Forums

Topic: Metroid Dread

Posts 241 to 260 of 862

link3710

@Bolt_Strike Technically, the video says they were OWNED by the GF, not created by the GF. During the presentation, it said actually they were made by Exelion Star Corporation. Check at 3:28 on the video.

Chozo Memories spoiler: Now, we also know that the rogue Chozos at the end are probably relevant... and we saw what may have been a Chozo running the equipment in the trailer. I'm wagering Exelion is a front for whatever rogue Chozo faction remains.

And yeah, I so wish that they'd mapped entering / exiting the morph ball to ZL on the New 3DS, it'd have been a huge help. I am curious to see what they do about beams in Dread, the touch screen for Missiles / super missiles and Ice / Grapple / Others was super handy. Though you basically never need to select grapple anyways since it auto shoots that if it's a grappleable target, which is another amazing QoL change I forgot to mention, especially combined with it staying extended for a few moments so you can easily hit the target while running.

link3710

Bolt_Strike

@link3710 Which video? Link plz.

I mean, it's possible. I do think that the rogue Chozo may be manipulating the Federation somehow to get Samus to come to ZDR, and may be the reason the Federation has been involved in cloning/capture of several dangerous entities (Mother Brain, Ridley, Metroids, the X) to gain power.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

I-U

A small nitpick I have with Metroid Dread is that the new arm cannon configuration provided by the Central Units is called the Omega Cannon. I know that they're keeping the name consistent with the weaponry provided, i.e. Omega Stream and Omega Blaster, but thinking about Metroid Prime Hunters and how fun its Omega Cannon is even a little won't do Metroid Dread any favors. There could be more to the Omega Cannon in Metroid Dread that could reference the series' earlier Omega Cannon, but I doubt it'll be anything more than the two sharing the same name.

@Bolt_Strike @JaxonH @link3710 Metroid: Samus Returns does give the option to press the touch screen, usually I press over the map, to go in and out of Morph Ball without needing to double tap down. On Metroid: Samus Returns overall, I never understood the criticism of the game's graphics on the 3DS. I think both Metroid games look really great on the system, and it's one of the best qualities of Samus Returns beyond the lore it added upon the original Metroid II and map pins. Metroid Dread has much stiffer competition on the Switch, but I still think it looks impressive from its early areas. Visually, my favorite area in Samus Returns did not come until Area 5, I love forest/nature themes, so Metroid Dread has plenty of chances to be more impressive than what has already been shown.

"The secret to ultimate power lies in the Alimbic Cluster."

link3710

@I-U I wish I'd known this during the game, that'd have been incredibly useful.

As for graphics, I completely agree. Metroid has a habit of having very drab looking early areas (i.e. Chorizo / Brinstar first visit, Tallon Overworld/Chozo Ruins, Area 1, Agon Wastes) that lead into beautiful later areas (i.e. Meridia / true Brinstar, Phendrena Drifts, Area 5+, Sanctuary Fortress). While Fusion and Prime 3 don't quite follow that setup, (and I totally am blanking on how Zero Mission looks), it's still more than likely the case here. My guess is that's just how the director / producer like to continually impress, by trying to make sure each successive environment looks better than the last.

link3710

Bolt_Strike

Speaking of Metroid game trends, one thing I hope they don't do in this game is fall into the trap of making the last area of the game a linear gauntlet style area with tons of enemies and few branching paths/powerups to create a sense of difficulty. They've unfortunately done this several times (Maridia and Phazon Mines are especially bad about this, but Sanctuary Fortress and Pirate Homeworld aren't a whole lot better). I just hate to see them throw the core appeal of the Metroidvania style out the window for the sake of making the later game sections more difficult, there's better ways they can increase the difficulty without having to resort to that.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

NintendoByNature

Finally played thru super after trying on multiple occasions. It's good, but I wouldn't say it's nearly as good as fusion, zero or even samus returns. I think my biggest gripe was trying to control samus. I found the wall jump next to impossible to perform regularly. There was an odd sand trap area that you could traverse but it required a wierd bomb pattern In morph ball if you didn't have the gravity suit. I don't want to totally rag on the game bc it had some great moments. But, it's lower on my 2d metroid list. Now, I'm fully geared up and all ready for dread! Can't wait!!

NintendoByNature

mr_somewhere

@Bolt_Strike That's not something that ever occurred to me but now that you've mentioned it, wow they did rely on that design choice quite a lot, didn't they? I think it really depends on the execution to be honest. I actually really liked how claustrophobic and focused the sections leading up to the Metroid Queen were in SR for example.

Unfortunately I think you're out of luck as I imagine this'll return in Dread. I could be dead wrong but I imagine that the first half of the guy is building back up to the ship, then the map is going to open up (something I think Fusion would have done well to do earlier) with the final section being a gauntlet or small section taking place in somewhere closed off à la the Prime games.

Switch ID: SW-5759-3188-0977

Bolt_Strike

@mr_somewhere Let me make something clear: I'm not talking about the stretch leading to the final boss (like Tourian, Impact Crater, Phaaze, or Area 8). Those need to be linear by design, they're meant to funnel you towards the final boss. I'm talking about the last main area in the game, the one where you get the last few powerups in the game, such as the Screw Attack, Power Bombs, or whatever other powerups they decide to make late game (again, look at the areas I cited. Maridia, Phazon Mines, Sanctuary Fortress, Pirate Homeworld. Not areas that lead to a final boss). In SR's case, I would consider that to be Area 5 (the lush, watery area where you get the Plasma Beam, Gravity Suit, and Screw Attack). SR is kind of weird in that there's several areas after that you have to progress through, but that's the closest to what I'm talking about. And I actually sort of like the way it handled the late game. Area 5 is about as nonlinear and mazelike as it gets and that's the way those late game areas should be handled IMO, and Area 7 has a nice little ring of areas where you can choose to fight the last few Omega Metroids in any order (Area 6 is linear and I don't like that part, but everything else is solid). Area 8 is the "final stretch" area like Tourian/Impact Crater/Phaaze, so I can excuse that from being linear.

As for Dread, I can see a final stretch area leading to the final boss and Samus' ship, but I'm not seeing where the final main area with the last few powerups is going to be linear. Especially when we know so little about ZDR's map right now.

Really, digging into what MercurySteam's done with SR makes me a lot more confident they won't resort to this. They had some linear moments in SR, but that mainly just seems to be them sticking to the same overall structure as the originals and if you look at what they've done in the areas themselves, they've made the level design very mazelike and closer to a traditional Metroidvania and unlike a lot of past Metroid developers, instead of relying on linear gauntlets to create a sense of difficulty, they've made tougher enemies and obstacles. They seem to have a much better sense of when and how much to make the game linear vs. open ended than the other Metroid developers have, so if anyone will avoid that sort of design pitfall, it's them.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

mr_somewhere

@Bolt_Strike Ah fair enough, I should have realised that. My thoughts regarding Dread are purely speculation based off of SR and them wanting to likely play off their strengths as well as respond to the criticism that game received. I'm so excited that we're finally getting a brand new entry into the series that I can't stop thinking about it.

Switch ID: SW-5759-3188-0977

Bolt_Strike

@DarthNocturnal Well the good news is they probably won't do it that way in Dread. But that does beg the question of how they will. Will they just have a toggle button like classic 2D games or is there some other way?

Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

@DarthNocturnal Ice was likely segregated because freezing an enemy instead of outright defeating it can be slower and annoying.

I'd prefer Super Missiles be handled like Prime, where the Super Missile uses larger quantities of Missiles. Super's system of making Super Missiles a different type of ammo makes it convoluted, and Fusion just making the Super Missiles a power boost for regular Missiles felt rather pointless. Seeing as how SR used Super's system though, they'll probably just stick with that.

Bolt_Strike

I-U

More kinds of tanks to acquire should make for more varied ways of replaying the game in itself. Energy Parts were a great addition in Metroid: Other M, and I'm glad they are making a return. Looking forward to seeing what the Missile+ tanks do compared to the standard Missile Expansions.

Henmii

I am soooo happy that they are gonna pursue the idea of evil Chozo, as seen in the secret "Samus returns" picture. But at the same time its a pity we probably won't see that in Prime 4. I really hope Dread has some textlogs to flesh out the story. Its also strange that Nintendo doesn't consider the Prime games and Other M to be part of the "Metroid" saga. Samus suit has been severily stripped, of course so that you have to find her moves again. But I wonder if the Chozo have also stolen her Metroid immunity. And I also wonder what happens next. Apparently we get a glimpse in Dread. Will that tie in with Prime 4, or will Prime 4 be a reboot? Or will Prime 4 be about Sylux? Will they keep the "Metroid" name for the series, or just call it "Samus" from now on?

Questions, questions, questions...can't wait to find it out in the upcoming games!

Edited on by Henmii

Henmii

RedRaven723

Just preordered the special edition of this. Thought I had missed my chance when it showed sold out on the Nintendo site. For anyone in the UK wanting it Argos have them available to pre order. Roll on October.

RedRaven723

link3710

@Henmii I don't think it's weird. The Prime series doesn't advance the story of Samus and the Metroids at all, instead, it focuses on Samus' relationship with Phazon, with the Metroids simply being an aside.

I do think it'll still be called Metroid. The series has long established that Metroid means 'Great Hunter', which if anyone deserves to inherit that title, it's Samus.

@DarthNocturnal You called it. It looks like there's a charge shot missile upgrade now. EDIT: Apparently it's called the Storm Missile, and the Ice Missile is back too.

Also, I forget who was worrying about this, but the new trailer confirms Shinesparking is back... though strangely not the speed boost itself technically due to how it was cut. EDIT: Nm the Dread Report confirms the Speed Boost is back for real, the time slowing Aeon ability appears to be cut though. And apparently you can speed boost + wall jump / slide, which should give it way more utility.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

JaxonH

That new trailer is insane. I don't even wanna watch any more. I'm sold as sold can be.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Henmii

@link3710

Well, you are right. The Prime games are a sidestory (but a very good sidestory). And yeah I guess they keep the "Metroid" name. Its a iconic name, they shouldn't change that in my opinion.

Henmii

I-U

They may have gave away a little much with this new trailer, but I'm definitely starting to become convinced that this could become a special Metroid game and be my favorite of the classic style. I don't know if it'll make a run at Federation Force and especially MPH long term. Metroid Dread is back to being my most anticipated game after Legends: Arceus took that crown last week. The way they are handling Metroid Dread right now reminds me a bit of these MCU movies. We have had a E3 reveal, Trailer 1 and a Trailer 2...if they do a final trailer, I just hope they dial back the reveals a little.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic