Forums

Topic: Pokemon Sword & Shield

Posts 2,001 to 2,020 of 3,072

Maelwolf

@Anti-Matter Yeah, I’ve played a few solo too, but consider how they were pushed as a multiplayer mode, it would be nice if it were easier to queue in with other players.

Maelwolf

-Green-

I would’ve preferred if the Max Raid Battles had a system where you can type in the name of a Pokémon you’re looking for and then eventually you’ll be placed in an available lobby of that Pokémon’s Max Raid Den. As it is right now you have to pray to RNG that you find the either find the right Den or wait forever for an available Den of that pokemon to show up.

It’s tedious. It’d be like if in Monster Hunter you were made to either wait around in a line to possibly fight the target or made to traverse the entire map just for the small chance that the monster is even there.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Gravitron

If @the_dude057 is still around I can trade you a Sobble if you want just lemme know your friend code for Switch. Mine is 5221-1925-3909

Edited on by Gravitron

Gravitron

MSTRDM

After Gym 2-3 it starts having the same gameplay, i.e. 15 minutes route,1 minute story (which I find a bit uninspiring tbh) and then a fairly simple gym challenge and battle. Call me spoiled and I know I cannot compare the two games, but after playing Witcher I’dlike to see at least some interesting storylines and perhaps a sidemission or two. I like the designs and graphics and I know I will having a blast grinding pokemon to battle against my brother, but the singleplayer lacks a bit in my opinion.

I’m 12h in, catching everything I can and talking to everyone and already have my 6th badge.

Edit:Typo

Edited on by MSTRDM

MSTRDM

Gravitron

The fact of the matter is that Pokemon is at it's core marketed towards kids. Suiting our adult needs would alienate the kid needs. If they tried to please adults in 96 it wouldn't be the phenomenal success it is today. My solution for this was difficultly settings. It wouldn't alienate either side. I'm optimistic to the future of what this franchise could accomplish

Edited on by Gravitron

Gravitron

Sisilly_G

jump wrote:

I've just caught my first shiny but it's Klink

Oh, you ingrate. sighs Fine. I'll take it off your hands if you don't want it.

If it's your first shiny Klink ever, then I can't imagine why you'd be so disappointed. I've caught three Magnemite family members over the years. While I'm glad to catch a shiny anything, I have to say that I was mildly disappointed that I hadn't encountered something different on subsequent occasions.

LeafGreen - Found a shiny Magneton in Cerulean Cave in pursuit of Mewtwo
Black 2 - Found a shiny Magnemite within 2 hours of starting the game, from memory; which was simultaneously pleasing and disappointing (I kept it in my party and evolved it to Magnezone)
Let's Go Eevee - Found a shiny Magnemite in Power Plant (however, I must have had a chain of something or other at the time, and possibly also a Shiny Charm, whereas previous instances were at base odd shiny encounter rates)

I dread to contemplate just how many shinies I would have missed in the Let's Go games as a result of a shiny being off-camera or at the very edges of the screen and having gone unnoticed.

Edited on by Sisilly_G

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

Octane

@junp I got a shiny Swirlix. Just as disappointing.

Octane

jump

Gravitron wrote:

The fact of the matter is that Pokemon is at it's core marketed towards kids. Suiting our adult needs would alienate the kid needs. If they tried to please adults in 96 it wouldn't be the phenomenal success it is today. My solution for this was difficultly settings. It wouldn't alienate either side. I'm optimistic to the future of what this franchise could accomplish

I disagree the original games were aimed at kids, the original games were a lot tougher than any of the mainline games since. To me it always seemed it was going for the typical RPG fans with the gimmick of collecting and trading which meshes well with "geeks" as collecting is a thing in fandom.

It was the anime and merch being so successful which led to it being aimed at kids imo, even them the early Pokémon episodes were really good until it's was dumbed down and made to have as many filler episodes as possible to kill time til the next games come out.

Silly_G wrote:

jump wrote:

I've just caught my first shiny but it's Klink

Oh, you ingrate. sighs Fine. I'll take it off your hands if you don't want it.

If it's your first shiny Klink ever, then I can't imagine why you'd be so disappointed. I've caught three Magnemite family members over the years. While I'm glad to catch a shiny anything, I have to say that I was mildly disappointed that I hadn't encountered something different on subsequent occasions.

LeafGreen - Found a shiny Magneton in Cerulean Cave in pursuit of Mewtwo
Black 2 - Found a shiny Magnemite within 2 hours of starting the game, from memory; which was simultaneously pleasing and disappointing (I kept it in my party and evolved it to Magnezone)
Let's Go Eevee - Found a shiny Magnemite in Power Plant (however, I must have had a chain of something or other at the time, and possibly also a Shiny Charm, whereas previous instances were at base odd shiny encounter rates)

I dread to contemplate just how many shinies I would have missed in the Let's Go games as a result of a shiny being off-camera or at the very edges of the screen and having gone unnoticed.

I'm happy I got my first SwSh shiny but Klink is very unremarkable. I'm not a fan of the design (especially it's final form which takes it's personality away) and it's meshing of stats and move pool are poor, high attack but most of it's moves are specials. If it was a interesting looking but "weaker" poke like Gourgeist or Nickit I'd be happy to keep it on my team as right now it feels like it will just sit in a box waiting to be traded later.

I really want a shiny Impidimp, I really like it however it's final form Grimmsnarl is dark and ugly but it's shiny form is cool.

My favourite Shiny I got from the previous games was Garchomp, I was breeding one for stats and nature and it just happened to end up as a shiny.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

-Green-

The ‘it’s for kids’ excuse is lame as heck. People like to act like the games are suddenly ‘Dora the Explorer’ or something.

Octane

Yeah. I don't buy the ''it's for children'' argument either. As if that makes it okay for a game to be of lower quality, or way too easy. Mario 64 was ''for children'', but as I child I was sure I was never going to complete that game. That's just life, learn to deal with it

But it all the more shows that difficulty options aren't a bad idea for the Pokemon franchise. Maybe a ''casual'' and a ''expert'' mode or something like that.

@jump I kinda like Klang, but I don't understand why it gets a medieval torture wheel in its final stage. If it was more gear-like, I think I would've liked it more. I do like the concept, it's like a unique take on the ''same as the previous stage, but bigger'' approach of a lot of gen I Pokemon.

Octane

Sisilly_G

Octane wrote:

@jump I kinda like Klang, but I don't understand why it gets a medieval torture wheel in its final stage. If it was more gear-like, I think I would've liked it more. I do like the concept, it's like a unique take on the ''same as the previous stage, but bigger'' approach of a lot of gen I Pokemon.

It very much felt like the Magnemite of Gen V (right down to its, same-as-before-but-bigger designs of its evolutions).

And on that note, Gen V was full of Pokémon that were analogous with Gen I Pokémon, like Roggenrola was to Geodude, Pidove was to Pidgey, Patrat was to Rattata, Throh/Sawk were to Hitmonchan/Hitmonlee, Trubbish was to Grimer, Woobat was to Zubat, Timburr was to Machop, Tympole was to Poliwag.

I love Gen V, but on closer inspection, its roster was highly reminiscent of Gen I's, perhaps a little too closely at times.

I loved it though. It has some of my favourite designs in the series, and I love the bonkers and downright silly designs, such as the Litwick family, Solosis, Gothita, and my personal favourite, the Vanilluxe clan (which brings back memories of our ice-cream shop from my childhood, and the ghastly amount of money I used to spend on bootleg Pokémon merchandise at the height of its popularity ).

Edited on by Sisilly_G

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

-Green-

Galenmereth wrote:

I like how Game Freak don’t even get their own building in this game. There’s just three of them in an anonymous hotel room. Is that some kind of hidden cry for help?

Yeah this actually somewhat surprised me. I'd grown so used to seeing them in office buildings, so it was a weird 'huh' moment when they're all just casually standing in an empty hotel room. Actually thinking about it, I don't think I've been inside a single office building so far in the game, and I'm past the 6th gym leader.

Edited on by -Green-

Octane

@Silly_G Yeah, it doesn't end there. Drilbur is the Diglet of gen V, Munna and Drowzee are both Psychic type tapirs. Audino is similar to Chansey. Bouffalant and Tauros. It's just that when starting from scratch, you need to recreate a lot of the ''basic'' type Pokemon. Like, bats are very common animals in caves, but if you can't use Zubat, you need another one. Especially because it provides some variety in the often rock-type filled caves.

Octane

iKhan

@Snaplocket

Yep. The main difference between kids and adults as an audience is that kids are just far more forgiving as critics. Unless you scare them or confuse them, it's very hard to make a movie that kids will leave disappointed. So when someone uses "it's for kids" as an explanation, it's just an excuse for not trying very hard to make a quality product.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Octane

What happened to Meowth?

Octane

jump

Octane wrote:

Silly_G Yeah, it doesn't end there. Drilbur is the Diglet of gen V, Munna and Drowzee are both Psychic type tapirs. Audino is similar to Chansey. Bouffalant and Tauros. It's just that when starting from scratch, you need to recreate a lot of the ''basic'' type Pokemon. Like, bats are very common animals in caves, but if you can't use Zubat, you need another one. Especially because it provides some variety in the often rock-type filled caves.

My favourite gen pairing is Wishiwashi and Magikarp of useless weak fish that becomes a powerhouse even if they do it in different ways.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

NotTelevision

I’m happy to see Pokémon Sword/Shield do so well, but did anyone play Little Town Hero? I feel like that one kind of came and went without a trace.

NotTelevision

link3710

@Snaplocket To be fair, I'm fairly convinced the majority of the Sonic fanbase is teens to adults at this point, not kids.

link3710

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic