Forums

Topic: General Final Fantasy Thread

Posts 1,481 to 1,500 of 1,675

Eel

Huh true, the iOS version does not have controller support. That’s odd!

I’m sure they’ll add it at some point though, like they did with (most of) the older ones.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

TheFrenchiestFry

@Eel It doesn't have controller support but that's also probably for the time being to emphasize the "touch anywhere to move" set up they seem to all share which honestly kind of works for something like a turn based RPG

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Eel

It honestly needs work. You can’t use it to comfortably play the game all by itself.

When you’re in tap mode, you can’t go in or out of hidden passages, so you must switch to the other mode.

Honestly it would be the perfect mode to play if the game allowed you to hold your tap to initiate a floating dpad, to move freely and use the secret passages.

Specially since the normal mode has a large digital analog stick that is always there in the corner, even though it’s mostly redundant (you can just start swiping anywhere in the screen to move in any direction)… So if the tap mode was self-sufficient, it would be my preferred mode.

Alternatively, the virtual analog stick would be better if the game allowed you to tap on it and use it like an action button as well.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

VoidofLight

So, from the first few hours I’ve spent in Heavensward, the new voices are jarring. I miss Alphinaud’s original voice, since it fit the character way more than his current one. I haven’t been able to hear the other scion’s voices, mainly since they haven’t appeared yet, but the Lalafell secretary has a similar voice to her original appearance in the base game.

It’s also strange how some msq’s don’t have titles until you accept them, and when you first reach an area, the map fills out as you travel, giving you exp for every area you discover. I like this, but also feel like I’m going to get overleveled and waste exp before I get the full game.

The storyline is also really good, with the 2.55 patch in ARR shaking up the story intensely, making me realize that I cared for the characters way more than I thought I did. Without spoiling anything, I just want to say that Raubanh is a badass.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

TheFrenchiestFry

Nobuo Uematsu didn't even have to go as hard on FFII's Pixel Remaster OST as he did but he did

TheFrenchiestFry

Eel

And the games seem to have slightly different vibes in their soundtracks too. I’ve noticed II tends to use classy and orchestrated arrangements, while FFIII seems to like electric guitars and synthesized sounds.

Bloop.

TheFrenchiestFry

@Eel The route they went with III was super interesting because I honestly thought it would've been more thematically appropriate to switch the styles of II and III's OSTs around. III always evoked more of a classic role-playing feel to me while I know II was largely notable for its darker story at the time despite the fact it's viewed as one of the weaker entries in the franchise

III's emphasis on the electric guitar and a really rock-esque feel injects a completely different energy into the game, I guess to seperate it a bit more from the 3D remake

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Eel

@TheFrenchiestFry It kinda reminds me of old anime in a way. So since it's the breeziest of the two, perhaps an upbeat style fits it better. And yeah, with the other remake, we now have two different flavors.

(Also I still love how regular battles have a different, tinier, arrangement when you battle under the effects of Mini)

II on the other hand is a more somber game, it takes itself a little bit more seriously. So it fits, I think.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Eel

(FFIII Remaster)

Well today I found out that there’s two extremely easily missable hidden items in Saronia, they have a very short window of time where you can obtain them, and they’re needed for one achievement. It is one of those achievements that don’t let you mix and match from multiple save files, you need to complete it in one file.

Guess which is the one achievement I’m missing.

Bloop.

Ralizah

Oh wow, yeah, FFIII's PR OST sounds fantastic.

I hope they port these games sooner than later. The 3D FF3 on NDS/PSP is still one of the better games in the series.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Eel

I do feel like I still like the 3D remake better, but this one was also a joy to play. Specially taking the time to enjoy the music, and comparing this to the other version.

Thankfully even though they changed the Bard job, it is still one of the best support jobs in the game. So I was able to use it effectively to auto through most the battles while I completed the bestiary.

Bloop.

Eel

So. A continuation on the achievement story.

Since I had foreseen the possibility of missable things, I actually kept copies of my save file throughout the adventure. So today I went and picked the best checkpoint to get all the secret items in the least amount of time.

And then went and pretty much speed ran about half of the game in a single sitting, focusing on getting the items and nothing else.

Then, after getting the last super weapon in Eureka, I finally saw it. The fabled “item detector” achievement, the one thing I was missing, besides the final achievement you get for getting all the others of course!

I waited. Ready to take a screenshot of my final “Master of III” achievement… And… Nothing happened?

Sigh. Of course, with my luck, of course a glitch or something had to happen.

Tomorrow I’ll try beating the Cloud of Darkness and watching the credits again… To see if that somehow triggers it.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Kirby_EU

@JokerCK

I accidentally put in the wrong topic, so I now deleted that I can put in the right topic

Kirby_EU

Eel

Huh. I hadn’t played Final Fantasy VI (old mobile ver.) lately so I installed and launched it on my iPhone and… The game looks wrong?

When I played it originally, the characters looked taller. And indeed, if I launch the game on the iPad or other devices (I also have it for steam and android), the characters are taller. It’s like the entire screen is squashed and stretched on the iPhone. That’s ugly.

I wonder when did they just… Ruin the aspect ratio? I doubt they’ll ever fix it now too.

Bloop.

TheFrenchiestFry

@Eel It's both the sprite art and the redone backgrounds/UI. Everything has a super "flash game" feel to it and the pixel shading on the sprites is just completely gone now which makes all the new sprites clash with the backgrounds

The UI is also horrendous even on PC since it was completely resized to fit touch interfaces. Pixel Remaster probably exists partially as an apology for the way V and VI were handled up to this point

TheFrenchiestFry

Eel

Well I mean, I don’t mind the graphics. The problem here is that the current version for iPhones looks weird and deformed.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Purgatorium

I haven't played the new pixel remasters myself but I've seen them played and reviewed. My impression is that they're mostly graphical updates of the originals with some balance and bug fixes and QOL improvements like save features, makings a little easier etc. Some of the story changes in previous remakes were not included.

I think the PSP versions of FF1 and FF2 are good enough. They don't need to improve on them. The pixel graphics of those are higher quality than the new ones and they have all the bug and script fixes you'd want. So it seems like the new pixel remakes are a step down from the PSP. Odd.

If they came out on Switch, I think I'd get FF3. The 3D remake was good but I'd love to play a version more faithful to the original but with bugs fixed and jobs re-balanced. That's what it looks like.

I'm curious about the impressions of people who've played them so far.

Purgatorium

Eel

The things they decide to change or not are pretty arbitrary to be honest. While they’re not bad games at all, it's clear to me that the "These games are based on the originals and don't include things from other versions!" disclaimer is more of an excuse or marketing thing.

They can’t really say they’re straight remasters because they’re considerably lowered in difficulty, and they do incorporate changes from previous remakes and new changes as well.

It’s just like, they simply decided the expansions to content (story/monsters/items) were not necessary or worth the effort.

On the subject of III I was honestly surprised how similar it is to the 3D remake. The main change is that instead of four characters expressing their opinions during scenes, you mostly have only one (the red one). The 3D remake also removed a few minor characters in favor of giving their expository roles to the new Warriors of Light.

You can actually tell they took some of the random NPCs from early in the game and transformed them into Arc and Ingus. That was fun to see.

In the 3D remake you can’t have as many monsters on screen, so some of them, as well as bosses, can attack multiple times per turn, and they’re generally stronger and hardier. In the 2D remaster, the only monsters that can overwhelm you are the ones that divide/summon if you’re not equipped for those.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Purgatorium

That's interesting. Many of those changes aren't make or break for me tbh.

I personally don't mind if they reduced the depth of the story in FF3. I enjoy FF1 well enough and it doesn't have any story or plot. And the monster limitations of the 3D remake is probably my biggest complaint of the game. So restoring the monster count to the NES original sounds like a welcome change.

The difficulty thing sucks though. Would be great if they fixed the bugs in FF1 and 2 and restored the difficulty to the originals.

Purgatorium

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic