Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 37,741 to 37,760 of 37,875

bimmy-lee

This is interesting. I haven’t considered the real time aspect of Animal Crossing. I almost never have a chance to play when the sun is up. Maybe a few times a year. Gaming is almost exclusively a late night venture for me. This realization definitely makes me reconsider my intent to purchase the game. I’m not going to mess around changing the console clock, that seems weird and kind of like cheating. Glad this came up.

Edited on by bimmy-lee

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

Anti-Matter

bimmy-lee wrote:

This is interesting. I haven’t considered the real time aspect of Animal Crossing. I almost never have a chance to play when the sun is up. Maybe a few times a year. Gaming is almost exclusively a late night venture for me. This realization definitely makes me reconsider my intent to purchase the game. I’m not going to mess around changing the console clock, that seems weird and kind of like cheating. Glad this came up.

Here is my tips.
If you play Animal Crossing New Leaf 3DS, you can make the date always same like time isn't running by keep logging the game every 12 hours just for keep the date and the clock are same as you wish.
Changing the clock is not cheating. The game shouldn't controlling you, you have to control the game. If the game will punish you for not playing for several days or certain time, then we have to control the game to prevent the unnecessary punishment. Animal Crossing is a game designed to force player to play everyday or the animal villagers will Move Out as the punishment. Then, we can prevent that ridiculous punishment with my tricks.

I have tried this trick for long time because sometimes i can only play during night time and i will miss something on day time, so i can change the clock or change the date as i wish as long not too far from curent day and it will be fine.

Also, by keep the date same all the time, you can exploit the Lazy camper (if you built Camping place) to buy your expensive stuffs (but you have to answer correctly and quickly their riddle about the food they want to eat) and you will get tons of money (can exceeding 50,000 Bells each time you sell).

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4/Switch (95)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (93)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

Anti-Matter

@Heavyarms55
" I don't know anyone who likes Animal Crossing and doesn't spend dozens or hundreds of hours playing it. So that's a perfectly fair concern. If you end up liking it, you'll very likely want to play for a long time."

I am. 🤓
Look at my gameplay hours on my Old 3DS XL based on date 22 December 2018.
Untitled
Untitled

My Top 6 games :

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

NotTelevision

Everyone sounds like they have their own take on Animal Crossing. The last one I played was City Folk on the Wii, and loved it. It’s a game about making small changes and them adding up over time and doing what you want in the sandbox as @ThanosreXXX said.

I think once you start fooling around with the clock, you are sort of “breaking it”. I’d just be tempted to move the clock forward a day every time I’d do something, so I could see the result. The game isn’t a simulation game in the same sense as Harvest Moon or Stardew Valley to me. It’s much more incremental than those games by design. The real-time elements also make it a bit more of an immersive experience as well.

But to each their own...

NotTelevision

Heavyarms55

@Anti-Matter You don't need photo evidence dude, I have no reasons to doubt you. Lol.

@HobbitGamer That never bothered me much personally but I guess it could get old.

Edited on by Heavyarms55

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx
Feel free to add me
Edelgard profile pic credit to the amazing: https://roselph.tumblr.com/

Anti-Matter

I found very Engrish sentences written on a pencil case this morning. 😆
Untitled

Edited on by Anti-Matter

My Top 6 games :

HobbitGamer

@Anti-Matter I’m going to make that part of my email signature at work for the day.

Edited on by HobbitGamer

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

bimmy-lee

@Anti-Matter - That Engrish is great! It’s almost zen. I respect the way you play AC, and your tremendous dedication, but personally, I feel like adjusting the date or clock (as @NotTelevision mentioned) is sort of breaking the game the way it’s meant to be played. If I’m unable to play it as it’s meant to be played, and only experience a portion of the game (night time); then I’m inclined to just not play it. I’ll have to think about it though. I appreciate your input.

@HobbitGamer - It’s only missing one word and some punctuation to be a zen like statement:

In the world of color, meet (the) wonderful you.
You can do it.
Everything.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Hmm, I suppose that's kind of accurate. Though the pastels are too retro and the blazers and t's are too stylish (and FL/CA centric), and these people tear down everything with character from the past and rebuild it to the same gray/tan/black/glass structure, that's excessive in presence but not imposing in a brutalist sense, just overwhelming and haughty, everywhere. So much of this area was built in the 70's with a bit from the 60s and a bit from the 80s and 90s. There were a ton of interesting architectural styles from then ranging from farm/rustic to cabin inspired, to modernism & deco to brutalist, and some "retro future" with geometric design. Interesting exteriors, interesting interiors. I admit, I actually have a soft spot for brutalism and I hate seeing it all disappear. Some of it's pretty worse for the wear in terms of materials, but it needs to be refinished, not removed. I realize it's a polarizing style, however. But it's all being either replaced or refinished to be the exact same building copy and pasted everywhere like a cheap photoshop product.

Like everything in the modern world, where architectural styles is a wonderful tapestry of culture and period, the modern world likes to replace it with something indistinct, generic, yet projects faux status. It's not that it's timeless, it's that it's generic and fake, designed by committee to fulfill a consensus idea of generic rather than even being generic in an organically utilitarian way. It takes great effort to be generic in that way.

Nobody likes character and flavor anymore. They want everything to be brand new and never old, worn or used, but other than that, they desire uniformity. They want a mirror of what "everybody else" has. Albeit, everybody else of the same social status. Which is hilarious that it's the desire of the wealthy. Isn't that the core design philosophy of Communist architecture and fashion?

You're actually not wrong about the tofu-lemongrass-soy latte. There's a Starbucks every 20 feet (more about showing your devotion to the corporate gods) and somebody is buying them....but yeah, the crowd moving in is certainly the tofu lemongrass soy crowd...no question!

The architecture aspect reminds me of the malls, only on an even bigger scale. In the US all our malls are dying. They're thriving in the rest of the world. They're building new ones in the rest of the world. Here they're a new form of industrial decay, with most of them becoming abandoned and dark, torn down and replaced with......drumroll.....apartments and offices! There's a lot of hand wringing about "changing retail landscape" "online competition", "oversupply of retail space and malls", "the Great Recession changed consumer buying habits", All these supposed reasons the "smart" people come up with for why the mall died. (and huge sprawling billion dollar stadiums of glitzy shopping built merely in the late 70's were being torn down in massive demolitions projects by the mid 00's....)

I contend there's a different reason. The 70's malls were interesting. They had the styles of the times. Earth tones. Oranges, browns, reds. That went "out of fashion." But the architecture was an exotic range of palatial, naturalistic, futuristic. Unique places. Sure the tera cotta colored flooring got dated, but the all-wood walls and ceilings and panels and benches didn't. Large sitting areas with even larger fountain pools splashing down and creating movement and sound, tons of greenery, indoor palm trees, thick gardens, surrounding sitting areas. Dim-ish lighting at night that created a sense of place, and highlighted the brighter lit, or colored lights of stores, with lights shimmering off the fountains. The stores were eclectic mixes of department stores, street vendor type food stalls, a bazaar of all nations kind of mix of shops, interesting things all in this inviting space to get away from the world and enter a different world all its own. Each storefront was a tacky but interesting unique gateway to a different places surrounding the entrance, like a theme park for adults. You went out of your way to be there, not just because you needed to buy something, but just because you wanted to be there.

Then in the mid-90s they got this brilliant idea that the 15-20 year old malls were "dated." They all needed to be "modernized". At that point they retooled all of them in MASSIVE renovations to get rid of all that dated and eclectic 70s and 80's futuristic design and replace it all with the exact same faux marble tiles, blobby lines, white drywall on the walls, white drywall on the ceilings, white drywall on the storefronts, white drywall everywhere! White pillars! White floors! All the greenery was replaced with a handful of plants, the trees and tree planters were removed, and nondescript metal poles and minimalist sculpting dotted the mostly empty halls occasionally. The fountain pools were removed. Sometimes completely, sometimes replaced with tiny wall waterfalls or a small round floor bubbler that make little sound or movement. The sitting areas were removed and replaced with defensive architecture, discouraging idling, encouraging moving through the building. The dim mood lighting was replaced with extra bright full daylight lighting that drowned out the stores and erased the ambiance. They became something that looked like the unholy love child of a WalMart mating with a hospital inside Caesar's Palace. It was a bright, stark, white empty corridor in which to get in, buy something and get out. The destination of the lovely place to spend the day just to be there was erased by a shrine of commerce. And the eclectic bazaar was replaced with endless rows of national chain women's clothing stores. Why would anyone want to spend time in that shapeless blob of commercial efficiency? The mall didn't fail because retail changed and the economy changed. The malls failed because they broke the malls in the mid-90s by changing it's purpose in a remodel from an exotic destination people want to go to to be there to the most efficient and sterile, yet palatial purchasing warehouse they could build. Right after those remodels the malls started tanking. 20 years in they broke it. 30-40 years in they tore most of them down. And they're still too stupid to realize how they actually broke it, and instead have endless reports of "young people" and the "changing landscape of retail." The same people that built the future, then broke it, still haven't figure out they broke it and promise us they're building the new future again.

Worse, those remodels cost fortunes. They over-leveraged the entire building assuming the economy of the 80s and early 90's would only grow exponentially from there. The mall owners don't actually own any malls. They're under water in mortgages on them. The banks own it all and it was borrowed against for those remodels based on projected skyrocketing future sales that never happened. So the per-square foot price is so outrageous, no store can afford them. Once one department store started teetering, it all fell like dominoes. Mall "owners" started defaulting on mortgages left and right. Then the banks build whatever is highest value for land at the moment. Today it's offices and apartments. And once again it's the same short sighted thinking of the mid-90s. Reface the entire landscape of everything for what's booming THIS YEAR, forget long term cyclical patterns. If it's not profitable in 25 years we tear it all down and build something new!

But what kind of idiotic society builds an entire society (nation-wide!) around an entire plan...then 20 years later decides to go massively into debt to change that plan to a somewhat different one, and then 10-15 years after decides that entire plan was wrong, scraps the entire thing, implodes everything they built in the last 30 years, and just starts again with a whole new (equally stupid) plan? Which time(s) were they wrong? They should at least figure that out.

Then they build a new center and declare it revolutionary "out with the mall, in with a mixed use of shopping, dining, entertainment, this is what young people of today want!" They seem to entirely be unaware that that's what the mall WAS when it opened until they broke it and made it endless rows of clothing!

And these are the same people that have moved beyond the mall and are retooling the entire civilization for "what young people want today". Young people meaning "high earning young people with graduate degrees." And by that, they mostly mean "people who are well bred, grew up in wealthy environments with wealthy parents, went to big name universities, got high paying jobs, and have never in their adult lives experienced recession or hard times, which, when it next happens will RADICALLY re-prioritize everything for them." But they've already rearranged the entirity of all construction around that current position and not the future one that will unfold.....and there's no space left to correct it.

This won't end well.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@bimmy-lee Pelotons and $10 sandwiches are recession-proof here. Wait, what's a recession? That's when factory workers loose jobs and stuff, right? My economic hedge investment theory professor showed us a video of that. So funny! Like, why don't they just change with the times and #JustGetBetterJobs?

@Anti-Matter I will never understand how the companies that print such nonsensical Engrish on products manage to not find anyone who can even do a basic translation, or at least recognize that what they have doesn't even make sense? I would think that's not a terribly rare skill to find in China (where I assume most of these products come from.)

NEStalgia

NotTelevision

@NEStalgia Yeah I do like minimalist design to a degree, but it also makes everything appear too sterile. Like walking into a lot of businesses now feels like the equivalent of stepping into a Clorox lemon scented wipe. So many dilute shades of white and grey now.

The wood paneled BBQ hellhole off the highway feels really cosy in comparison.

That may just be nostalgia for a certain period of interior design talking though.

NotTelevision

NEStalgia

@NotTelevision Haha, yeah, that's a good description. Even before minimalism, in the 90's there was this trend toward white-washed homogenized non-descript everything. They actively removed any form of color and pattern from everything. The modern minimalism simply took that, removed the last traces of subtle color and pattern the 90's left, and also removed any form of shape, replacing it either with symmetric squared angles, or even worse, removing angles from everything and replacing it with gentle curves so everything feels like a mixture of the clorox wipe and a Fisher Price toy.

+1 for wood paneling!

I don't think it's a simple matter of a certain period of design. There are many many periods of design and this current corporate/minimalist design flies in the face of all prior designs in a very definite way. If you look at victorian or before everything was as thick and ornamental as possible. If you look at the early 20th century there was a lot of natural materials, but simplified geometry - the era of Modernism. Very natural, very organic shapes and materials, a very "traditional" approach yet updated to reflect newer production techniques. Post-modernism and art deco gave way into wild colors, reflecting new pigmenting and materials, it gave asymmetrical and avant garde shapes, a return to patterns, but with geometric design and a turn to, loosely "mathematical, mechanical, synthetic" rather than "naturalistic" design. Blues, greens, pinks, pastels were dominant.

The 70's rebelled against that (in the major key, so to speak) with a return to natural materials. Woods for everything, earth tones, naturalism, warm colors, orange, red, yellow, brown, tera cotta dominated. Plants too center stage. It also rebelled (in the minor key, so to speak) particularly with the malls with that future-sci-fi design. There was another thread through the 60s and 70s of brutalism rising. Plan materials, concretes, basic obvious imposing shapes. Heavy buildings that made a statement of it's purpose and permanence, and hiding none of its construction.

The 80's rebelled against that with it's jutting, entirely inorganic angles and patterns, asymmetrical placements, and a sort of "post-modern deco on steroids" with a focus on octagons and triangles. Stark neon colors replaced earth tones Curves changed from smooth to geometric and changing directions.

There was for many decades a back and forth of natural and sythetic. But all of them were interesting. each building had value and uniqueness, and each had a design to either admire or hate, something to cause interest and a sense of place.

The 90's started homogenization. Everything was to be bright white, and palatial. But it's continued steadily until now into this new minimalism. This is very different. It's no longer a style, reflection or rejection. It's not even minimal, as it tends to use excess to achieve the design.

It's an absence of design entirely. They've stripped out every element that could be considered design and left only a blank nothingness. If there's nothing of interest, there's nothing to dislike, nothing to reject, because nothing is there. Most importantly: It's cheap. It's a statement that maximum efficiency is paramount to all, design, and accommodating humans is no longer the purpose of the structure. Maximum monetary efficiency is the only value that matters. It's even more Communist in design than brutalism, yet originated from Capitalism.

I imagine where you are you have a very weird mix of minimalism and brutalism with not much in between. That we're seeing the same here is telling....

NEStalgia

Tyranexx

@ThanosReXXX The series does seem pretty relaxing; it partially just boils down to how I'm wired. "Gotta do this....Now this....ZOMG THAT NEEDS DONE" etc. I've never been diagnosed with true OCD, but I do wonder at times if I don't have some form of it. XD

I've recently been reconsidering how I play games. For backlog purposes I normally stick with 2-3 at a time, usually in different genres. I'm fully starting to realize that some franchises like Animal Crossing are probably better for me in smaller, digestable chunks.

@Heavyarms55 Ah yes, I'd forgotten the games normally run in real time. I'm typically an evening gamer for the most part, so some time-sensitive events might require some clock manipulation. Provided I care enough about them lol. Definitely an element to keep in mind.

Video Corner: How SM3DW Actually Started (language)
Currently playing: Metroid: Samus Returns, Golden Sun: Dark Dawn

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

ThanosReXXX

@HobbitGamer Lens trick? That doesn't really sound like something that's conducive to a longer life for your Dreamcast to me. Either way, it's an artificial solution, whereas mine, simply allowing the console to do its thing every now and then, is a rather simple, and natural way to keep consoles in shape. It won't solve everything all the time, obviously, but at least it doesn't involve extra tinkering with stuff that really shouldn't be tinkered with.

As for those hand me downs: that's just the problem. Even with family or friends, save for maybe one or two exceptions, I'd never trust those to be in any kind of good condition. You don't know where they stored it, so it may have been rotting away in a basement, or gathering dust in an attic, or even worse: playing host to families of bugs or spiders in a barn somewhere. The insides can only handle so much abuse, when you're talking about something as delicate as a PCB and GD-ROM drive. That's also the reason why I normally wouldn't buy stuff like that from eBay, unless it's a REALLY reputable/reliable seller, with a truckload of good reviews, because the pictures may look nice, but you never know how they treated the console, and in quite a few cases, the warranty expires as soon as the package lands on your doorstep.

@bimmy-lee Well, I'll keep an eye out for deals, or somewhat reputable eBay sellers...
Somewhere around the $60 - $65 mark really IS a good deal, though, if it comes complete with cables and controllers and in more or less mint condition. I'd always equate it to getting an entire console for the price of a retail game, which makes it pretty damn cheap in my book, and probably also in quite a few other people's book...

@Anti-Matter I find Engrish every day, in your comments...

@NEStalgia Okay, so no pastels, then. Well, let's go for suits in various shades of grey, and equally colorful (or maybe even black) turtlenecks. The women can still have some color and prints on their tube skirts...

By the way: did you know that cheese tea is becoming a thing now? I'm pretty sure you'll see dedicated shops popping up in your area soon, if they haven't already...

As for how Engrish keeps thriving unchecked: for the same reason that Anti's English isn't improving one single bit, even though he spends quite a lot of time on this site and should, for all intent and purposes, have picked up on how to correctly write and form some sentences, yet the errors persist.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

ThanosReXXX

@Tyranexx Yeah, it truly is relaxing. It's all about what YOU decide to do, not about what the game tells or asks you to do. There are of course day and night cycles, and things that you can only do in those times of the day, but other than that, I'd say there's hardly anything in there that might possibly trigger any OCD-related tendencies.

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX No pastels....but no suits. Turtlenecks definitely work. Especially for the creatives. For the others, it's more subtle. It looks like really cheap Wal Mart fashion that's been worn past usefulness, but it's actually designer and cost $180. If you can't tell the difference, you're just uncultured. Hobo-chic perhaps? The more homeless you look for the higher the price tag the more in fashion you are!

Wish I were joking. I'm sadly not. Though of course for work, for the guys it's all the same open top 2-buttons polo shirt and designer-casual cotton pants. Unless they do have a very traditional corporate job in which case it's a suit without the jacket by necessity. For the women....yeah, it's still just hobo-homeless look but slightly more tailored for corporate life. You want to dress to show your roots with your common man and how we're all one - as long as the dirty people that don't do Yoga are kept safely behind the security doors. And those stupid gloves that just have holes half way up the fingers. It's wonderful for preventing frostbite on your palms when bicycling around the new mixed use town center (that has nothing but restaurants) while making sure you can still post your latest trendy eats on Instagram without interruption!

Oh good grief. Cheese tea? Actually...that almost sounds....wait, no it doesn't.... What is the obsession with "let me take gross things that nobody had before because nobody would want it, but I need it because nobody's done it before?" And does that rule apply to cyanide too?

Nah, Anti's English has come a very long way over the past few years. There was a ton more Engrish and a lot less colloquial language a few years back. I find the improvement impressive, actually! It's not perfect, surely, but to be kind of "on page" of the "undocumented" use of casual language without living in a place is certainly an accomplishment.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Well, I'll agree he has improved somewhat, but I'm still seeing massive abuse of words like ever and also of verbs in the wrong form/person. By now, if English wasn't my native language, I would have done quite a bit better. Then again: learning languages is kind of my thing, so maybe I should give other people a pass on not being so adamant on getting it right like I myself would/will do...

Then again: he IS a teacher, so that does raise the bar of what you should be able to expect, in my opinion...

Funny thing about the misuse of "ever": recently, when I wrote my letter to him, when he left the site, I had to do some Google translating, to make sure I at least got the general message across, even though we all know that Google Translate is far from perfect in most languages, and when I translated what I wrote back to English, most instances of "always" and "never" were translated by "ever", so I have a sneaking suspicion that this is exactly where he got it from, or at least from literal translation, which is basically what Google Translate does, in most cases.

As for the cheese tea: it actually isn't as disgusting as it sounds or like the first thing that you probably picture in your mind. After all: we're also eating cheesecake, and people are just fine with that. It looks more like a topping of white foam or a malt shake, and it's basically meant to compliment any tea that it's poured on, so the taste depends on the kind of tea it's mixed with, obviously.

Here, have a look:

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX He's certainly not natively fluent, but I absolutely notice stark and consistent improvement over time in Anti's language to the point I expect it will over time arrive at "as nearly natively fluent" as you can get without having lived in a country with that native language. Which definitely deserves credit. Many (most) people will never get that far with a language without living there.

He may be a teacher, but he's not an English language teacher, and even if he were, he's elementary level. I can say with extreme confidence his English comprehension for an elementary level teacher is VASTLY superior to the high school level foreign language teachers I had in my high school in the languages they covered. They had, at best, "tourist travel" level understanding of the language, and I can guarantee not one of them could have sounded coherent on a French/Spanish/Italian/Japanese forum at the time

Aaahh, cream cheese...as a topping/milk replacement. That sounds a lot more appealing. I'm sure it will show up eventually. And maybe not at the high end. I was picturing a tea mad by steeping cheddar curd....

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia I figured you did, which is why I also added that first clip specifically, which explicitly states "it's not like the cheese that you put on a pizza". Some people might even have a picture of molten, orange cheddar in their minds, and that would even make me retch, but like I said, it's basically just a sweet topping, and more along the lines of cheesecake than actual cheese. I would have done something about the name, though, to prevent exactly these kinds of erroneous assumptions...

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic