Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 50,521 to 50,540 of 96,483

MarioVillager92

@Tyranexx Best of luck on your vaccine. Hopefully we will see the end of this pandemic in due time! I've been busy with some things too, namely with online classes and house work. Those are all good choices for your favorite power-ups. I do like Flying Squirrel Mario quite a bit as well. I finished Super Mario 3D Land recently, I just felt nostalgic for that game lol. Especially since it's now been 10 years since the 3DS came out! It's not quite as good as 3D World, but it's still a good one and it's the best Mario platformer on the 3DS.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

Blooper987

Remember guys, everything that happens over the next 24 hours should be doubted. This is your reminder!

Switch Friend Code: SW-0772-1845-0995

Snatcher

@Nintendolife there is this game called knockout city and its having a open beta today make a article please. (Not a April fools joke trust me)

Edited on by Snatcher

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Sunsy

Well that's it, Mario is no more. It was a good run.

Oh well, there's always Super Princess Peach to play. I await Peach's 35th anniversary Nintendo!

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

VoidofLight

@Blooper987 Can't wait for Poketubers to cover april fools leaks as "100% true", not even understanding everything that happens tomorrow is fake. They'll try to defend it because "Pokemon Let's Go leaked on April Fools".

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

jedgamesguy

@Blooper987 That also includes your warning itself. How do we know that's not an April Fool's joke, huh? HUH?

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

jedgamesguy

Some fascinating outlooks on Tomb Raider indeed, so I'll respond to those now, and handle the meat of the posts within twelve hours. No, it's not an April Fool's joke, I really will.

@BruceCM I have to agree, I too prefer women in videogames. It's strange, because it still feels like modern AAA video games still have relatively small female hero representation. And the times women do have leading roles their chests are spilling out of their shirts. That's primarily why I'm excited to get further into Tomb Raider, because this element, at least after the first hour, isn't present, and focuses on a strong, realistic heroine.

With male design in videogames, every male character seems to fall into very specific categories; namely the very buff one that's comedic relief (Reyn, Riki, Wakka, Barrett), the one with girly features (Shulk, Cloud, Luminary), and the wise but stoic one (Dunban, Auron). There's of course outliers that are a combination of both, like Yusuke from Persona 5, who's comedic relief and somewhat girly.

With female characters there's more subtle characterisation. Of course there's strong ones who do the talking in their natural environments (Aloy, Lara Croft), the seductress, or very little character outside of objectification (Jade from DQXI, Ann Takamaki), the sassy ones (Veronica and Sylvando (he's extremely feminine) from DQXI), and the prim and proper ones (Melia, to some extent Tifa and Aerith, Serena from DQXI), but there's many more, more so that other characters will be difficult to categorise in just one area.

@ThanosReXXX I hadn't even been alive when the original Tomb Raider came out of course, so it never entered my gaming peripheral vision through sex appeal. I like Uncharted, it's a fun blend of exploration and combat (though I suck at the combat, a lot), so something like that with a female protag is exciting. Plus, when someone walks in when I'm playing, I won't have to explain the risqué designs... because there aren't any! That luckily never happened when I played Xenoblade 2, perhaps because I zoomed out the camera to focus on the landscape.

The movement in games like Ghost of Tsushima and Uncharted feel like you're skating on ice. The controls feel a little delayed and the jump animation and move pattern looks like an acrobatic movement, or a Mario long jump. In games with the Decima Engine; Horizon Zero Dawn and Death Stranding, movement is extremely responsive, and things like jumping feel solid. It feels like both in Tomb Raider, the movement's nice and things like climbing are a bit Uncharted like.

So far the game's pretty good, though the menu and HUD elements really make it feel like an EA game, or something like that. I prefer a 2D menu that's simple, rather than flowing animation and fancy 3D backgrounds. The quicktime reaction stuff caught me off a bit so I had to watch Lara get her skull smashed in a good three times before I finally realised what to do. The voice acting is very good as well, and heightens the immersion.

@Tyranexx The Tomb Raider games from Square Enix are meant to set you up for the PS1 Lara Croft: Tomb Raider games, at least that's my reckoning. It starts with a bang, and you begin the game clutching your side after getting stabbed by a nail so it hits home the fear and the tension.

And pixelised boobs? They're in HD now baby! In all seriousness I like her design a lot. I don't play the game and I kinda detest it, but I really like her Fortnite design a lot too. Makes me think about how she could play if she got into Smash.

I didn't tag you initially @MarioLover92, but I feel that you could bring some decent insight. What are your thoughts on Lara Croft's Square Enix design?

Edited on by jedgamesguy

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

BruceCM

Well, there are still plenty of good female characters in games, @TheJGG .... I'll admit I don't mind if they happen to be rather scantily clad, though It's certainly something they have been working on, since there's more girls getting into gaming & being vocal about it

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

CANOEberry

@Ryu_Niiyama Hello there friendly astro-people (person)! After a year of pandemic stasis, my personal situation has improved a bit... which means I haven't been able to sit down long enough lately for anything as substantive as real conversations, not even online. But I see that you might be awake. I hope this doesn't mean that you're sick, though...

I was sorry to read about your experience at the end of undergrad. Did your department and school help? Or care? Unfortunately, I am not so surprised. Of those I know personally, or have worked closely with, I don't believe I know anyone who earned a physics-based degree that went through a four-year program unscathed, and that includes a couple of working astronomy professionals, in my country and yours. (I remember one now-prominent prof from MIT, then newly hired, who rather casually mentioned to us in a departmental visit that "physics kicked my butt". Little did I understand how I should have heeded him...)

So, anyhow, it may be a "standard" story, but hardly a SOB one, to my mind. I admire your attitude, though. I sincerely wish you all the best in returning to the institution (haha, that's how I came to think of it, if you will pardon the language).

CANOEberry

Ryu_Niiyama

@COVIDberry I am glad things are improving for you. All we can do is try to stay safe.

lol institution is correct. I’m only up for a little bit. Close month is a nightmare for me (I am an IT Director for a real estate company- to anyone else reading this yes I got a new job last year; the one positive from ‘rona) and I pretty much passed out after work. So I’m trying to tire myself out without working out (although that is next if I don’t fall asleep soon).

Well what doesn’t kill you right? And no my department didn’t care but I wasn’t the only one that got chewed up and time and distance has allowed me to have a more neutral perspective. I would have flamed out later on anyway. I was waaaaaay too focused on a timeline and way too broke to keep it when I was younger. The funny part is I get to enjoy the subject again. To focus on the parts I ignored and work on physics problems after work for no reason lol.

I can’t speak for the physics community as a whole even though I automatically minored in it, but the academic astronomy community needs an overhaul. We are bleeding too much talent. I feel like science (especially astrophysics and its cousins) academia never adjusted to both the rapid advances in the field over the past 150 years or the insane increase in tuition in the past 50 or so years. There have been talks about it at the American Astronomical Society meetings. Which is good as it means the field is starting to become self aware.

But like I said there are some perks to being an adult student / amateur. I’m more grounded and I can kinda go down the rabbit hole safely because I don’t rely on astrophysics to eat. At this point I don’t think once I earn with my degree that I will work in the field full time. I will certainly stay involved and do research but I can do that part time.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Eel

It is my pleasure to announce that a sudden and completely random life-changing event has happened to me, in an effort to fool the people who trust me into a sense of surprise or shock, followed by a feeling of betrayal and then amusement once I reveal it was indeed all a clever ruse.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Zuljaras

Let me share a dumb crap that happened now and will continue from now on.

Because of the DUMB people who voted from Brexit now every little crap from there will be going to customs and I have to pay 20% of the purchase on top of the price I bought it!

I just got notified from my customs for my purchase from Super Rare Games. Probably the same crap will happen with my eBay purchases.

I hope this affect the whole online business of the UK in a very negative way and people start to regret they did this.

Man I am angry because of this s**t!!!

Anti-Matter

Guys...!
My BEMANI games order from Tokopedia have been arrived. 😀😀😀
Take a look.
Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

I tried Pop'n Music 8 first, playing in 5 keys was quite easy, just need some practice. 😉
But playing in 9 keys even on Normal difficulty, it was really hard to press the corresponded buttons as i have no proficient with piano playing skill. 😵
Need a lot of finger practice.

My Pop'n Music controller can be used for Beatmania IIDX 9th style as the Disc scratch was on the 2 buttons from the left (Left White and Left Yellow) while the other 7 buttons were the 7 keys for Beatmania IIDX. I tried to play with the easiest setting for Light 7 keys mode (Auto Scratch, Easy, High Speed x 3) but it was really hard to read and press the corresponded 7 keys even on Easy difficulty. I still struggled at level 3 songs 😵😩
(level 7+ from IIDX 1st style until 9th style / level 8 for IIDX 10th style / level 8+ for IIDX 11 RED / level 12 for IIDX 12 was the hardest).
It wasn't easy as i thought. But i will practice a lot.

Unfortunately, the Pop'n Music controller cannot be used normally for DrumMania Masterpiece Silver & V2, only Left White and Right Green button detected as Red Tom and Snare for DrumMania.
I felt disappointed as i couldn't use Pop'n Music controller to play DrumMania games. 😔😭
But, i still able to use PS2 controller to play DrumMania games as i could configure the PS2 buttons with corresponded DrumMania buttons scheme. 😕

Last but not the least, i got We Cheer 1 & 2 Wii with very cheap price from Tokopedia. It was used condition but still good enough. 😉
Before that, i already have All Star Cheer Squad 1 Wii by PlayTHQ.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

@Eel
Could you do my favor ?
I want to know if Ryu_Niiyama really put me in Ignore list as i tried to talk with him / her in Story of Seasons Olive Town thread but he / she never responded me.
Could you ask to him / her about me ?
Did he / she really hate me and considered me as a troll / annoying user ?

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

jedgamesguy

@Anti-Matter One thing I can say is that @Ryu_Niiyama is female. Whether she ignored you or not aside. Around November I referred to her as ‘bruh’ jokingly, and unfortunately I’m cursed with a very good memory, so at times I reflect on it and think; why did I do that?

In that; the mods aren’t here to... babysit. Of course there’s little else to do but... mods are here to do their job.

Edited on by jedgamesguy

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Anti-Matter

@TheJGG
Oh, btw.
Did you see my posts above ?
Those are called BEMANI games.
Those are my hidden diamonds.
And i really meant it when i said i really like Rhythm games from Konami.

Anti-Matter

Zuljaras

@TheJGG As you can see for yourself sometimes talking to Anti is like talking to a really bad written bot for promoting only specific things. No matter what you write it will not be taken into consideration.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic