Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Posts 4,241 to 4,260 of 4,507

Grumblevolcano

Sakuna spirits coming on Friday:

So between these and the Razewing Ratha spirit currently obtainable via MH Stories 2 save data the spirit total is increased to 1490.

Here's the spirits per fighters pass character:

• Joker - 13
  • Hero - 13
  • Banjo - 9
  • Terry - 12
  • Byleth - 14
  • Min Min - 7 (changed some spirit battles from the base game to fill up DLC spirit board)
  • Steve - 11
  • Sephiroth - 14
  • Pyra/Mythra - 8 (changed some spirit battles from the base game to fill up DLC spirit board)
  • Kazuya - 13

I think the final spirit count will be 1500.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

fighting_game_player

@Grumblevolcano Seems likely to me. I think 1500 spirits is a nice number to round it out. What bothers me is that the "final" update will probably be version 13.0 and I really hate that number. I just hope we see a version 14.0 before the game is complete.

"as I roll along I begin to find.. things aren't always just what they seem.."

Twitter:

SKTTR

Grumblevolcano wrote:

I think the final spirit count will be 1500.

Fujimoto-San wrote:

@Grumblevolcano Seems likely to me. I think 1500 spirits is a nice number to round it out. What bothers me is that the "final" update will probably be version 13.0 and I really hate that number. I just hope we see a version 14.0 before the game is complete.

With the three new Sakuna: Of Rice And Ruin and three new Mario Golf: Super Rush spirits we're now at 1493 spirits. If the last fighter has only 7 new spirits (like Min Min) we'll stop at 1500. But I think there will be a couple more events leading up to the final fighter.

I think Metroid Dread and Shin Megami Tensei V will get a spirit event at the very least.
Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin spirit event was a surprise, it seemingly came out of nowhere, just like the Kunio-kun and Warframe spirits, so there can always be a few more like that.

Octopath Traveler spirit event came very late (two years after release I think), so there is the possibility to have more games with late spirit events.

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

Snatcher

@Grumblevolcano sounds right to me.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Grumblevolcano

@SKTTR I think it depends on when the last fighter releases, we know there's no content after the final fighter so if the final fighter releases in September I don't think there'd be Metroid Dread spirits unless the final fighter is a Metroid character. Same with SMTV if the final fighter isn't a SMT character and the final fighter releases before November.

As for the final fighter, I think we'll get Dixie Kong with the final stage being based on Tropical Freeze. Crash would be a very bad choice for a fighter given recent events.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

SKTTR

@Grumblevolcano

In the last Sakurai Presents, he prepared us for a long wait that could stretch out until November/December.

Dixie Kong would be nice (as she's the main character in the best DKC game ever, DKC2, and player's top choice in Tropical Freeze), but we already got King K. Rool as a new DK fighter so chances for even more DK content are pretty low at this point. Apart from that, there was already a Tropical Freeze stage in the Wii U version, and that was cut from Ultimate.
Similar for Metroid's case. Smash Ultimate already got 2 new fighters (Ridley and Dark Samus), so wouldn't expect another new playable Metroid fighter.

Crash never had a chance to begin with, as there are plenty of better and more iconic platformers out there not represented yet (Conker, Bubble Bobble, Wonder Boy, Goemon, Chibi-Robo, Rayman, Spyro, to name a few) especially now that there's only one fighter left. Western characters have a hard time to get into Smash anyway, and for the final fighter it has to be someone as huge/legendary as Minecraft Steve who is already out or Doomguy who has unfortunately little chances due to its content. So, it will likely be either a Japanese 3rd party or a 1st party character. However, Crash's loud fans might get a Mii costume in the final set if they're lucky.

Grumblevolcano

@SKTTR The Wii U stage was based on DKC Returns, all Tropical Freeze got between Smash 3DS/Wii U and Ultimate was 2 songs and a Lord Fredrik trophy/spirit.

Grumblevolcano

SKTTR

@Grumblevolcano Yeah right, it was a Donkey Kong Country Returns stage.

@DarthNocturnal The reason I hear most for Crash's inclusion is that he's a popular Playstation 1 icon, like Lara Croft. But people tend to forget that Persona/SMT, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Dragon Quest, Castlevania, etc. all have games dating back to the NES.

There are only 3 third party fighters in the game from series that were not ported to or developed for a Nintendo console first:

Sonic - First appearance in a Nintendo game: 2001 (Sonic Adventure 2: Battle)
or 1995 if you count Sonic's shoes in Donkey Kong Country 2

Kazuya - first appearance in a Nintendo game: 2001 (Tekken Advance)
Just like Sonic it's now Tekken's 20th year on Nintendo.

Steve - first appearance in a Nintendo game: 2015 (Minecraft - Wii U Edition)
It broke all records, so nothing else to say.

Yeah, even Terry was in multiple SNES and Game Boy games, and Bayonetta is a special case that Nintendo is heavily involved with, at least financially.

Crash was always hyped up out of proportion because Sony needed a Mario for their Playstation 1. In reality Playstation 1 was too weak for something like Super Mario 64 or Banjo-Kazooie. If you only had a Playstation back then you wouldn't even know what a good 3D platformer is. ^^

Edited on by SKTTR

TheFrenchiestFry

@SKTTR Well there are arguments to be made for those other franchises as well

For one Persona specifically, which represents Atlus in Smash, has been essentially PlayStation and PC exclusive since day 1, with it being the first franchise in Smash that has none of its main entries (P1-5) playable on any Nintendo hardware. The reason it was chosen over SMT which actually has substantial Nintendo history is likely due to the fact Persona is just considerably more popular worldwide and had more of a pull from the casual gaming crowd compared to other MegaTen series

Final Fantasy did start on NES for sure but VII specifically and just every game in that franchise from the late 90's to the mid 2000's were more commonly associated with Sony hardware being that during this time mainline entries were PlayStation exclusive while Nintendo just got spinoffs and side games like Tactics Advance and Crystal Chronicles. It's a similar case with Persona where they could've probably chosen a rep like Terra, Locke, Kefka, Bartz or Cecil who'd resonate more with the Nintendo audience, but EVERYONE knows who Cloud and Sephiroth are. They're the Mario and Bowser of JRPGs despite having next to no relevance with Nintendo given it took about two decades for VII to show up on a Nintendo console and the majority of its associated content like Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus and the Remake are still firmly only on PlayStation consoles

Metal Gear also didn't start on the NES as that was a port of the original MSX title that brought the game over to the West. It started development without Kojima's consent or knowledge on the project and he'd eventually just write it out of the canon. It and its sequel have completely different plots from the MSX Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake, which are the games the Solid series is a continuation of. MGS in particular was again, a big title for PlayStation and despite Metal Gear having a multiplatform presence on Xbox and Nintendo, much like SMT the large majority of the games are either on PlayStation or exclusive to it in the cases of Portable Ops, Peace Walker, the Acid games and MGS4. Metal Gear at least gets by with having Twin Snakes on GameCube, Ghost Babel on GBC and MGS3 on 3DS but it's not really associated with Nintendo traditionally. Even Raiden got into PS All Stars.

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

TheFrenchiestFry

@SKTTR I can see the argument being made for Rayman and Spyro but characters like Conker, Chibi-Robo, Goemon and Bubble Bobble are absolutely nowhere near as iconic to people as Crash was. Crash and Spyro were basically the makeshift PlayStation mascots during the 90's and both were even created by now first-party Sony studios (Crash created by Naughty Dog and Spyro by Insomniac Games)

Crash and Spyro were essentially the faces of the platforming genre for the 5th generation of consoles next to Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie. If anything that lessens Conker and Chibi-Robo's chances according to you because both games are extremely niche by comparison since Conker sold well below expectations due to it coming out near the end of the N64's lifecycle and Chibi-Robo has basically always been a cult-favorite series and not at all mainstream. Nobody who isn't a hardcore Nintendo fan would know who either of them are.

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

SKTTR

@TheFrenchiestFry Yeah, that's all correct.

It wouldn't make sense for Nintendo to include a lesser known Final Fantasy or SMT/Persona character when they can have the biggest ones, the faces, the icons. Still, all these characters (with the exception of the three I mentioned earlier) are from series that had multiple exclusive games on Nintendo platforms first, years before Playstation 1 came into existence.

MSX was "Japan's Commodore 64", the countries most popular home computer before the time of Windows PCs. Even though Metal Gear had started its life on a PC, the first Metal Gear console games were on NES. Sure, the MSX original was better and the PS1 game made it really popular, but that doesn't deviate from the fact that Metal Gear was on a Nintendo before it was on a Playstation.
Apart from that, Metal Gear for the NES has the same problem as many games from back then. Is it really that much worse than games that were considered some of the best of their era, like Zelda II, Castlevania II, Metroid, Final Fantasy 123? Not really. They've all just aged a lot and got much better sequels.
Also, Sakurai is knowingly good friends with Kojima (and others in the industry) and that combined with Metal Gear's popularity is probably the biggest factor for Snake's inclusion.

Anyway, Sakurai always needs to strike a good balance between Nintendo's interests (Byleth, Min Min, Steve), his own interests (Ken, Terry, Kazuya), and fan interests (King K. Rool, Ridley, Banjo-Kazooie).

TheFrenchiestFry wrote:

@SKTTR I can see the argument being made for Rayman and Spyro but characters like Conker, Chibi-Robo, Goemon and Bubble Bobble are absolutely nowhere near as iconic to people as Crash was. Crash and Spyro were basically the makeshift PlayStation mascots during the 90's and both were even created by now first-party Sony studios (Crash created by Naughty Dog and Spyro by Insomniac Games)

Well, Chibi-Robo and Goemon are already in Smash, so from Nintendo's point of view they're more important for them than something like Crash Bandicoot. And yeah, I can see that, because I have played several games in both series and they're filled to the brim with fresh ideas, addictive gameplay, extremely fun characters, and fantastic soundtracks.

And the other platformers mentioned are just better from my point of view:

Bubble Bobble was mindblowingly good and was ported to EVERYTHING (NES magazines had Bubble Bobble always in their Top 10, for years!). Any way you look at it, it was the most popular arcade game from 1986, and if you look up "Best Games for any 8-bit system" you will find Bubble Bobble in the top ranks. And the series still goes strong, with at least 3 different games/variations on Switch and tons of Puzzle Bobble clones.
Anyway, Bubble Bobble suffers because of its Square Enix acquisition, just like Bomberman suffers from Konami's acquisition. Square Enix and Konami want their original popular brands in Smash first, and once they run out of their Mana heroes, Chrono Triggers, and Alucards, they might give us a Taito or Hudson Soft fighter.

Conker's Bad Fur Day is hands down Rareware's real masterpiece and N64's technically most advanced game. It's so good that Microsoft wanted it to be Rareware's first Xbox game (and they got it!)

And yeah, I couldn't care less about Crash, Spyro, and Rayman as they were just mediocre attempts to copy Mario and Sonic, but it's not hard to see that Spyro and Rayman have better games than Crash (back then - nowadays it should be even more obvious), so I put them higher.

DarthNocturnal wrote:

@SKTTR
Kinda sounds like you're dismissing a character just because you personally dislike them. But that doesn't magically make them unpopular, anymore then liking a character means they or their franchise must be popular. And sure, not everyone likes Crash... but then, not everyone likes Mario 64, either.

It's not like I don't like Crash, in fact I would place him on #5 for PS1 platformers, after Rayman, Spyro, Klonoa, and Croc. It's just that he wouldn't make my top 10 when I include N64 platformers.

Edited on by SKTTR

WCB

I'm having trouble having with the No More Heroes 3 spirit event. I have FU and and Travis but the other one has never appeared. Anyone else having the same problem?

EDIT: Okay, nevermind, I worked it out.

Edited on by WCB

Xbox Gamertag: Chrysler2271
PSN: kissoon32
Switch Friend Code: SW-5919-0229-7098

Grumblevolcano

I was looking at the settings and it turns out that if you have Echo Fighters setting as "Stacked" then the character select screen is 1 character away from a full rectangle which lines up with 1 fighter left. There's no similar setting for stages so stage select is 4 stages away from a full rectangle.

Grumblevolcano

SKTTR

One hour left to get the NMH3 spirits.

Don't forget to get the Travis Touchdown spirit twice!

Grumblevolcano

The Direct added 2 more Ultimate newcomers getting mainline games coming to Switch. Richter with Castlevania Advance Collection and Banjo with N64 NSO. This leaves Joker and Kazuya as the only ones that don't.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Slinkoy1

Hot take, but if sora is the last smash fighter I will cry, in not a good way. In my opinion sora is just the one character I never want to see ever in smash, because of Disney, which I don’t wan to get into why I don’t like Disney. And everybody would just think he’s cool for two seconds then realize he’s the same generic anime swordsman we’ve gotten all fighter pass. At this point I’m fine with anybody but sora, because of Disney, and his fans, they are so gosh darn annoying.

Hi

Ulysses

@Slinkoy1 I just don't think Disney will agree to Sora. Disney has a palpably tense relationship with Nintendo. For instance, the Switch still has yet to receive a new Star Wars game, or Kingdom Hearts 3.

But, wouldn't it be hilarious if Mickey is the final fighter?

At this point I really have no idea who it will be. I keep defaulting on Waluigi to prevent myself from being disappointed if it really is him.

Ulysses

Snatcher

@Slinkoy1 It could happen, but I wold really shocked that Disney would let em.

All I want is eggman or tetris.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

VoidofLight

I feel like the final fighter is probably going to be the SMT V protagonist.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic