Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 38,321 to 38,340 of 96,548

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee Glad you got the reference. I would have hated to have to explain it. One probably has to be a beer connoisseur, though...

As for everyone having a Gordon in their life: the only Gordon I know is Gordon Ramsay, and luckily, he's far removed from my life. The only big story teller I've ever known, was my grandfather. He could come up with the greatest adventures he never actually experienced. Part of me thinks that also came from him having survived having to work for the Germans in WW2, so kind of like a coping mechanism. And he loved to entertain children, so all in all a pretty solid combo for some great story telling.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

NintendoByNature

@ThanosReXXX lol yea, around my friends even to this day, I'm a completely different person. Mostly because it's the way its always been with them, since the beginning ya know? And don't worry, we didnt do any of the gross stuff, just stupid stuff. But I'm pretty most kids did silly things with their friends, right? šŸ˜‚
@NotTelevision you don't mess with Bimmy-Lee, that's a given at this point. @bimmy-lee great, you just myth busted your own myth. But now i feel like I need to know Gordon..

NintendoByNature

ThanosReXXX

@NintendoByNature Are you nuts? No, no, no. I've NEVER done anything bad in my entire life. I've also never had to let my parents pick me up at the police station because me and a couple of friends decided that it would be great fun to throw bricks at windows in an abandoned factory...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

DannyBoi

The red box Switch was supposed to be in stock on the 30th January in most places. But looking on Amazon UK, they have removed the "this item will be back in stock on January 30th". Just to let you know. So it may not be in stock untilmaybe the middle of february or something like that.

Destiny, justice and retribrution will be mine.

bimmy-lee

@ThanosReXXX - I enjoy an old person with a story to tell, fact, fiction, or somewhere in between. Seems like the WWII era folks all had unfathomable stories to tell, though there arenā€™t many left at this point to tell them. Is there anything more pleasing than breaking panes of glass when youā€™re young? Itā€™s truly one of lifeā€™s early great pleasures. Itā€™s doubly rewarding breaking a window with a thrown object like a rock or baseball. Itā€™s basically a carnival game at that point. Just taking turns with your friends launching rocks from a distance, hoping youā€™ll be the one to smash the glass. So fun.

@NintendoByNature - Yeah, it seemed like my only reasonable chance to let you guys know about Gordon, so I decided to supplant my own urban legend with a description of the true legend who made it all possible. Sometimes it takes me an hour round trip to get back from his beer store five minutes away, and I only need to tell my wife, ā€œI got Gordonā€™dā€, and she immediately understands why it took so long to get out of the store.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

NintendoByNature

@ThanosReXXX bahahah. See, that's when it's great to have an older brother. Instead of that one phone call to the parents, I would make it to him. " hey uhh... I'm at the police station. I have $600 under my mattress, can you bring that by and scoop me up too? "šŸ˜‹
@bimmy-lee bahahah that's hilarious. At least he's good for some stories if nothing else.

NintendoByNature

HobbitGamer

Itā€™s not nearly as interesting as a junior high mixed gender dance.

Turns out that I had to present. And answer questions. We took a break now at the 3 hour mark. My neck is tightening harder than a self tapping screw.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee My grandpa always told tall tales about being a sailor, even though he has hardly ever set foot on a ship (although my uncle actually was a sailor, and that was his son, so perhaps that was part of the inspiration for those particular stories), and he also had a knack for telling Bible stories. None of us are religious, but the way he told them, not only made them palatable, but truly exciting. My personal favorite was Samson and Delilah.

And yes, launching rocks or bricks into windows (when you're a kid) IS exciting, but that excitement fades pretty quickly if you're picked up by the police, have to sit on a bench in a small room for almost an hour, and then feeling completely hopeless already, have to face your utterly stunned and furious parents. Not to mention having to tell the entire story AGAIN when you get home, after you've already told it to the police officer...

@NintendoByNature I have a four year older sister, and we love each other to death nowadays, but back in those days, when I was between 9 and 10, she kinda hated me, and all we did was fight and argue, so she probably couldn't have cared less, or would have even told my parents anyway...

Besides: over here, they don't let little children call home by themselves, they just ask you the phone number and then the officer calls them for you, so fat chance of me having circumvented that one. Besides, I was feeling all nauseous and scared, so I didn't exactly have all my wits about me either.

Of course, this was in the early 80's, so maybe things have changed now, I don't know.

@HobbitGamer Well, as long as your neck doesn't grow a beard all of a sudden, I think you'll survive...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

NintendoByNature

@ThanosReXXX I can see that. Me and my brother were only 5 years apart, and it was just us two. So for the most part, we as
Always got along especially once I turned about 10-12. That's when we became really close. My only " jail visit" was that one time and it was only a few hours thankfully. It wasn't for anything serious- criminal damage to property. But I did have handcuffs put on me which for someone who's very claustrophobic such as myself, was a tough pill to swallow, but I kept it together.

That was my first and last time with the long arm of the law. But yea, I told my parents after i got out and back home. Its just easier to make the call to my brother as opposed to my parents. For obvious reasons.

NintendoByNature

ThanosReXXX

@NintendoByNature I can't remember all the details from back then, but I think that me and my friends got charged with something quite similar. It was damage to property, after all.

Only time for me as well, if we don't count getting fined for crossing the street on a bike while the red light was still on...

NintendoByNature

@ThanosReXXX sounds about right. I have had quite a few traffic violations though, which aren't fun either. Usually they're pricey. And sometimes, they're taken from a street camera which is always fun šŸ˜£. Those cameras dont take things like speed of people behind You, road conditions, etc. So it's pretty bogus when you think about it.

NintendoByNature

bimmy-lee

@ThanosReXXX @NintendoByNature - The town I grew up in was so small that we didnā€™t have a police force, but everyone knew everyone, and my mom always got a call if someone saw us out and about doing bad stuff. She usually knew before we even got back home, and sheā€™d be waiting to hit us with the dreaded, ā€œJust wait until your dad gets home tonight and finds out about THIS.ā€ Day ruined. I had little old lady neighbors on each side and across the street, and they called my mom on us daily when we were off during summer break. If there had been actual police, I definitely would have found myself scared and in handcuffs at some point.

limby-bee was a jerk.

NintendoByNature

@bimmy-lee ah...the old neighbor factor. Yea, I had a couple of those myself. When we would have a sleepover at my house, during spring/summer/some of fall, we would camp out on the trampoline. We had a big one that could fit a good 5-6 of us. It made for a perfect excuse to sneak out at night. No need to sneak around, open doors, etc. It was really a perfect set up for us. Usually just resulted in the typical ding dong ditch, meet up with girls, explore. All in good fun though.

Oh and the dreaded " wait til your dad gets home" saying still haunts me. I remember it being said weekly. Me and my bro would always wrestle and break stuff. We've talked about this in the past, but i was a big wwf fan. So you can imagine me getting fireman carried by my big brother into a stand that holds a vase or other object.

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

bimmy-lee

@NintendoByNature - Haha, trampoline camping sounds amazing! You were really conquering life as a young buck doing that. A cool, weird place to sleep that also allows sneaking off for night time mischief, thatā€™s as good as it gets. Iā€™m positive that being out at night when youā€™re young is the same thrill as drinking during the day when youā€™re an adult. NBN 3:16 says ā€œI just broke momā€™s vaseā€, and thatā€™s the bottom liiiiine, because NBN said so.

limby-bee was a jerk.

Anti-Matter

Happy Chinese New Year, guys !
Untitled
This year is Golden Rat year.
I will go to the nearest Chinese temple to pray for good fortune during year 2020.

Edit: Here we go again. šŸ˜…
The low economic kids and women are starting to wait outside of my nearest Chinese temple, hoping for peoples like me (Indonesian Chinese peoples) give them some Hong Bao.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

NintendoByNature

@bimmy-lee bahahah more or less. Usually when something broke, everyone scattered like cocroaches. If we weren't in the room, there's no way we could've broken it šŸ˜….

The bottom line was usually brought out during the trampoline wrestling matches.. It was the perfect amount of bounce to perform a Val Venus Money Shot. Or a Dudley boys 3D with 2 other guys lol

NintendoByNature

bimmy-lee

@NintendoByNature - Oh yeah, there was nothing better than doing karate or wrestling moves on a trampoline. Someone always ended up getting destroyed though. My friendā€™s aunt had an old school trampoline that was ground level with a pit dig out underneath it, and we would go crazy. I saw so many kids get hurt on it. One time my friend was going to do a pretend jump kick, but of course ended up just jump kicking the other kid right in the mouth. He had braces, and it was a disaster. His mouth looked like spaghetti.

@Anti-Matter - Happy new year to you, hopefully itā€™s full of good fortune. Spread that Hong Bao around a bit, the seeds of good karma are worth more than gold.

limby-bee was a jerk.

Tyranexx

This was by far the busiest Friday I'd dealt with at work in awhile. At least I got a lot done. Thankfully I have absolutely nothing going on tomorrow. Other than a little bit of obligatory adulting that won't take long, I'm declaring a veg day. This week has been nuts!

I've never been arrested or even ticketed, but there have definitely been a few times when I deserved the latter (mostly speeding). There are a few traffic cameras around here, but nothing to the effect that are found near/in large cities. I've seen the inside of a courtroom twice, though I wasn't the one on trial; we attended a small claims/violations court session when I was in Driver's Ed. in high school, and the other time involved being drafted on jury duty for a civil trial. Thankfully I got out during the selection process. I really hated that experience; I hate being put on the spot in a group of people I'm unfamiliar with.

@ThanosReXXX Thanks! Some days like today get pretty hectic, so I'm not always able to keep an eye on the forums. It partially depends on how quickly I get through the news on the main site, but I normally don't get to the forums until early afternoon here at the earliest.

@bimmy-lee Getting Gordon'd sounds like an interesting experience for sure!

@Anti-Matter Happy New Year!

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic