Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 35,441 to 35,460 of 96,315

bimmy-lee

@Heavyarms55 - I know he wrote the naked pixie review, which I happened to enjoy, but what in the heck was clickbait-y about this review?!? It was a well done. There was nothing sensational at all. I was being sarcastic in my disbelief that people would take the opportunity, given the subject, to be outraged and/or act like buffoons.

Edit - Oh man, just went back and saw your comment. So you’re offended that you were warned the game isn’t for the easily offended?!? I don’t even know what to say.

Edited on by bimmy-lee

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

Vinny

Anyone here played Driver: San Francisco?
The main mechanic was so cool, and the number of licensed cars was huge. Really 'out there' plot too.

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX "Besides, once you're used to having discussions with NEStalgia, any other text wall seems moderate in comparison... "

True dat. But I've since ceded my crown to Ralek. He's surpassed me by miles

@bimmy-lee What could possibly have happened in that comment section? It's a frelling shmup with a finger ship. There's not underage anime titshows, no mysogeny, no voice actors that self admit nondescrilt "abuse" of coworkers.... no censorship, no Pokemon. What are people complaining about a 2d bullet hell side scroller featuring a frelling cartoon finger?!?

@stableinvadeel spill the beans, what happened there?

@Heavyarms55 you know, i haven't started kh3 yet, still going back though the old ones first, but i actually thought there WAS an sw area!

NEStalgia

Heavyarms55

@NEStalgia Nope, there were a lot of rumors about one when Disney bought the rights and leading right up until the release of KH3. I think there still are occasional rumors about DLC even. But there isn't one. And in an interview with IGN they stated that the way contracts work for the different properties, that it was too hard to set up. Which I seriously doubt, too hard probably just means they didn't want to take the time to set it up.

@bimmy-lee I'm not offended, I'm disappointed in NintendoLife for resorting to such bottom of the barrel tactics for clicks. It's the same crap you see on social media all the time "Look at me! I was rude, this game/video/music is crude and not "PC" get angry, be outraged, laugh at anyone who doesn't like it and argue till the sun cools! Make me all the ad revenue!"

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Ralizah

LOL
People love to start drama online.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Heavyarms55

@StableInvadeel Ten bucks says you or another mod is gonna have to keep watching it.

@Ralizah truer words may have never been spoken!

HobbitGamer

I overslept on my billing cycle day, and had 13 emails from people that magically realized they made mistakes yesterday evening. I don’t like the direction this morning is headed.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee Yeah, I already saw it being mentioned that comments were deleted, but far as I could see, it was just the usual suspect, picking up a pitchfork because apparently, someone made a bad joke concerning people with, shall we say, other interests than the usual, and that offended him, so he got on his soap box. It really tires me sometimes, how we're all supposed to walk on egg shells nowadays, instead of it being like it should, and all these people just creating some backbone and broad backs to let stuff slide off from without it instantly hurting or insulting them...

@Heavyarms55 Well, I used to order a LOT of comics. Back then, it was done by filling out a list from a physical catalog: The Previews comics catalog. Previews still exists, except obviously, it's online nowadays.

So, you'd pick up the catalog from your comics dealer, fill out the accompanying check list and then bring that list back to the dealer, and several weeks later, or months, depending on the release date of the ordered items, you'd receive all your stuff. Didn't just order comics, by the way: I've got T-Shirts, dolls, figurines, import anime on VHS tapes (yup, it's THAT long ago), and so on.

Either way, the dealer had these types of wooden crates stacked behind the counter:
Untitled
Except colored/painted, where they'd store all the comics ordered by their clients, separated by tabs.

I erm... at one point, I kinda may have had one crate all to myself....

In the beginning, I started out really modest, picking up around 50 - 60 bucks worth a month, then slowly but surely, 50 became a 100, 100 became 200 and so on. At a certain point, I had to pick up things in parts, because
I couldn't pay it all at once anymore, and that just meant that there was always part of a delivery left, on top of which came a new delivery and so forth. I guess you'll get the picture, and it grew to a point where I had amassed around 1500 or more in back log to still pick up and pay.

So, the dealer stepped in, explaining what it cost him, how I was never going to be able to get rid of that back log and therefore, it might be wise to whittle it down to just 5 to 10 series, and no more exclusive items and so on. But as a true addict, I didn't see myself doing that, so ultimately, I decided to just quit altogether, much as it pained me to do so. Even thinking about it now, still bugs me. Then again: I still have four cardboard crates filled with comics, all neatly packed in plastic and acid free cardboard backs, so it's not like I lost ALL of them...

But yeah, the dealer was a nice guy indeed, even though he wasn't completely doing it out of the goodness of his heart, obviously, since like I already mentioned, storing my back log and not getting paid for it, also cost him quite a bit.

On a side note: I have to say that in regards to that comments section that @bimmy-lee mentioned, I'm honestly just as surprised as he was, about your comment in it. I wasn't offended by it at all, and if I would have to write an article about a game which might contain offensive material, whether in image or in words, then I'd probably also put a disclaimer in my article, warning people that are indeed easily offended, that they might not appreciate this game, so in my opinion, there's nothing sensationalist or click-batey in there either.

But having said that, that's just my opinion of course, and I'm perfectly fine with people having a different one.

@NEStalgia Ha! You'd wish Ralek beats you. Maybe sometimes, but you post 'em more frequently, my friend. Just own it, already.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Heavyarms55

@ThanosReXXX Well I'm definitely old enough to remember VHS - though it doesn't feel like it's as long ago as it was. I teach kids now who were born after DVDs were the norm, most have never even seen a VCR outside of maybe an old one at their grandparent's homes. Just this week we had a lesson about phone English "Hello? This is Bob." instead of "I am Timmy." for example. And we had to explain why you would have to ask "May I speak to Becky?" because kids don't know what a home phone/land line is anymore...

As to the comics, wow, that's some serious collecting. I have to say I am impressed you were able to stop. All that keeps me from buying more and more stuff when I have the money is the fact that I have this really strong obsession of not buying things I have no room to display - if I have the money of course.

As to my comment and what I was saying with @bimmy-lee I'm not offended, I'm disappointed in NintendoLife. Using that sort of language and embracing the "offensive" nature of the game is just screaming "Haha, look how edgy and not PC I am! Click my article!" and begging for people to get into arguments to generate yet more clicks. I hate that aspect of the internet - the "say rude or deliberately offensive things" to generate attention and I hate that it works. But I teach middle school kids, curse words, middle fingers and penis jokes really don't do anything to me anymore. Beyond occasionally make me sigh and question why I didn't request high school instead when I signed up for the job.

But @bimmy-lee I don't want to cause an argument here on this thread too, so let's just leave it at that. I can agree to disagree with you guys if it didn't appear that way to you.

HobbitGamer

@ThanosReXXX I just say what I want, rather than this new eggshell speak. That doesn’t mean I’m a jerk about things, which is apparently what’s assumed if you don’t toe the pc line. I feel like if something genuinely uncouth is said, it should be pointed out as such, then left alone to wither. No back and forth, no escalation, no anything.
One of the things I saw that tickles me:

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

ThanosReXXX

@Heavyarms55 Yeah, I think that's the gist of it: I just didn't see that, and instead just saw it as the example
I gave, if I would have been in their place having to write such an article. Sometimes, the most obvious reason actually is the reason, instead of us having to look for "ulterior motives", but fair enough if you don't agree. In the end, it's all opinions anyways.

Had to smile at the part about kids not knowing what a land line is anymore. It reminds me of all those videos on YouTube where they let kids try and find out how to operate all kinds of devices from before their time. It's quite funny sometimes.

As for the comics: well, it wasn't that easy, and I kinda walked around with a chagrined grin on my face and a pit in my stomach for the rest of the year, but it had to be done. I also needed cash for the weekends and so on, so comics were becoming an almost bottomless money pit that I simply couldn't afford anymore.

But I was never much bothered by not being able to display them. As you'll probably know or understand, you'd want to keep your comics in mint condition, so sealed and stored away, not displayed where the sun can wreak havoc on the colors of the ink it's printed with. Only thing I have on display in my house right now, is my game and console collection. And my movies on DVD and Blu-Ray. All the other stuff is safely stored away, only to be taken out and admired every now and then.

@HobbitGamer Thanks for posting that, it was brilliant, and I couldn't have agreed more. Then again, you might already have figured as much from me saying " ..instead of it being like it should, and all these people just creating some backbone and broad backs to let stuff slide off from without it instantly hurting or insulting them"...

I was instantly thinking that this should have been posted in that comments section, but probably better not to do so, lest we hurt even more tender souls...

On a side note: ah, 240p, we meet again.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

bimmy-lee

Brilliant clip there Hobbit. I’ve never heard of Michael McIntyre (edit - whoops, that’s Steve Hughes), but I’ll be looking around for the rest of that show. Thanks.

@Heavyarms55 - I guess you could argue why the review exists. There are a lot of games to review every week, and they chose that one. I’d like to think it’s because it’s a surprisingly great game. I love shmups, but I’m a bit bored with the genre. This one has a couple interesting elements (grabbing enemy ships for power ups, the stealth bar) which make it stand out from the rest. I’m glad they reviewed it as I thought the game looked a bit crappy and cringey when I checked it out in the coming soon section, and now I know I was very wrong in that assessment. I don’t want to argue either. I don’t understand your disappointment with NL, but I also don’t need to understand it because it’s not my disappointment. Agreed to agree to disagree.

@NEStalgia - It’s the last quarter of 2019 NES, if we don’t act as our own thought police, then upstanding citizens will do it for us. Nothing is allowed to merely exist. We must pick a side. You decide right now where you stand on middle finger ships, join the appropriate side, and die fighting. Do it. Now! Before it’s too late.

@ThanosReXXX - I was just mad last night because I thought of a couple jokes for the comments while reading the review, but couldn’t/wouldn’t post them because everyone was too busy calling each other names. Serious stuff. No place for irreverence. It wasn’t more than a year or two ago that the comment section would have been half full of humor, and the other half annoyed that we weren’t sticking to the topic at hand, a shmup. I’ve said this before here, but we can no longer celebrate our differences through comedy, we have to fight over them. It’s dangerous. Ah well, truck it. Have you seen Dave Chappelle’s most recent comedy special on Netflix? I think you’d thoroughly enjoy it.

Edited on by bimmy-lee

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee No, I haven't, but if you have a YouTube link or the name of the show, then I'd be able to check it out this weekend. Might be something to enjoy alongside my snack plate and Bacardi & Coke...

On a side note: you may have noticed the giant letters in the back on that stage where the comedian in that clip that Hobbit posted was standing on. That's the Apollo stage in West End, London in England.

If you just search Netflix (or YouTube) for "Live at the Apollo", you'll get plenty of results. Only the best comedians perform there, so you should be able to find more than enough hilarious material.

Heavyarms55

@ThanosReXXX Yes, comics themselves you totally want to keep in good condition. But plenty of other collectibles aren't enjoyed if they are kept in a box, in a closet forever. My apartment is literally covered in Gunpla, anime tapestries, figures, amiibo, tons of Pokemon plushies, etc... But I've become much more picky about what I buy because I've run rather low of space for them.

Yeah I've seen some of those YouTube videos too. Some can be really funny, but some kinda feel like they are picking on the kids too. I mean, I can't blame a kid who's never even seen a rotary phone for not knowing how to use it. But when a kid can't figure out how to use a Game Boy... like, it's really not that different than modern devices and in a lot of ways, far simpler. Like, come on kid, fiddle with if for another minute, I'm sure you'll get it. lol

HobbitGamer

@Heavyarms55 I'd be really sad if they couldn't figure out "Ball-in-a-Cup"

#MudStrongs

Heavyarms55

@HobbitGamer Ahhhh so THAT is the English name for that thing. After living in Japan for 4 years I forgot what "kendama" was in English. I totally just had to Google that. lol

To be fair, kendama is a little different than the picture of the ball in a cup that wikipedia uses. But it's basically the same thing.

ThanosReXXX

@Heavyarms55 Ah, I see. Forming a mental picture of what you apartment might look like as we speak...
And it'll probably be quite a challenge to fit a lot of stuff in there already, assuming you're living in one of these infamous box apartments, that we as foreigners always get to gawk at on TV and on YouTube.

By comparison, my apartment will probably be two to three times bigger, so I'd be able to store and/or display all my collectibles easily enough, but I'm not THAT much of a collector, that I would want them displayed in my living room all of the time. And seeing as gaming is still my current hobby, that's predominantly what's present in my living room.

NintendoByNature

Is anyone else thinking about grabbing haunted Halloween 86? I'm intrigued, i will say.

NintendoByNature

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic