Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 41,701 to 41,720 of 69,981

Ralizah

Different people find different things to be a hassle. I find importing games and trying to set up accounts on foreign storefronts to be a hassle, for example, which is why I won't be importing that Pokemon Switch Lite from Amazon Japan. I don't consider PC gaming to be all that complex or intimidating, but I've also played PC games for the majority of my life, so I have more of a familiarity with the issues that might crop up.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Therad

Magician wrote:

The reason why I've clung to console gaming and never dabbled with PC gaming is two fold. First, console gaming is just...familiar. It's what I grew up with, it's what I'm comfortable with, and I have no qualms about playing a lesser version of any particular game. Second, I don't want to go down the rabbit hole of being tempted to update my rig with the latest and greatest every couple years. I could see myself developing that sort of habit if I were to get into PC gaming.

Well, consoles are doing the same today with their refreshes.

Therad

Therad

@JaxonH yes, I don't think PC gaming is easier, but I also don't think it is that much harder either. Most of the quirkiness you have to learn even for an ordinary laptop. And you gain one of the richest, if not the richest, gaming platform. But to each their own.

Therad

Therad

rallydefault wrote:

PC gaming is definitely not as easy, and I'm a PC gamer. Plenty of frustrating things happen on PC, even to those of us that build our own rigs and even know our way around some coding, that rarely if ever happen on consoles.

No matter how much you upkeep everything on PC, sometimes stuff just interacts oddly. Blue screens happen to even the best builders, sometimes catastrophically. Just a few weeks ago I installed AMD's overclocking software to give it a try, and it had an unforeseen interaction with my Ryzen CPU and my computer wouldn't boot. Thankfully I could use my laptop to sniff out solutions. Had to do some minor lines of input in DOS prompt, which isn't too much of a hassle for someone like me, but for plenty of people that kind of stuff is a headache they don't want if they can play the same games at basically the same settings.

If you start doing stuff like overclocking, you are doing super advanced stuff. I would never recommend anyone doing stuff like that.

Therad

Therad

And if I might add, some genres are simply nowhere to be found on consoles or are very clunky without keyboard+mouse. I think a PC is the best complement to a switch there is.

Therad

Haruki_NLI

I saw some Neon Purple/Neon Orange Joy-Con.

Spyro colours.

Sign me the hell up.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Haruki_NLI

@Morpheel Do not fill me with dread for the eventual new Spyro game.

I need him to be good

And that crossover was a sin.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Cotillion

Therad wrote:

And if I might add, some genres are simply nowhere to be found on consoles or are very clunky without keyboard+mouse. I think a PC is the best complement to a switch there is.

I got Doom on Switch and it was pretty well unplayable for me. I did manage to power through it, but dual analog is frigging awful for FPS and props to anyone who can manage to be somewhat accurate with it. A lot of challenges I just couldn't do due to the dual analog. Got Doom on PC and it was headshots everywhere and a joy to play. Challenges were easy and did them all with kb/m.
Last time I buy a FPS on any console. It's no wonder some console FPS consider kb/m to be cheating

Cotillion

BruceCM

Oh, so that can be my excuse for struggling in that game, @Cotillion ... Thanks!

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Magician

Therad wrote:

Well, consoles are doing the same today with their refreshes.

You're not wrong about the refreshes. However, my personal philosophy still stands. I've avoided temptation by not purchasing a PS4 Pro or Xbox One X. My launch-day PS4 continues to serve me well, here, nearly six years now. If I were a PC gamer I probably would've gone through two or three upgrades to my GPU in that span.

Edit: P.S. - [OT] Bah, I've grown tired of waiting for the Japanese eShop to update information regarding English support for Dead or School. Time to reach out to Studio Nanafushi. Perhaps I can get the answer directly.

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Buizel

Ralizah wrote:

I find importing games and trying to set up accounts on foreign storefronts to be a hassle, for example, which is why I won't be importing that Pokemon Switch Lite from Amazon Japan.

Just curious what the issue is here? I believe the store front that appears on your Switch is determined by the region of your Nintendo account, rather than the region of your console (that's the case for Western consoles at least, I dunno about Japanese ones!)

Also very happy how open people are being about the complications of PC gaming. It annoys me when PC gamers insist that it's as easy as console gaming (speaking as someone who generally gets his multiplats on PC - it's not. Every game comes with the potential of it not working for some random reason.) PC gaming also has the major downside of not being able to suspend games - which, conversely, is what I find to be one of the major benefits of modern game consoles, especially the Switch.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

EvilLucario

@NEStalgia You are correct that plug-and-play is much easier, but generally these people you see complain about Switch's hybrid approach are those same enthusiasts posting on forums. Not casuals, which I can still see consoles for. These enthusiasts are already in the upper echelon of informed consumers that can figure out PC gaming. Casuals don't care about framerates or resolution or graphical quality. These guys do, and if they don't pursue the best option to play games... well, that's on them, right? If they cared so much, they'd pursue it.

It's basically calling their bluff and seeing if they put their money where their mouth is. I don't exactly hate consoles, I grew up with them and not PC gaming throughout my life, but when people get uppity about framerates and stuff but still remain on consoles, it's like come on...

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

HobbitGamer

@EvilLucario Yup. Beauty of a free market in terms of gaming.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

NEStalgia

@EvilLucario fair point. After i finally got sick of the mess if overheating pcs rocking a dozen 80mm high rpm fans heating a room 10 degrees, i accepted the inherent performance loss of consoles as worth the reduced stress they can too!

NEStalgia

Grumblevolcano

CTR is still very active online on Switch. Glad my decision to pick Switch version over XB1 version last month paid off.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ryu_Niiyama

@NEStalgia I keep telling you to find out who has that voodoo doll of you at MS....

On Topic
I consider myself a console gamer even though I do game on PC for a lot (not all) but a lot of my multiplats and I have to say with the refreshes, constant updates, long installs and patches I am finding console gaming to be much more frustrating by far. Except for switch, but at this point PC is becoming my "it just works" platform.

Except Fallout 3 which still hates my computer (and windows 7 in general )

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

NEStalgia

@Ryu_Niiyama how is any of that different on pc? Windows gets weekly updates, games have the same exact patches, and hardware can be refreshed continuously.... Same basically.

NEStalgia

Grumblevolcano

@NEStalgia Will you be getting Scarlett if Halo Infinite is the last 1st party XB1 game or will you go to PS5?

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ryu_Niiyama

@NEStalgia My gaming rig is running win 7, and I only check for updates once a week. I have not upgraded my gpu in 4 years (and that was only to throw more mods at skyrim.) I've not had a bunch of issues with patches. I install, and it just works. So long as it isn't Fallout 3, I couldn't tell you the last time a game crashed on me. That being said I'm terrified to go to win 10 for gaming as I pretty much curse out my Surface mentally like every patch tuesday.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic