Forums

Topic: Metroid Dread

Posts 261 to 280 of 862

mr_somewhere

On the one hand that trailer set aside quite a few misgivings I had but on the other hand I think the trailer did give away too much, particularly that one reveal. Going to stop watching any related media until release now. Extremely excited.

Switch ID: SW-5759-3188-0977

tekoii

Dang yo, that trailer was insanely hype. I agree though, that there might be a bit too much shown. Even with that though, I'm extremely euphoric at what we've seen so far. I really love what they're doing so far. One small thing I'm still a little worried about is the whole EMMI situation. I like the whole Dread the EMMI, fear and avoid it. What I'm afraid of is they might over-do the concept too much, or that the act of dodging it is too elementary. Overall though, this is the big game for me this year and I'm super excited regardless!

šŸ„ MK8D ā–¶ļø Youtube šŸŽØ DeviantArt

MarioBrickLayer

No more trailers, forum threads or articles for me!! I have this pre-ordered and want to enjoy it as much as possible!!!

I have avoided the latest nintendo videos, all they are doing will hopefully be great for sales but I don't need to see them!!

MarioBrickLayer

Tyranexx

I think I'll give the trailers a rest - though this last one was excellent - but I'll still read some of the promotional material up until launch. I suspect they aren't giving away as much as we think, unless some of it is way more discreet than we're currently aware of.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Bolt_Strike

So here's what they've revealed as far as abilities so far (spoilered for those that don't want to know about them going in):

Returning Abilities:
Power Suit
Power Beam
Free Aim
Melee Counter
Charge Beam
Missiles
Morph Ball
Bombs
Spazer Beam (presumably, although hasn't been named so it might actually be something slightly different)
Spring Ball
Ice Missiles
Speed Boost
Shinespark
Grapple Beam
Screw Attack

New Abilities:
Slide
Dash Melee
Spider Magnet
Spin Boost
Storm Missile
Cross Bomb

Aeion Abilities:
Phantom Cloak
Flash Shift
Pulse Radar

Temporary Abilities:
Omega Stream
Omega Blaster

This is easily the most new abilities we've had in any Metroid game (which isn't terribly surprising given the long wait), which is very exciting. And I don't think this is all there is, there's probably more still hiding.

Given what we have already, I think the following returning abilities are set to return as well:
Varia Suit (this is practically confirmed because we've seen superheated rooms, but it's not guaranteed until they specify it)
Gravity Suit (again, we see underwater areas but no confirmation of the suit itself)
Wave Beam
Plasma Beam
Super Missiles
Space Jump
Power Bombs
Lightning Armor

I'm also 50/50 on the following returning due to new abilities serving similar purposes:
Spider Ball (no one really liked it in the 2D games because of how slow it was. They could restrict it to only taking place on the magnetic surfaces that you use Spider Magnet on, but Spider Magnet might just outright replace it)
Hi-Jump Boots (Spin Boost seems to replace this as a jump upgrade)
Beam Burst (Storm Missile seems to serve a similar purpose to what Beam Burst was used for)

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Henmii

Out of curiosity: Is this new planet featured in the planetary constellation found in Metroid Prime 2 or 3? I think there are still many planets in that constellation that they haven't used in Metroid games yet.

Henmii

I-U

Bolt_Strike wrote:

This is easily the most new abilities we've had in any Metroid game (which isn't terribly surprising given the long wait), which is very exciting. And I don't think this is all there is, there's probably more still hiding.

I wish I had seen this last week. If those are the currently known abilities for Metroid Dread, it is at the very least in a distant third among all Metroid games when it comes to new abilities. Sliding was present in the Bottle Ship escape sequence in Metroid: Other M, but let's just include that as a new ability for the sake of it which puts Dread at 10 based on that list. That's right around half of what Metroid Prime Hunters offers, and Federation Force offers even more new abilities than that.

Metroid Prime Hunters:
1. Volt Driver
2. Magmaul
3. Imperialist
4. Judicator
5. Shock Coil
6. Battlehammer
7. Omega Cannon
8. Affinity Volt Driver (Kanden)
9. Affinity Magmaul (Spire)
10. Affinity Imperialist (Trace)
11. Affinity Judicator (Noxus)
12. Affinity Shock Coil (Sylux)
13. Affinity Battlehammer (Weavel)
14. Stinglarva
15. Dialanche
16. Triskelion
17. Vhoscythe
18. Lockjaw
19. Halfturret

Metroid Prime Hunters does not have many abilities returning, so most of the abilities on offer are new. I also did not break down some of the alternative forms into 2-3 abilities, like the Dialanche's blades and scaling ability and the Lockjaw's tripwire, wire chaining and triangle bomb. Really it is more than double the known new abilities in Metroid Dread.

Then there's Federation Force, which I think is the Metroid game with the most new abilities currently.

1. Drones
2. Repair Capsule
3. Repair Link
4. Repair Shield
5. Null Plating
6. Shield Generator
7. Shock Shield
8. Shock Shot
9. Ungrounded
10. Aftershock
11. Fuel Injector (Flame Shot)
12. Combustion
13. Frostbite
14. Split Warhead
15. Proximity Bomb
16. Ice Bomb
17. Fire Bomb
18. Shock Bomb
19. Slow Beam
20. Arcing Slow Beam
21. AUX Ammo Replicator
22. Decoy
23. Explosive Decoy
24. Ice Decoy
25. Fire Decoy
26. Shock Decoy
27. Scan Bolt
28. Weakening Scan
29. Lone Wolf
30. Bounty Hunter Paint Job
31. Zero Suit Paint Job
32. Flying Life-Form Paint Job

Federation Force has more to offer, but I'm leaving out new abilities that come through combining MODs like Arcing Slow Beam Energy Siphon and leaving off multiplayer-centric abilities like Guardian. Federation Force is the game that easily has the most new abilities of any Metroid game. It has far more additions than Hunters' ~20 new abilities and significantly more than what is currently known for Metroid Dread at 10. There's always potential for Metroid Dread to end up having the most, since we don't yet have the full game, but I think reaching the amount of new abilities of either Hunters or especially Federation Force would be a tall order.

"The secret to ultimate power lies in the Alimbic Cluster."

Bolt_Strike

@I-U It's kind of cheating to compare it to Hunters and Federation Force, they're both very different styles of games from traditional Metroid games. Federation Force is blatantly a spinoff, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a ton of new things in that game. And Hunters has a multiplayer focus having to include several other characters besides Samus. It certainly has a hefty amount of new abilities compared to some of its predecessors, being more comparable to games like II and Super in terms of what it's doing to expand on the formula.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

I-U

@Bolt_Strike It doesn't matter what style of game Hunters and Federation Force are, they are Metroid games, so when compared to any Metroid game Metroid Dread clearly isn't near the top providing new abilities. I think I agree with you about Metroid Dread when compared to the rest of the series though. I'm pretty sure even now it may have Metroid Prime 2 and Metroid Prime 3 beat...maybe. Metroid Dread will probably end up with 3-4 more new abilities on top of what it already has. Compared to most of the series, it should be a very refreshing experience.

Edited on by I-U

Henmii

There, ordered! Now I am wondering what my game of 2021 will be: Metroid dread, Crash bandicoot 4 or Hollow knight silksong (if that still gets released this year, and if I play it this year).

Edited on by Henmii

Henmii

JaxonH

@damien33ad
I'm pretty sure Nintendo is done announcing Christmas titles, unless they have smaller digital releases planned.

September
WarioWare
Cruis'n Blast
October
Metroid Dread
Mario Party
November
PokƩmon BD/SP
December
Advance Wars

Obviously this is strictly first party, not counting IP they own but are releasing multiplat (Fatal Frame) or 3rd party exclusives (SMTV).

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

link3710

@I-U It kind of does matter. Federation Force is an entirely different genre. That's like comparing the normal games to the abilities in Metroid Prime Pinball.

Hunters totally counts though, I agree.

link3710

I-U

link3710 wrote:

@I-U It kind of does matter. Federation Force is an entirely different genre. That's like comparing the normal games to the abilities in Metroid Prime Pinball.

Hunters totally counts though, I agree.

Federation Force is a first person shooter, so is Metroid Prime Hunters, and neither are drastically different in genre from the first person adventures of the mainline Metroid Prime games. Compared to Dread, it is a different genre within the Metroid Series, but again I don't think that should matter. Dread is outdoing most Metroid games regardless of what kind of Metroid game they are when it comes to new abilities, including Metroid Prime Pinball. It is just not outdoing all Metroid games, divisive ones at that. @Bolt_Strike made a wrong statement by dismissal. I don't understand the point in defending it.

Bolt_Strike

@I-U It doesn't have to be drastically different in genre, just drastically different in premise and style. I'm not saying they're not Metroid games, it's just that what they were trying to do necessitated very different abilities from normal Metroid games (primarily by trying to be multiplayer focused) and so it doesn't really seem fair to compare them. There had to be more new because it had to be very different.

Bolt_Strike

I-U

@Bolt_Strike You compared Metroid Dread to all Metroid games when you said that the upcoming game has more new abilities than any Metroid game. It was a fair comparison then, but after it got pointed out to be wrong it is now not a fair comparison. I understand your point about a multiplayer focus for Hunters, but not for what I listed out for Federation Force. I made sure to not list any new ability that's more associated to the co-op. Regardless, this isn't brand new information about what kind of games Hunters and Federation Force are, you made the comparison despite it or simply didn't think of the two as Metroid games.

I'm a little surprised there hasn't been a more optimistic stance for Metroid Dread in this comparison. We don't have the game. It's entirely possible for Metroid Dread to close the gap as the adventure plays out. It's wrong to say Dread has more new abilities than any Metroid game currently, but I do hope for plenty more original abilities to be discovered once it's released. It's odd seeing the towel basically being thrown in for Metroid Dread already to a 15+ year and a 5+ year game on much weaker hardware. They can go all out with abilities if they chose to.

Henmii

@damien33ad

I agree! Nintendo could still announce it at a Direct, maybe in October after Dread is released? And maybe they have something first party too, New Donkey Kong game perhaps?

Henmii

Budda

Can anyone tell me if there's an English version of this trailer?

Found it just randomly on Nintendo's German YouTube page. (I think it has no new footage by the way)
It's "Be careful, Samus". You can hear the AI Adam talking to Samus. I'm German so I should understand it, but there's a part I can't hear him clear enough. I was hoping there would be an English version but I can't find it anywhere. šŸ˜‚

Edited on by Budda

Laugh Hard, Run Fast, Be Kind

JaxonH

Metroid Dread is now the #1 selling video game on Amazon, and #13 in the broader category including accessories, digital store cards, etc.

Thatā€™s pretty incredible. I think itā€™s abundantly clear this game is going to sell millions out the gate. I hope it gets the Monster Hunter Rise treatment from Switch fans. Show Nintendo how we roll the red carpet for the games we really want.

@Budda
Havenā€™t seen that one before, though I did see another new one I hadnā€™t seen before on the US eShop yesterday.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

BenGrimm

Looks like the Amiibo double pack is delayed across Europe šŸ˜’

BenGrimm

Shroudednightmare

nice nice i so wanna have this game one day

Shroudednightmare

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic