Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 41,681 to 41,700 of 69,964

JaxonH

Holy moly... 5.5 hours minimum battery life for Zelda? Up to 9.5 hrs?

Good night, sign me up! Where can I preorder?

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Magician

NEStalgia wrote:

The frustrating part is they refuse to see how little sense such a device would make both from a business perspective, and from a consumer perspective outside that small "Nintendo hardcore" niche

I agree, having the next iteration of Switch be a whole new platform rather than a half-step upgrade is preferable. But the existence of "New" 3DS/2DS means that Nintendo likes to weigh their options. SNES Virtual Console games can't be played on a stock 3DS, you need a "New" 3DS/2DS. And there's the handful of 3DS games exclusive to the "New" 3DS/2DS such as Xenoblade Chronicles.

Again, I think you're right, just...never say "never".

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

EvilLucario

@NEStalgia Honestly traditional consoles have had their advantages shrink more and more. PC gaming, Epic or no, is pretty easy and still has uses beyond gaming. Hybrid/handheld is really catching up to stationary things.

I don't understand people who just want a box. So they're saying they don't want a hybrid system... but don't want to put in the work to upkeep a PC that outperforms consoles?

🤔

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

BruceCM

Well, for instance, I'm no expert in upgrading PCs myself, @EvilLucario .... There's probably some can't be bothered with the hassle, as well If it wasn't for those factors, there wouldn't be anything like the market for consoles
It's hardly unheard of, people basically wanting the either impossible or unrealistic, either

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

JaxonH

@Ryu_Niiyama
Can you verify for me this Dragon Quest XI S Switch is the new model with extended battery life please? (Or anyone who reads Japanese fluently)

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/hardware/switch/had/index.html

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

NEStalgia

@EvilLucario Never underestimate convenience...I don't think a "plug and play" packaged solution will ever go away, even if it means an Alienware box. And PC gaming isn't "easy" since you still need customized hardware, most consumers aren't going to install that (and the average consumer computer wouldn't even accomodate a video card in the slimline case, and laptops can't at all - which have replaced desktops almost entirely outside the business environment) And of course the up-front cost is just silly (but if they keep raising console prices, that reinforces the lack of advantage there.)

I think "you can use the computer for other things" is a standard PC gaming defense by school students After school age, you're probably using a laptop for computing, would find it impractical/unacceptable/security-violating to mix a business machine and a gaming machine, and/or spend all day at a computer and would rather cut off your arm and beat yourself over the head with it than spend a single moment of your free time than is necessary touching a computer for anything other than playing games PC will really remain it's own thing for enthusiasts. And predominantly students, I think, that can justify it as "not a toy, it's for school" Employers are less likely to believe that

BUT I do agree that at the rate hybrid/handheld is pacing things it just makes sense to go that way. Given that, just for the reason PC is enthusiast I gave above - laptops have replaced desktops almost entirely outside office/business use, why shouldn't portable gaming systems be the logical replacement for set top boxes? (And ultimately the two can go together with a Surface laptop/tablet/XBox gaming system eventually?)

@BruceCM In my case I was 100% PC Master Race for a good decade or so. I made all the same arguments EvilLucario makes and then some for it. I laughed at consoles, etc. And that was in the dark days where it was much harder to keep running - drivers broke the OS all the time, reinstalls constantly, hardware standards changes every 18 months so you have to throw out everything to replace anything (need an upgraded video card? You need AGP now! Now you need AGP Pro! Now you need AGP 2.0! Now you need AGP 3.0! Oops we're changing to PCI-E, so now you need that! Oops, now it's PCI-E3!) And each one required a new motherboard. Which usually required new RAM, which meant a new CPU. Basically every 18-24 months you'd throw out the whole PC and build a new one - and to run the latest games at the highest settings it would set you back $2,000+. And then spend 2 months getting the drivers right.

It was a mess back then. These kids have it easier today....but it's still somewhat messy and not plug and play by far. It's far from being a consumer appliance.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Magician Yeah, the handling of New 3DS at launch was weird. The virtual console thing, I suspect, had to do with the WiiU tanking...they expected to be selling that on the home console and had to retrofit it to the handheld that actually made sales. I think that was an odd (and bad) workaround for the WiiU's hole than an intention to split the platform. The N3DS specific games were and odd choice, as well. Given that they said they'd do that, at launch, and then didnt' tells me there was (rightful) company conflict on that. It was kind of a poor decision there trying to fragment games on the same platform between a hardware revision. Not sure who got the idea that was a good plan (maybe one of Iwata's few real errors...) but it would only have led to massive consumer confusion if they kept on that path.

NEStalgia

Therad

NEStalgia wrote:

@EvilLucario Never underestimate convenience...I don't think a "plug and play" packaged solution will ever go away, even if it means an Alienware box. And PC gaming isn't "easy" since you still need customized hardware, most consumers aren't going to install that (and the average consumer computer wouldn't even accomodate a video card in the slimline case, and laptops can't at all - which have replaced desktops almost entirely outside the business environment) And of course the up-front cost is just silly (but if they keep raising console prices, that reinforces the lack of advantage there.)

I think "you can use the computer for other things" is a standard PC gaming defense by school students After school age, you're probably using a laptop for computing, would find it impractical/unacceptable/security-violating to mix a business machine and a gaming machine, and/or spend all day at a computer and would rather cut off your arm and beat yourself over the head with it than spend a single moment of your free time than is necessary touching a computer for anything other than playing games PC will really remain it's own thing for enthusiasts. And predominantly students, I think, that can justify it as "not a toy, it's for school" Employers are less likely to believe that

BUT I do agree that at the rate hybrid/handheld is pacing things it just makes sense to go that way. Given that, just for the reason PC is enthusiast I gave above - laptops have replaced desktops almost entirely outside office/business use, why shouldn't portable gaming systems be the logical replacement for set top boxes? (And ultimately the two can go together with a Surface laptop/tablet/XBox gaming system eventually?)

@BruceCM In my case I was 100% PC Master Race for a good decade or so. I made all the same arguments EvilLucario makes and then some for it. I laughed at consoles, etc. And that was in the dark days where it was much harder to keep running - drivers broke the OS all the time, reinstalls constantly, hardware standards changes every 18 months so you have to throw out everything to replace anything (need an upgraded video card? You need AGP now! Now you need AGP Pro! Now you need AGP 2.0! Now you need AGP 3.0! Oops we're changing to PCI-E, so now you need that! Oops, now it's PCI-E3!) And each one required a new motherboard. Which usually required new RAM, which meant a new CPU. Basically every 18-24 months you'd throw out the whole PC and build a new one - and to run the latest games at the highest settings it would set you back $2,000+. And then spend 2 months getting the drivers right.

It was a mess back then. These kids have it easier today....but it's still somewhat messy and not plug and play by far. It's far from being a consumer appliance.

Your anectdotes are really outdated. As long as you have basic computer skills (i.e can handle a laptop), I would argue that you can buy a brand gaming PC now and only need to install steam and connect an account and be on your way.

Heck, that is basically what I have been doing the last 10 years. It is mostly the preconceived notion that a console is so much simpler that is in the way for people.

Fun fact, I bought gaming PC and a Wii u almost at the same time. Which one do you think was the one that frustrated me most? I give you a hint, it was the box that forced me to do stupid stuff like creating a mii during installation.

Therad

BruceCM

That's all the things I'd be concerned about, if I was thinking of getting a Gaming PC, @NEStalgia Most people I know who do that know enough to do most of the work themselves But most people don't have the knowledge or probably the time to learn enough about such things Not when there's easier options available.... Which will continue being so as long as the demand is there

SW-4357-9287-0699

TuVictus

Haha yeah, honestly it's probably the same amount of "hassle" as owning a modern day console. Still get annoyed by a new game release only to be greeted with "10GB update installing". Bonus points for the console itself also needing to update

TuVictus

Ryu_Niiyama

@JaxonH I had to go digging for the original specs tweet but yeah they are the same line as the other two revision models. UGH which means I gotta drop about six hundo on this. I'm sure you are importing but if you find a site that is cheaper than 500 can you let me know? Nin Nin is sold out and they were the lowest that I could find.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Therad

Octane wrote:

Therad wrote:

Your anectdotes are really outdated.

Isn't everything @NEStalgia says?

I can neither confirm nor deny if that is the case.

Therad

NEStalgia

@Therad We're talking about building a gaming rig, though. Even "back then" you could buy an off the shelf gaming PC, but then if we're comparing the average up-charge of a preconfigured gaming PC to a PS4/PS5.....the cost differential is too great to make it a viable comparison compared to self-building vs. a console cost.

And a desktop gaming PC is still not the PC most people are buying as their normal use PC. And it's still not couch friendly, needing a keyboard and mouse to setup. And configure logins, power settings, audio settings, etc. And even a preconfigured box is going to run into more "this odd error comes up when I try to run this game, and my video drivers or chipset drivers are out of date" issues than a console. Which means getting the keyboard out instead of plopping on the couch with a controller. For the average consumer, that's just a non-starter.

However I did include "An Alienware box" as a plug-and-play option in my original post, which already covered your point

@Octane Mrrgrrrgrrrr....

NEStalgia

Magician

The reason why I've clung to console gaming and never dabbled with PC gaming is two fold. First, console gaming is just...familiar. It's what I grew up with, it's what I'm comfortable with, and I have no qualms about playing a lesser version of any particular game. Second, I don't want to go down the rabbit hole of being tempted to update my rig with the latest and greatest every couple years. I could see myself developing that sort of habit if I were to get into PC gaming.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

JaxonH

No matter how many times PC gamers say it's just as easy, it's not. It's just as easy once you know what to do, but not everyone does. Its just as easy when you have a full proper setup, but not everyone does. 4K on a TV introduced numerous problems for me I never deal with on consoles.

Most people want a console like experience of turn on with a controller, have it turn on the TV for you and just press play. PCs dont allow that without knowledge of how to set it up, something most people just dont want to bother with. Navigating an OS with a controller, something most people dont want to deal with (and dont want to use a keyboard and mouse in the living room). And there's a lot of PC specific issues that come with it.

At the end of the day, I can totally appreciate why PC gamers love it so much, but they have to understand what they call easy isnt easy for the majority, or it is but it's a pain in the butt, and most people dojt want to spend time google searching work arounds or instructions for how to do something or make it most efficient, they just want a system they can easily turn on and press play.

It is what it is. PC gaming is awesome but, it's not for everyone. And people need to acknowledge this. The bar of entry is higher, required knowledge is higher, time required to get everything set up and working properly is much higher, and inconvenience is higher. Even choosing a storefront and install location and "oh crap why are all my games working from D drive but Dragon Age has to be installed on C" issues are a major nuisance for most people.

PC gamers have it all figured out and it seems common sense to them, but that doesnt mean it is for everyone. I just wonder how many have the self awareness to recognize that... it's not a bash on the platform, its just a reality of why many gamers dont wanna deal with it and would rather use consoles. That said, for those who do invest the time to master it all, the payout is surely well worth it.

@Ryu_Niiyama
Nice.

You know what sucks? I passed up the opportunity to preorder at Amazon Japan multiple times. Had I known about the battery increase I would have jumped all over it. I ordered the Slime Switch controller but not this.

Now, its sold out. Had to order at Play-Asia for $525 + $32 shipping. About $150 over what I would have paid. Ugh.

But no matter. If I'm gonna buy a better Switch, may as well get the one I really want...

And ya if it comes back in stock on Amazon JP I'll tag you, though I doubt it will 😔

Edited on by JaxonH

Ryu_Niiyama

@JaxonH Dang it. Yeah that is where I'm going as well. Provided it is still in stock by September. Had a bunch of car issues and I have a conference so I won't have the cash liquid till then and I think it is a pay upfront kinda deal. Then again I did just start my part time job. So I might wrangle the cash sooner.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

rallydefault

PC gaming is definitely not as easy, and I'm a PC gamer. Plenty of frustrating things happen on PC, even to those of us that build our own rigs and even know our way around some coding, that rarely if ever happen on consoles.

No matter how much you upkeep everything on PC, sometimes stuff just interacts oddly. Blue screens happen to even the best builders, sometimes catastrophically. Just a few weeks ago I installed AMD's overclocking software to give it a try, and it had an unforeseen interaction with my Ryzen CPU and my computer wouldn't boot. Thankfully I could use my laptop to sniff out solutions. Had to do some minor lines of input in DOS prompt, which isn't too much of a hassle for someone like me, but for plenty of people that kind of stuff is a headache they don't want if they can play the same games at basically the same settings.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

BruceCM

I'm all in favour of everyone gaming in whichever way(s) they like.... Glad to see PC fans here understand why many people just can't be bothered with the hassle

SW-4357-9287-0699

TuVictus

Lmao, These posts are always funny to read through Back on Switch, I finally finished Xenoblade 2 and find myself not able to start anything else. But the Dragon Quest Builders 2 demo is a fun distraction before bed. That's the best thing about the Switch, I can just play for a few minutes before falling asleep.

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic