Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Posts 4,181 to 4,200 of 4,508

kkslider5552000

Doomslayer and Master Chief are the only ones I've heard as much as those tbh. (which is a shame, since I want Rayman)

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

TheFrenchiestFry

@link3710 There is a following for Demi-fiend to get in as a second Atlus rep so both Shin Megami Tensei and Persona are repped in Smash, seeing as how the former has way more Nintendo ties compared to the latter

The SMT V Protag thing is really recent

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

link3710

@TheFrenchiestFry Yeah, but I've seen it mentioned a bunch of late, and it wouldn't be the first time a character has launched around the time of their game coming out. Plus, we know the protag was most likely fully designed in time as well.

link3710

fighting_game_player

Uh.. When exactly was Kazuya going to join the battle? I heard it was at 9:00 a.m. (eastern time) but there's no new updates as of now..

"as I roll along I begin to find.. things aren't always just what they seem.."

Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

@Fujimoto-San UK version of the stream showed a release date of June 30th so timing is probably something like:

5pm PT (June 29th)/8pm ET (June 29th)/1am BST (June 30th)

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Snatcher

@Grumblevolcano Ya its always 5pm. (For me anyway)

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Grumblevolcano

Sophia and Arthur spirits are now available for everyone, no longer need save data from their respective games to obtain. They can now be found in the usual ways like Spirit Board, Classic completion rewards, shop.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Randomname19

Someone probably already said this.But it sucks we have Kazuya in Smash,but no Tekken on Switch.I don't even want B-N to put effort into downgrading Tekken 7.Just give me a port ot Tekken TagTournament 2.I loved that game on Wii U.The roster,Nintendo costumes and Mushroom Kingdom mode were great.
And the character customization was amazing.I managed to recreate pretty faithfully anime characters like Inuyasha and turn Angel into Palutena.

Edited on by Randomname19

Avatar by AzulieZeiro and BeanMChocolate

TheFrenchiestFry

Honestly could not care less about lack of Tekken on Switch. Tekken on Nintendo has had a super sporadic history to begin with and it's not like Ultimate's exactly hiding the fact it wants its roster to transcend just characters that appeal to Nintendo fans

Tag 2 on Switch would be cool but then people would complain about no Tekken 7 lol

TheFrenchiestFry

Tobiaku

@Northwind
Regarding point 1, Terry was in Pass 1. FP2 has been Min min, Steve, Sephiroth, Pyra & Mythra and Kazuya

Tobiaku

3DS Friend Code: 1977-0291-4355

TheFrenchiestFry

I feel like even if the last DLC character ends up being a first party Nintendo character people who primarily play on Nintendo systems will largely be disappointed by the Smash DLC for how biased towards third party characters it is

I honestly have no problem at all with it, especially given I didn't even flat out love any of the actual first party reps that were featured as DLC this time around and the third party franchises for the most part are ones that I've either been wanting for a long time to happen or are characters I knew I would want but never really thought about their chances of making it

Kazuya's another example of a character I never thought would happen in this game but I genuinely love the emphasis on fighting game characters Sakurai has put on all those reps. You can tell he has a massive respect for the genre and wants to implement as much as he possibly can to cater both to Smash's playstyle and fans of the games characters like Ryu, Terry and Kazuya come from. I'm not even as big on Tekken compared to traditional 2D fighters but they put so much effort into fully representing him and his background, down to even using the Tekken announcer in place of Xander Mobus that he just feels like a labor of love

I honestly roll my eyes whenever people are like "Who even asked for this character" because you should be able to just take one look at their franchise and understand why they deserve the slot. Tekken is basically neck and neck with Street Fighter as the face of the FGC at this point and Kazuya is one of the most recognizable fighting game characters of all time even next to characters in his own family tree. It really doesn't matter that he doesn't cater to Nintendo fans' tastes or that he's third party. He's an icon in every sense of the word. We shouldn't HAVE to ask for freaking Tekken to be featured in another fighting game. Hell Kazuya's technically already fought against other Final Fantasy, Street Fighter and Fatal Fury characters as is

TheFrenchiestFry

Grumblevolcano

@Northwind Joker is the first, not Kazuya.

Persona - Q (3DS), Q2 (3DS), Strikers (Switch)
Tekken - Advance (GBA), 3D Prime Edition (3DS), Tag Team Tournament 2 (Wii U)

So Joker set the precedent for 3rd party characters that it didn't matter what Nintendo system presence there was for a franchise to be in Smash provided at least 1 game is on a Nintendo system (even if it's just a spinoff).

If Nintendo wanted a more Nintendo focused Atlus franchise, they'd have gone for a character like Demi-Fiend from SMT Nocturne or the protagonist from the upcoming Switch exclusive SMTV instead.

I think the 3rd party fighters without much of a Nintendo system presence might be a sign for the future much like how Playstation exclusive Final Fantasy came to Switch a few years after Cloud came to Smash 3DS/Wii U. Well I could see a Tekken game to Switch and if those Persona on Xbox rumours actually come to anything (I don't believe them), it'll also come to Switch.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

TheFrenchiestFry

@Northwind Kazuya is FAR from the first

Dating back to Smash Wii U, Cloud got in when his game of origin had never touched anything with Nintendo in the name, and right after Remake was announced as a PS4 exclusive. The only things he appeared in on those platforms were usually small spinoffs like Thearhythm and Kingdom Hearts. Even Ryu, who has had Street Fighter games on Nintendo consoles, ended up appearing significantly more on Sony platforms, with the latest game in his home series at that time being a PlayStation exclusive as well. I don't even have to explain Joker either. I'm pretty sure he's the first Smash character in history with none of the main entries in his home series playable on any Nintendo hardware whatsoever. Even inclusions like Snake in Brawl were notable for his franchise having very sporadic and few appearances on Nintendo platforms compared to Sony and even Xbox consoles. There's stuff like Twin Snakes being GameCube exclusive, but outside of that and Ghost Babel, Nintendo platforms mostly missed out on Metal Gear stuff, since Snake Eater 3D came out many years after Brawl, and even then no Nintendo console has ever gotten games like MGS2, 4, 5 or Rising despite there being Spirits in Ultimate using official artwork from all of those games.

This has been a thing for way longer than most people realize. It's just that before it didn't seem as obvious because there were other third party characters with more Nintendo history to balance it out Hell Kazuya has more Nintendo appearances than any of those other examples excluding Ryu, given there's stuff like Tekken Advance (a GBA port of Tekken 3), Tekken 3D on the 3DS which is based off Tekken 6 and Tag Tournament 2 on Wii U which even featured exclusive Nintendo content. That's way more right there than characters like Joker or Snake ever really got

Especially given the Switch is attracting people who've long since fallen out of love with Nintendo and moved to other platforms I think the approach of getting characters that are more widespread will only help in making Smash a more compelling purchase for them. It worked in my case since I literally bought the Fighters Pass early for Joker. Limiting things to just the third party characters super relevant to Nintendo means you're bound to run out at some point. It's extremely limiting

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

@Northwind Metal Gear did not start on Nintendo consoles. In fact the NES port was commissioned without Kojima's consent. The official canon version of the game is the MSX2 original, and it's the one that has always been re-released with every Metal Gear collection like being packaged with MGS3 Subsistence, HD Collection and the Legacy Collection on PS3. The NES original has long been stricken from canon by the existence of Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake and its subsequent sequels (which you probably should've known to begin with considering there are two tracks from the MG series in Smash that originate from the MSX2 games and not the NES games), and the last time it ever got a re-release was the Wii Virtual console version.

To answer the other questions, fighting game players may look down on Smash but the solution isn't to just flat out give up on them. Ryu, Ken, Terry and Kazuya are all important to gaming history and headline historically significant franchises regardless of their Nintendo-relevant status. Kazuya in particular comes from a series that has gone on to become pretty much as iconic and popular as Street Fighter is in the competitive and even casual scene. At least casual non-Nintendo fans will probably know Tekken by name

Nintendo players may not have much experience with Tekken but at least the franchise is known widely enough to appeal to more than just a select few people. Smash has gone way past trying to just cater to Nintendo players. I doubt those people have much experience with Persona, FFVII or Metal Gear either, but the Switch is also attractive to people who might not necessarily play typically on Nintendo consoles. I've already seen some people on Tekken communities like the subreddit saying they plan on getting a Switch for Smash to play as Kazuya, and considering Smash is literally an EVO game, of course the FGC would generally take notice of something like this

You have to remember the most important thing about Smash. It literally wouldn't exist without other fighting games. The whole idea of Smash came about when Sakurai beat someone else at KOF, and it piqued his interest in trying to simplify the formula for more casual players. The guy is a genuine fan of fighting games, and if you saw his console set up in the Min Min presentation, he plays way more than just Nintendo consoles. Without franchises like Tekken, KOF or SF, Smash wouldn't be here in the form it is today. It absolutely deserves its spot among other characters, even if Nintendo people might've preferred someone else.

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Snatcher

So does every fighter in this game have to have a game on the switch or somthin? and why is nobody talking about the fact that bandai Probably has a deal with nintendo, and has added there characters in the game, in the past.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

TheFrenchiestFry

@Snatcher Bandai literally co-developed Smash with Nintendo and Harada and Sakurai are good friends. It's not even surprising Tekken got in this quickly

TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

@Northwind Sorry I think of more points to add after the fact all the time

It's just that it's kind of disheartening seeing people condescend on picks like these in Smash when there's very legitimate reasons they do this stuff. I didn't even mention Nintendo themselves suggested Kazuya to Sakurai when they could've gone with someone more Nintendo relevant to begin with

TheFrenchiestFry

Snatcher

@TheFrenchiestFry It makes alot more sense now. I do remember reading about that, How good palls they are.

Losermagnet

Only one DLC fighter left. Something tells me it won't be Geno or Pheonix Wright. As long as it isn't Master Chief I'll be fine I guess.

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic