who singlehandedly revived the series with XIV, so it's in better hands than when XV was.

DaniPooo

Snaplocket wrote:

DaniPooo wrote:

Yes that is a good game, But to be honest if it weren’t because of the FFVII characters, music and story it would not look like a Final Fantasy game. The gameplay itself is not very Final Fantasy like.

Personally, I thought VII was decent but nowhere near the best RPG ever or even in the series. I thought IX, X, IV, VI, Type-0, Crisis Core, VII Remake and even XIII were better games in my opinion.

The only Final Fantasy I thought VII was better then were XV, XII, I and maybe World of Final Fantasy.

tldr; I think FF VII original is somewhat overrated and it didn't age well.

Well that’s your opinion and I sort of agree that VII is not on the top, but I think it often grabs that spot among other players mainly for the nostalgia factor. It was for many people in the west their first exposure to the franchise

Edited on by DaniPooo

DaniPooo

DaniPooo

VoidofLight wrote:

@DaniPooo In my eyes, what makes a final fantasy game a final fantasy game isn't the battle system. It's the themes, the characters, and the stories that the games tell. VII R is a Final Fantasy in my eyes, even if it's not a turn-based game. It still has the themes that a final fantasy game would carry in terms of story, and it still carries the same creatures, naming schemes, enemy types, story beats, etc. that makes Final Fantasy "Final Fantasy". A battle system isn't what defines a series. If it did, then tons of JRPGs wouldn't be the same series they are now, given that tons of the action ones we have now didn't just start as action JRPGs. Some started as turn-based, and eventually evolved due to turn-based being stagnant after a while.

If anything, Final Fantasy lends itself well to having more experimental combat systems, given that those games aren't usually consistent from entry to entry, aside from sharing basic themes. Each game in the series, aside from direct sequels, are generally set in wildly different worlds from one another, with wildly different ways of functioning, and wildly different mechanics. Combat fits alongside that as well, at least in my eyes.

As for XV, it's inconsistencies comes with the fact that it had a troubled Dev time. It barely even got 5 years in development before it released, with the project having to restart. I don't know about you, but the music and world don't really feel inconsistent... at least not when I played through the game. I'd say past Final Fantasy games had way more inconsistent worlds, given that you have games like XIV which blends things like Magitek with medieval, and yet that's acclaimed as one of the best Final Fantasy games in a long while for it's world, it's themes, and it's story.

XVI looks to be seriously promising, even though it's action combat. The combat has the DMC combat director working on it, so it won't just be "hold down square to win" like Final Fantasy XV's combat. The game is being handled by many of the team members who singlehandedly revived the series with XIV, so it's in better hands than when XV was.

No it’s not only about the battle system, but changing the entire genre is for me going a step too far. Don’t get me wrongI enjoy VII “remake” (it’s actually more of a reboot).
It works thanks to the nostalgia we have for the character, story, music and art direction.

But take if they had used the same game mechanics with completely new story, characters, world, composer and art direction then I wold have a hard time accepting it as a final fantasy game even if they stick in some chocobo’s, crystals and a Curaga spell.

I would feel like it would be better to call it a spin-off title. That’s what I felt with FFXV.

The music In XV is very inconsistent in my opinion, so many different composers worked on that game and you can really feel it. The orchestral songs are one composer but then for everything else it’s a weird hotpot.

The fact that they started over after Versus XIII meant that they still had a lot of assets and artwork to draw from, as well as understanding on the engine, probably a lot of already done work was carried over. But most of all they should have had a better defined direction of what they wanted the game to be, but they kept screwing it up until the very end (canceling planned content, that they planned to release to make up for the disappointment they had created)

They are not regaining my trust for the ability to reboot Final Fantasy VII as a pretty good action RPG or because they managed to turn the disaster that was FFXIV into a good MMORPG eventually.

None of these achievements have given me hope that they are capable of creating a proper Final Fantasy game that give you the right feel.

DaniPooo

Solaine

Personally, Final Fantasy stopped being Final Fantasy when Sakaguchi stopped developing the game.
But really Final Fantasy can be anything with the name slapped onto it and they really tried changing the formula left and right after X. I am curious if there is anyone who likes every mainline Final fantasy game as usually i only see people in team "XIV and XV" or team "everything before XI more or less" with XIII being the one most people dislike, XII the one nobody talks and XI the one nobody played

Edited on by Solaine

"on a scale of 1 to 10, she's an 11, and she'd give herself a 12" ~The Burst, Furi

DaniPooo

Solaine wrote:

Personally, Final Fantasy stopped being Final Fantasy when Sakaguchi stopped developing the game.
But really Final Fantasy can be anything with the name slapped onto it and they really tried changing the formula left and right after X. I am curious if there is anyone who likes every mainline Final fantasy game as usually i only see people in team "XIV and XV" or team "everything before XI more or less" with XIII being the one most people dislike, XII the one nobody talks and XI the one nobody played

I do like everything up to XII, minus XI. It’s not as I don’t like XI though, I never saw it as a main line Final Fantasy game, even if Square wants me to.

I would say that VI-IX is the golden era (debating with myself is I should include X and X-2).
The other games are good as well.

I actually like VIII, yes the growth system is a flawed and confusing mess (especially for newcomers) But these days I actually enjoy that system quite a bit.

XIII and it’s sequels as well as XV are not entirely bad games, but they are not great and does not live up to the expectations of a Final Fantasy title.

Edited on by DaniPooo

DaniPooo

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic