Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 35,361 to 35,380 of 96,524

bimmy-lee

HobbitGamer wins... FATALITY!

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

Heavyarms55

@ThanosReXXX Honestly I agree. They took too long to bring SNES games to NSO, I really hope we get both N64 and Game Boy/Color games on the service much sooner. And then a few months later they add GBA too. Ultimately I would like to see up to Gamecube on the service by 2021 at the latest, preferably sooner.

But that said I have little faith in that actually happening. Nintendo has kept up their strange reluctance to support NSO beyond the bare minimum. :/

On the topic of the Star Wars movies, I rented them from the movie store so many times on VHS back in the day, it was a wonder that my parents never just bought a copy - they probably could have bought all 3 3 times over by the time my uncle gave us the special edition on tape. Said uncle also took my to see the prequels which unlike many, I mostly really liked.

I grew up watching the classics, building the Legos and playing the games, and reading the books of the expanded universe - something I still very much enjoy. But I have no patience for Disney's new films. In my view they are all but irredeemable for the simple fact that Disney did their own thing and discarded the stories I love. Beyond that I have a laundry list of things I don't like but most notably is the way they ruined the characters of Han, Chewie, Luke and Leia.

I love the EU. From the Truce at Bakura, X-Wing novels, Thrawn Trilogy and Duology, I Jedi, Corellian Trilogy, leading into the New Jedi Order series. Which is where, if I were to pick, the series would largely have ended. Legacy of the Force was okay, but I felt it undid too much of what came before. Fate of the Jedi had interesting ideas but the pacing was so rushed that it felt like it was meant to be much longer and publishers forced the writers to condense it...

I never got as much into the Old Republic era stuff - but KOTOR 1 and 2 were extraordinary games! And Darth Bane's novel and Plageous were supposed to be top tier.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

HobbitGamer

Flawless Eatery.

Watching an exorcism movie called Welcome to Mercy now.

Also, Grand Admiral Thrawn > Vader

Edited on by HobbitGamer

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee You thought it was cute, my sister definitely didn't. She just wanted her little brother to stop embarrassing her in public...

(edit: and of course I knew the order of the movies. I was just being kinda sarcastic about it, more to make fun of people not in the know, not understanding how a movie series can start with episode IV)

@Heavyarms55 Yeah, NSO is a service in dire need of updating to modern standards, but like you, I'm not holding my breath for it to happen any time soon. Instead, we'll see N64 somewhere in 2022 or 2023, and hopefully GameCube and Wii before 2025...

As for Star Wars: I've actually enjoyed all the movies, but nothing can trump the original trilogy, so in that regard,
I think most fans are in agreement, at least. Never read any of the books, and in general, I'm a bit milder towards all the later movies than most. I'm already happy to see Chewbacca again, or C3PO and R2D2. Probably due to youthful sentiment, which makes me a bit more of a forgiving person.

Some of the movies where, even in my milder opinion, a bit too much a product of their time, like how the older youngster Anakin was kind of coming across as the sci-fi equivalent of an emo/goth/anti-establishment douche, but overall, I was able to stomach and enjoy most of it, regardless of what other, probably more hardcore fans thought of it.

But at least, a lot of the games were good, so there's still that for us to enjoy. I have many of them on the GameCube, and some on Xbox and even on the Wii, so I'm pretty much sorted in that regard, where it concerns pretty decent to great Star Wars games.

@HobbitGamer Yoda > ALL.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

NintendoByNature

Very unpopular opinion, I know......but I've never really gotten into star wars. But i love spaceballs so gimme a break will ya?

NintendoByNature

bimmy-lee

Just sat down to watch NWA Powerrr on YT, and it recommended a video on how to paint the Northern Lights. Maybe I’m naive, but I’m sufficiently creeped out at the possibility YT is pulling terms from my conversations on NL and recommending videos based from that. I have never searched the term Northern Lights anywhere to my knowledge.

Also, Han shot first because you don’t mess with ole Space Pirates, and he doesn’t need the Force or the Dark Side to be badder than everyone... except for Lord Vader of course.

@ThanosReXXX - We’ve probably all practiced our light saber maneuvers at some point. I feel silly for not picking up on your joke. Of course you know the order. Flew right over my head like one of the many errant blaster shots from all those Storm Troopers who couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn.

limby-bee was a jerk.

Heavyarms55

@ThanosReXXX I imagine I wouldn't care as much about the new movies if I had never read any of the books or comics or played the games. I'd still rank the new movies lower than the prequels by a good margin despite agreeing almost completely with your point about Anakin. The thing is, even without knowing how the characters evolved in the books, I hate how the treated the original trilogy characters in the new movies so much it's not even funny. They made Han into a weakling, Luke into a coward, Chewbacca embraced his role as the family dog and Leia never became a Jedi. I also don't like that the Rebel Alliance "won" only to immediately become the corrupt lazy Republic again. The Resistance should have just been what was left of the military after the First Order attack. And... I'm going to stop there before I go on and on listing everything I don't like about the films because it will be a serious wall of text.

Although I don't think I'd be as harsh on the new movies if I wasn't as fond of the expanded universe as I am - I also think I wouldn't care nearly as much about Star Wars. For me, the original movies were the starting point to an amazing universe that was crawling with so much fun content! It had games, books, comics and movies and they were all interconnected! Yes there were errors and some of the content was honestly pretty bad (Crystal Star and Darksaber were pretty bad) but there was so much good that it was easy to overlook the issues. There was always another book, another game, another comic I could pick up and though imperfect, always an effort to make the universe one thing. You could play the X-Wing games and have characters like Wedge and Tycho and Thrawn show up, then see them in the books. You could see Luke and Mara get engaged in a novel then read a comic about their wedding. There was an immense amount of world building and new characters introduced and an evolving story that always had more for me. And 9 times out of 10 it was cool, great or outstanding. With admittedly a stinker now and then.

If it had just been the movies, I'd likely have enjoyed them but long since moved on. I'd have seen the new movies as a lazy cash grab by Disney to capitalize on an old but well known name. (Which is kinder than I currently see them)

(and this still turned into a wall of text... sorry)

Edited on by Heavyarms55

Sunsy

@NintendoByNature To be honest, I'm starting to lose interest in it. I did see the two recent Star Wars movies and Solo, beyond that I just see myself finishing the current trilogy to see the end of the story.

I don't hate the series, and Chewbacca is my favorite. Another one here who loves Spaceballs, that movie is so funny.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

NintendoByNature

@Sunsy yea it just never clicked with me. My brother was Into it, but really didn't push it on me like other stuff.. so i never attempted to sit down and watch em..i feel like the only one in the world lol. I've watched bits and pieces but never got sucked in.

NintendoByNature

Sunsy

@NintendoByNature That's fine, I know people who aren't into it, or just aren't big on it (they enjoy it casually), so I wouldn't say you're the only one.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

NintendoByNature

@bimmy-lee ouch, and here i thought, i could coast in this thread by just liking football, good food, and scary movies. I have much to learn teacher, much to learn...

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

bimmy-lee

@NintendoByNature - Haha, I know you know I was joking, but you like and don’t like whatever you want my friend. If I hadn’t gotten sucked in by the original trilogy, there’s no way I’d care about it today. I know lots of people who aren’t in to Star Wars.

limby-bee was a jerk.

NotTelevision

What were everyone’s thoughts on the recent Mad Max and Blade Runner sequels? I’m a fan of the original trilogy of Mad Max films (Beyond Thunderdome I thought was awesome even though a lot of people don’t like it) and the 1982 Blade Runner. Maybe they lack some of the old school charm of the older movies, but they really surpassed my expectations.

NotTelevision

Heavyarms55

While we're talking about Sci-Fi stuff, anyone else here a fan of the 2003-2010 Battlestar Galactica? It remains to this day my single favorite work of fiction.

@NotTelevision I haven't seen them, but I was surprised they happened. Had you asked me before they happened, if they would, I'd not have thought it likely.

NintendoByNature

@bimmy-lee lol, i know im just having fun. I mean.......we all know species was a far superior sci-fi franchise over star wars.....right?

😉😉😉

Speaking of wierd sci fi movies, anyone ever watch splice? Not sure why that popped into my head, but I remember seeing it with my brother in theaters and walking away disgusted. Those of you who have seen it, probably recall why i left wanting to lose my lunch.
@hobbitgamer get back in your hobbit hole and farm for pineapples will ya!

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

NotTelevision

@Heavyarms55 Yeah those movies weren’t super popular when they came out, but grew in stature over the years on the home video market and through word-of-mouth. It definitely took a while and a lot of false starts to see them to fruition.

Want to watch Battlestar Galactica, but I have a weird track record with TV series because of the time commitment required. I really enjoyed Firefly and watched most of Star Trek: The Next Generation, so I’m sure I’ll like it. Slowly working my way through Twin Peaks, but I’ll check out Battlestar Galactica after I’m done with this series.

Edited on by NotTelevision

NotTelevision

BruceCM

Haven't seen the Blade Runner 1, @NotTelevision .... But Fury Road was great!

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

NotTelevision

@NintendoByNature Sorry I originally read your post as “Splinter” and not “Splice”. Splice was an entertaining movie. It gets pretty strange with the creepy alien sex stuff, but I kind of felt bad for the creature in a way.

NotTelevision

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic