Forums

Topic: Metroid Dread

Posts 261 to 280 of 666

I-U

More kinds of tanks to acquire should make for more varied ways of replaying the game in itself. Energy Parts were a great addition in Metroid: Other M, and I'm glad they are making a return. Looking forward to seeing what the Missile+ tanks do compared to the standard Missile Expansions.

Favorite Game: Metroid Prime Hunters

Henmii

I am soooo happy that they are gonna pursue the idea of evil Chozo, as seen in the secret "Samus returns" picture. But at the same time its a pity we probably won't see that in Prime 4. I really hope Dread has some textlogs to flesh out the story. Its also strange that Nintendo doesn't consider the Prime games and Other M to be part of the "Metroid" saga. Samus suit has been severily stripped, of course so that you have to find her moves again. But I wonder if the Chozo have also stolen her Metroid immunity. And I also wonder what happens next. Apparently we get a glimpse in Dread. Will that tie in with Prime 4, or will Prime 4 be a reboot? Or will Prime 4 be about Sylux? Will they keep the "Metroid" name for the series, or just call it "Samus" from now on?

Questions, questions, questions...can't wait to find it out in the upcoming games!

Edited on by Henmii

Henmii

RedRaven723

Just preordered the special edition of this. Thought I had missed my chance when it showed sold out on the Nintendo site. For anyone in the UK wanting it Argos have them available to pre order. Roll on October.

RedRaven723

damien33ad

I really want to get into the hype of this game just don't know if 2d game can really do it for me. For what it is it does look pretty incredible though. The cut scenes look superb. And I think its important to keep traditional Metroid going alongside the modern as well.

Edited on by damien33ad

damien33ad

link3710

@Henmii I don't think it's weird. The Prime series doesn't advance the story of Samus and the Metroids at all, instead, it focuses on Samus' relationship with Phazon, with the Metroids simply being an aside.

I do think it'll still be called Metroid. The series has long established that Metroid means 'Great Hunter', which if anyone deserves to inherit that title, it's Samus.

@DarthNocturnal You called it. It looks like there's a charge shot missile upgrade now. EDIT: Apparently it's called the Storm Missile, and the Ice Missile is back too.

Also, I forget who was worrying about this, but the new trailer confirms Shinesparking is back... though strangely not the speed boost itself technically due to how it was cut. EDIT: Nm the Dread Report confirms the Speed Boost is back for real, the time slowing Aeon ability appears to be cut though. And apparently you can speed boost + wall jump / slide, which should give it way more utility.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

JaxonH

That new trailer is insane. I don't even wanna watch any more. I'm sold as sold can be.

PLAYING
NS: METROID DREAD (10/10 muah!)
3DS:
Steam:
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR
NS: SMTV, Bayonetta 3, Splatoon 3, Triangle Strategy, MH Rise Sunbreak, Zelda BotW 2, Metroid Prime 4

Jesus is Lord.

Henmii

@link3710

Well, you are right. The Prime games are a sidestory (but a very good sidestory). And yeah I guess they keep the "Metroid" name. Its a iconic name, they shouldn't change that in my opinion.

Henmii

I-U

They may have gave away a little much with this new trailer, but I'm definitely starting to become convinced that this could become a special Metroid game and be my favorite of the classic style. I don't know if it'll make a run at Federation Force and especially MPH long term. Metroid Dread is back to being my most anticipated game after Legends: Arceus took that crown last week. The way they are handling Metroid Dread right now reminds me a bit of these MCU movies. We have had a E3 reveal, Trailer 1 and a Trailer 2...if they do a final trailer, I just hope they dial back the reveals a little.

mr_somewhere

On the one hand that trailer set aside quite a few misgivings I had but on the other hand I think the trailer did give away too much, particularly that one reveal. Going to stop watching any related media until release now. Extremely excited.

Switch ID: SW-5759-3188-0977

tekoii

Dang yo, that trailer was insanely hype. I agree though, that there might be a bit too much shown. Even with that though, I'm extremely euphoric at what we've seen so far. I really love what they're doing so far. One small thing I'm still a little worried about is the whole EMMI situation. I like the whole Dread the EMMI, fear and avoid it. What I'm afraid of is they might over-do the concept too much, or that the act of dodging it is too elementary. Overall though, this is the big game for me this year and I'm super excited regardless!

DarthNocturnal

Well, I was going to cover some major highlights that got me hyped, but I'll just express how badly I want it to be early October now.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

MarioBrickLayer

No more trailers, forum threads or articles for me!! I have this pre-ordered and want to enjoy it as much as possible!!!

I have avoided the latest nintendo videos, all they are doing will hopefully be great for sales but I don't need to see them!!

MarioBrickLayer

Tyranexx

I think I'll give the trailers a rest - though this last one was excellent - but I'll still read some of the promotional material up until launch. I suspect they aren't giving away as much as we think, unless some of it is way more discreet than we're currently aware of.

Currently playing: Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime, Luigi's Mansion 3

Switch Friend Code: SW-3478-2466-4791 | Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

damien33ad

@JaxonH ya I've been on sidelines since not big 2d fan but that last trailer does show off just how much effort has went into this game. I've never been into Metroid but that may soon change
If happens to enough people looking forward to seeing RGT play Balan Wonderware. T

damien33ad

Bolt_Strike

So here's what they've revealed as far as abilities so far (spoilered for those that don't want to know about them going in):

Returning Abilities:
Power Suit
Power Beam
Free Aim
Melee Counter
Charge Beam
Missiles
Morph Ball
Bombs
Spazer Beam (presumably, although hasn't been named so it might actually be something slightly different)
Spring Ball
Ice Missiles
Speed Boost
Shinespark
Grapple Beam
Screw Attack

New Abilities:
Slide
Dash Melee
Spider Magnet
Spin Boost
Storm Missile
Cross Bomb

Aeion Abilities:
Phantom Cloak
Flash Shift
Pulse Radar

Temporary Abilities:
Omega Stream
Omega Blaster

This is easily the most new abilities we've had in any Metroid game (which isn't terribly surprising given the long wait), which is very exciting. And I don't think this is all there is, there's probably more still hiding.

Given what we have already, I think the following returning abilities are set to return as well:
Varia Suit (this is practically confirmed because we've seen superheated rooms, but it's not guaranteed until they specify it)
Gravity Suit (again, we see underwater areas but no confirmation of the suit itself)
Wave Beam
Plasma Beam
Super Missiles
Space Jump
Power Bombs
Lightning Armor

I'm also 50/50 on the following returning due to new abilities serving similar purposes:
Spider Ball (no one really liked it in the 2D games because of how slow it was. They could restrict it to only taking place on the magnetic surfaces that you use Spider Magnet on, but Spider Magnet might just outright replace it)
Hi-Jump Boots (Spin Boost seems to replace this as a jump upgrade)
Beam Burst (Storm Missile seems to serve a similar purpose to what Beam Burst was used for)

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

damien33ad

I heard Alex from NL has taken up.smoking to help combat the excitement from this game. Hang in there Alex. I'm not a Metroid guy but I'm getting excited too. The bosses and cutscenes look incredible

damien33ad

Henmii

Out of curiosity: Is this new planet featured in the planetary constellation found in Metroid Prime 2 or 3? I think there are still many planets in that constellation that they haven't used in Metroid games yet.

Henmii

I-U

Bolt_Strike wrote:

This is easily the most new abilities we've had in any Metroid game (which isn't terribly surprising given the long wait), which is very exciting. And I don't think this is all there is, there's probably more still hiding.

I wish I had seen this last week. If those are the currently known abilities for Metroid Dread, it is at the very least in a distant third among all Metroid games when it comes to new abilities. Sliding was present in the Bottle Ship escape sequence in Metroid: Other M, but let's just include that as a new ability for the sake of it which puts Dread at 10 based on that list. That's right around half of what Metroid Prime Hunters offers, and Federation Force offers even more new abilities than that.

Metroid Prime Hunters:
1. Volt Driver
2. Magmaul
3. Imperialist
4. Judicator
5. Shock Coil
6. Battlehammer
7. Omega Cannon
8. Affinity Volt Driver (Kanden)
9. Affinity Magmaul (Spire)
10. Affinity Imperialist (Trace)
11. Affinity Judicator (Noxus)
12. Affinity Shock Coil (Sylux)
13. Affinity Battlehammer (Weavel)
14. Stinglarva
15. Dialanche
16. Triskelion
17. Vhoscythe
18. Lockjaw
19. Halfturret

Metroid Prime Hunters does not have many abilities returning, so most of the abilities on offer are new. I also did not break down some of the alternative forms into 2-3 abilities, like the Dialanche's blades and scaling ability and the Lockjaw's tripwire, wire chaining and triangle bomb. Really it is more than double the known new abilities in Metroid Dread.

Then there's Federation Force, which I think is the Metroid game with the most new abilities currently.

1. Drones
2. Repair Capsule
3. Repair Link
4. Repair Shield
5. Null Plating
6. Shield Generator
7. Shock Shield
8. Shock Shot
9. Ungrounded
10. Aftershock
11. Fuel Injector (Flame Shot)
12. Combustion
13. Frostbite
14. Split Warhead
15. Proximity Bomb
16. Ice Bomb
17. Fire Bomb
18. Shock Bomb
19. Slow Beam
20. Arcing Slow Beam
21. AUX Ammo Replicator
22. Decoy
23. Explosive Decoy
24. Ice Decoy
25. Fire Decoy
26. Shock Decoy
27. Scan Bolt
28. Weakening Scan
29. Lone Wolf
30. Bounty Hunter Paint Job
31. Zero Suit Paint Job
32. Flying Life-Form Paint Job

Federation Force has more to offer, but I'm leaving out new abilities that come through combining MODs like Arcing Slow Beam Energy Siphon and leaving off multiplayer-centric abilities like Guardian. Federation Force is the game that easily has the most new abilities of any Metroid game. It has far more additions than Hunters' ~20 new abilities and significantly more than what is currently known for Metroid Dread at 10. There's always potential for Metroid Dread to end up having the most, since we don't yet have the full game, but I think reaching the amount of new abilities of either Hunters or especially Federation Force would be a tall order.

Bolt_Strike

@I-U It's kind of cheating to compare it to Hunters and Federation Force, they're both very different styles of games from traditional Metroid games. Federation Force is blatantly a spinoff, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a ton of new things in that game. And Hunters has a multiplayer focus having to include several other characters besides Samus. It certainly has a hefty amount of new abilities compared to some of its predecessors, being more comparable to games like II and Super in terms of what it's doing to expand on the formula.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

I-U

@Bolt_Strike It doesn't matter what style of game Hunters and Federation Force are, they are Metroid games, so when compared to any Metroid game Metroid Dread clearly isn't near the top providing new abilities. I think I agree with you about Metroid Dread when compared to the rest of the series though. I'm pretty sure even now it may have Metroid Prime 2 and Metroid Prime 3 beat...maybe. Metroid Dread will probably end up with 3-4 more new abilities on top of what it already has. Compared to most of the series, it should be a very refreshing experience.

Edited on by I-U

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic