Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 35,421 to 35,440 of 48,099

Tyranexx

@bimmy-lee I might suggest that! Though the puke potion is already quite bad. XD That stuff doesn't normally bother my stomach to where I wanna get sick, but I do have a pretty acute nose. I often give people with too much cologne or perfume a wide berth for example. I can usually also tell if someone owns a dog.

Currently playing: Secret of Mana (CoM/Switch), Pushmo

Switch Friend Code: SW-3478-2466-4791 | Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

Heavyarms55

@bimmy-lee Well most of the turn based FF titles, in fact all of them to the best of my memory, used random encounters, so if that's a deal breaker there isn't much I can suggest. If you're looking for a turn based JRPG that doesn't have long movie-like cutscenes or many if any random encounters... I think you want Dragon Quest 11 honestly. As that describes the game almost perfectly. The game is turn based, has short in-game cut scenes, and you can see enemies walking around and they are almost always very easy to avoid if you don't want a fight.

Most of the older FF titles were turn based or pseudo turn based but they pretty much all had random encounters from what I remember. I haven't played them all and admittedly haven't beaten any of them. I have a really bad habit of playing like 80% of a final fantasy game and then leaving it unfinished.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55 / SW 4867-2891-2493#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

bimmy-lee

@Tyranexx - We have similar noses. I can get queasy from cologne and perfume. There are two people in my office who bathe in it, and it’s cheap, horrid stuff. I can smell them hours after they’ve left. I just want to tell them that whatever they’re trying to cover up can’t possibly smell as bad as what they’re using to cover it up. One of them rode in my car one time and I had to crack the window on a cold day. It took days to get the smell out.

@Heavyarms55 - I do the same thing with most RPGs. I get super into them, play them for weeks, build my character up, then suddenly stop playing for no reason at all. I think the last one I completed was Child of Light on WiiU. I really liked that one though, and it wasn’t very long.

I played the DQXI demo and really liked it. I had a voucher left after pre installing Link’s Awakening and wanted to get it, but I promised my kids Luigi’s Mansion 3. I was also concerned I’d do my shameful RPG maneuver mentioned above and never finish it. I’ll probably grab it next year. I’m also one to be turned off by a super lengthy game. I just don’t have the time I’d like to devote to it.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

Heavyarms55

@bimmy-lee Well Luigi's Mansion 3 should be a fun one, and playing it with your kids makes you the cool parent.

Tyranexx

@bimmy-lee Ugh, I definitely can relate. As much as I love both of my grandmothers, one of them uses way too much perfume sometimes.

This brings to mind a relatable clip from my childhood:

On RPGs where you can see enemy encounters coming vs. being pounced on at random: a more classic, quirky turn-based one that I would recommend trying is Earthbound. Sneaking up on enemies gives you an advantage, but they can pounce on you from behind as well.

bimmy-lee

@Heavyarms55 - Yeah, I made it sound like I regret it, but I can’t wait to give it a try. It’ll be my first in the series. It became a tough decision after the DQ demo though. I’ve been brainwashing my kids with Mario stuff for years though, so this is what I get. The mobile above their crib was Sanei Mario plushies I hung from fishing line and swivels. All the flying and swimming baddies. Their earliest memories are probably looking up and seeing Lakitu, Cheep Cheep, Bullet Bill, etc. They actually don’t play much, but they know most of the Mario and LOZ characters.

@Tyranexx - Good ole Arthur. My kids like that show. Gotta love the PBS Kid’s Club app. I finally got my chance to play Earthbound on the WiiU, and I loved it. I’d put it right up there on
my favorite games list. I haven’t done a playthrough on the SNES Mini yet, but it’s in the plans. It looks a better on the mini, it’s a lot brighter.

Edited on by bimmy-lee

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

Anti-Matter

@bimmy-lee
Try to make it fun chores when playing RPG games.

Recommended light RPG games with Visible enemies:
1. Fantasy Life 3DS
2. Portal Knights PS4
3. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4 / Switch
4. Evoland 2 Switch / PS4
5. Earthlock Switch

Recommended light RPG games with Random encounters :
1. Miitopia 3DS
2. Pokemon games
3. Final Fantasy III NDS / PSP

The things i LOVE :
1. Dance Dance Revolution
2. Eurobeat songs
3. Japan
4. Six pack dudes
5. Cute Chibi looking
6. Boxing & Kickboxing
7. Girly games
8. Life simulation games
9. White & Blue colors
10. Anthro animals

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

Heavyarms55

@bimmy-lee If I ever get married and have kids, I'm gonna do the same, with Pokemon and Mario first, Star Wars and Gundam when they are a little older.

Tyranexx

@bimmy-lee That Mario mobile sounds awesome!

Arthur started around the time I became aware that the TV really existed. The show was a staple of my childhood. I didn't like when they transitioned to computer animation vs. the old hand-drawn style, but such are the times we live in.

Glad that you have played Earthbound! I also played it (and Beginnings/Mother) on the Wii U. I need to fire it up on the SNES Classic as well at some point.

Heavyarms55

@RedderRugfish No, I noticed that as well. Maybe it got linked somewhere and got a bunch of hits.

BruceCM

bimmy-lee wrote:

I’m really stretching here as I’ve never really played a FF game, a fact that lowers my gamer cred no doubt. I tried the one on the SNES classic, but I didn’t like the real time battles. I’m a turn based nerd at heart.

FFI-III have fully turn-based, IV-XII have the active version, with some tweaking. XIII trilogy has the so-called conditional turn-based system. I guess XV is near enough real-time?
So, you must mean FFIV? If you really want the static turm-based battles, have you played the Tactics ones?

SW-4357-9287-0699
Gamertag: BruceCM

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee Well, seeing as I've reacted kinda late to your question, most of the options have already been given by other people. Personally, I never minded any of the fighting mechanics in those older games, whether they would be truly turn-based or some mix of turn-based and action with random encounters.

And besides that, and perhaps more important in my case: it's been so long ago since I played them, that I don't even know that much about them anymore, other than the fact that I did like them, and that I lost interest in the series once they moved towards ever larger and more realistic cut scenes and worlds.

For me, there's something magical about the classic RPG's in general, even though I do like several current series, Dragon Quest definitely being one of them, as well as the Tales series, maybe it's their very nature, of being rather simplistic in style and grandeur, or scope, but that does allow more input from the players themselves.

I'd almost liken it to a book where, regardless of sometimes pretty elaborately described characters, you'll still be able to use much of your own imagination to visualize people and locations, and with 2D art, you can pretty much do the same, imagining how it would look in 3D or in a real world setting. So, kinda like padding out the story, characters and setting to match your own views/expectations.

But having said all that, don't mistake me for saying that 2D/classic RPG's are limited or less than modern day ones. Some are absolutely stellar, and others maybe aren't as stellar, but are still just a dream to play for fans of the genre.

For the SNES or SNES Mini, you'll want to get a hold of the translated versions of the SNES Fire Emblem games, and other SNES RPG's/RPG series I liked and which might be worth looking into, are Breath of Fire, Secret of Mana, Trials of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma, Lufia, Star Ocean, Bahamut Lagoon, Ys, Shadow Run, Ogre Battle, Tactics Ogre and Front Mission.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Anti-Matter

@ThanosReXXX
Psst...
I want to recommend indie RPG games with Classic Final Fantasy + Zelda sensation.

And what do you think with my recommendation ?

The things i LOVE :
1. Dance Dance Revolution
2. Eurobeat songs
3. Japan
4. Six pack dudes
5. Cute Chibi looking
6. Boxing & Kickboxing
7. Girly games
8. Life simulation games
9. White & Blue colors
10. Anthro animals

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

ThanosReXXX

@Anti-Matter Psst... I'd rather have a thank you or at the very least an acknowledgment for my insect light recommendations, that I looked up earlier, especially for you...

As for that RPG: I like the SNES style part of it, but not that fake PS2/GameCube style. Other than that, I already have more than enough games to play, and if you have read the rest of the conversation, then you might have understood that the recommendations for RPG's are supposed to go to @bimmy-lee, NOT to me. Currently, I'm not really looking for new RPG's to play.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

BruceCM

Definitely with Chrono Trigger, @ThanosReXXX .... Star Ocean 1st Departure is getting a remaster for Switch &, presumably, 2nd Evolution will follow in due course

SW-4357-9287-0699
Gamertag: BruceCM

NEStalgia

@Anti-Matter I love when games play with the idea of cross-generational graphics. That Ninja Gaiden tribute did something similar with NES/SNES eras. But that "new" era part reminds me of Tokyo RPG Factory games, and that instantly turns me off. Their games feel like I'm staring into a void of someone who's never actually played an RPG. Ok, that applies to most things Square does these days other than DQ.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@bimmy-lee FF is weird. It's not often a true turn based game. The old ones were, but they started moving to ATB long long ago, where it's turn-based but with a real-time element. And of course 15 is just an action game.

NEStalgia

Tyranexx

When did the FF series start moving towards ATB? I have IV (DS) and VI backlogged but would like to try the newer ones eventually.

Eel

The first one to introduce ATB was IV.

Bloop.

My dead channel.

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

NEStalgia

I mean, ATB is still turn based, but turn based with a chess timer, more or less. You don't forfeit your turn if you act too slow. You just die horribly.

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic