Forums

Topic: Next Nintendo Direct?

Posts 13,221 to 13,240 of 15,474

Okami1

@IceClimbers they could just Twitter drop them one day, it's not unheard of.

dysgraphia awareness human

GrailUK

Where did all the 'negativity' (I'm not convinced that's the right word) come from about remasters and ports? I find it hard to believe that constitutes being bullish. I'm just thinking they planned being this quiet so as not to divert attention away from Zelda. Pikmin will be a high profile game for them (defo a franchise I can see them wanting to blossom - pardon the pun.) But they will defo want to keep up the Zelda 'engagement' I believe is the industry buzzword these days, so they'll have something planned for that too. I dunno, maybe remasters and dlc is planned upto Switch 2, but I just don't see the Switch in it's swansong years just yet. I honestly wonder what planet folk are on thinking it is.

Edited on by GrailUK

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

skywake

@GrailUK
2020: 28mill hardware, 230mill software
2021: 23mill hardware, 230mill software
2022: 18mill hardware, 210mill software
2023: 15mill hardware, 180mill software (projected)

Points of comparison
Wii sales from 2009:
2009: 21mill hardware, 180mill software
2010: 17mill hardware, 182mill software
2011: 11mill hardware, 135mill software (Wii U reveal)
2012: 5mill hardware, 71mill software (Wii U launch, I think we can all agree too late)

DS Sales from 2008
2008: 29mill hardware, 155mill software
2009: 27mill hardware, 144mill software
2010: 20mill hardware, 121mill software (3DS reveal)
2011: 9mill hardware, 81mill software (3DS release)

There's a pretty typical sales curve that happens with every platform, they all go through it. The Switch is currently sitting somewhere around where the Wii and DS both were 2010. I don't see how we don't get new hardware soon based on the projected sales trends

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

FragRed

I’m sure now Insider Gaming says it’s so, then it must be this week 🤪 One week they’ll all be right

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

TheBigBlue

Like Bolt Strike, I’m going to sit here every single day between June 20th and June 24 and watch those poor saps on twitter wind themselves up over unverified news sources in PORTUGAL, backed up by the one and only NateTheHate, the notorious “I’m-going-to-guess-an-obvious-announcement-is-happening-every-single-day-until-its-real-and-then-claim-I-was-right-all-along” guy. I still don’t believe this garbage. It sounds faker every time I read the article, but maybe I’m dead wrong. I guess we will see, but I’m definitely not clinging to false hope, especially after the ring around those stupid internet people cooked up last June. “I’m 99.998% sure we’ll get a full direct on June 15!” One day after the 15th later: “Wait a second, I didn’t mean June 15th, I meant the 27 or the 29th! That’s when we’ll get a full direct!”

-Switchforce

And yes, we got a partner direct on the 28th. How amusing

Wait, why do we need a signature? Eh, I don’t know. Here’s your signature.

TheBigBlue

@Grumblevolcano this is potentially solid Partner direct fodder. I don’t see Nintendo not using this for a great announcement during a potential partner direct, or maybe a mini.

Wait, why do we need a signature? Eh, I don’t know. Here’s your signature.

Anti-Matter

Next Nintendo Direct, 29 June 2023 with agenda Everybody 1-2-Switch for 45 minutes.

Anti-Matter

GrailUK

@skywake I would argue because their software is still driving sales. They haven't used any of the typical lifecycle extension strategies used (such as a price drop.) Now, granted, I'm not 100% confident with this as due to rising inflation and the economic climate, it may have had one by keeping the price fixed. Hard to say. But it looks like Switch has another year in the tank at this rate. I'm always wrong and can't wait for a new console (and if we all keep expecting one, it will never come. It's Nintendo O.<)

chapuH

Question, does a Mini Direct show off first-party games?

Hope you're having a good day.

TeaCatherine

@chapuH A normal Mini Direct would, however there hasn't been one for quite a while; Partner Showcases are a specific type of Mini that happens much more frequently.

Currently playing: Metal Gear Solid
Back burner: Hollow Knight, Undertale

Grumblevolcano

@chapuH Yeah though there have only been 2 in the entirety of the Switch era, one in January 2018 and one in March 2020. GAME (the UK retailer) did leak that a general Direct revealed Lego Mario though so it suggests the March 2020 Mini was originally a general Direct with a big Mario ending cut off given a load of the Mario celebration plans would've been unsafe because of the pandemic.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/03/random_game_mention...

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Magician

Hit us with that sweet Mini Direct, Nintendo.

Persona 3 Reload needs confirmation.

Oh...wait, it already happened. Thanks Atlus.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Bolt_Strike

GrailUK wrote:

Where did all the 'negativity' (I'm not convinced that's the right word) come from about remasters and ports? I find it hard to believe that constitutes being bullish. I'm just thinking they planned being this quiet so as not to divert attention away from Zelda. Pikmin will be a high profile game for them (defo a franchise I can see them wanting to blossom - pardon the pun.) But they will defo want to keep up the Zelda 'engagement' I believe is the industry buzzword these days, so they'll have something planned for that too. I dunno, maybe remasters and dlc is planned upto Switch 2, but I just don't see the Switch in it's swansong years just yet. I honestly wonder what planet folk are on thinking it is.

They don't really stay quiet on future games to keep attention on a big game out now, that's not a thing that they do. Pretty much the entire generation they've had at least one farther off game revealed (even if we don't have a lot of details on such games, we at least know that they exist), regardless of whatever big games they may or may not be releasing soon. The only exception has been in 2020, during the brunt of the pandemic. Other than that, they've been pretty transparent about some of the major projects planned for further in the future.

But now? Pikmin 4 was the last farther off project they revealed, and that was back in September. February gave us pretty much nothing new except a Metroid Prime Remastered shadow drop. Big red flag there that they have little in the near future, if they did have something, it would've probably been revealed then instead of now. The only other game besides Pikmin 4 that we know about is Metroid Prime 4, which we haven't heard about since the restart in 2019 and we might not even know about that now if it weren't for the restart. If they had plans to continue the Switch for another 2 or 3 years or so, we'd probably have a bit more to go on at this point, we wouldn't need a June Direct to provide clarity on what else might be releasing in the Fall.

And if you look back at how TotK's predecessor BotW was handled, did they stay quiet about anything else coming until BotW released? Nope. They did give it a lot of focus in 2016, but once they revealed the Switch, they started talking about its other launch year titles. They didn't care that BotW was also coming soon and the last few months before it released they were perfectly fine revealing other Switch titles, even ones that were far off from the Switch's launch like Mario Odyssey. If they had other things planned this fall they probably wouldn't stay quiet about those things until June either.

So yeah, Nintendo's MO this generation implies that TotK has nothing to do with why we don't have much announced, and the reasons why we have little right now is either something went VERY wrong in the development of most of their major games, or more likely, they're transitioning to next gen and most if not all of their future projects are planned for the new console. Aside from an emergency like the pandemic, next gen is the only other precedent for a dry schedule like this.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

daffyduck772

I hate getting myself hyped up for something that hasn't been confirmed but there are a lot of signs pointing towards one (or at least a mini)

-Nintendo has yet to reveal a trailer for Everybody 1-2 Switch

-P3R has been confirmed for switch unofically

-While Pikmin 4 got a new trailer and some gameplay snippets, there is still a lot more they could show and it comes out in a month

-Pokemon S/V DLC still needs to be shown off

Edited on by daffyduck772

daffyduck772

Grumblevolcano

@daffyduck772 Pokemon isn't a sign as after the March 2020 Direct Mini, Pokemon has been confined to Pokemon Presents presentations. A Pokemon Presents at some point this summer does seem likely given they need to reveal more about Pokemon Sleep which is releasing during the summer.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Fizza

I think this headline perfectly encapsulates the fever pitch Nintendo fans have reached when it comes to these Direct rumours.

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

Magician

Ugh, if it's another Camelot-developed sports game, no thank you.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

GrailUK

@Bolt_Strike I think Metroid Prime 4 fills the void of being a game further down the line. Again though, folk are getting jittery about it lol.

Bolt_Strike

@Grumblevolcano We'd normally have a Presents by now, they usually pick up their marketing around June, but there's a couple of factors that leave me unsurprised we still have nothing on the DLC at this point:

-SV had its info blowout later than usual, we didn't know much about the game until August whereas most games before we got the big blowout May/June.
-SV has been notoriously buggy, which might be delaying work on the DLC
-The DLC packs are announced for Fall and Winter, so there's no rush to spill the beans in the Summer.

I wouldn't be surprised if we're waiting until August, even September, for any concrete details on the DLC.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic