Forums

Topic: Ideas for the site

Posts 1,921 to 1,940 of 2,578

Mioaionios

So ehm... it's been nearly three weeks since I updated my profile picture but on the main page in the Forum Topics section, it still shows my old one. Is this normal?

Mioaionios

WoomyNNYes

@Mioaionios If I've been on NL's news page, I've seen my old profile pic in the Forum column (right side of page) as long as 1-2 weeks after I changed my pic. My new pic would show fine in the forums and on my profile page, though. That's how the site has been. So, I'd say that's normal. But three weeks does sound long.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

Mioaionios

@WoomyNNYes
Yes, that's what I thought.
I just remembered I uploaded a slightly modified version of the same picture a couple of days later though. Totally forgot about that.
So maybe that's why it hasn't updated yet.
Guess I'll need a bit more patience, lol.

Mioaionios

Anti-Matter

I wonder if we can find the user's name with list directory.

Anti-Matter

Maxenmus

So, regarding the latest incident of argumentative posts. I feel like the report function isn't working as well as I would like, which is one reason why I make the mistake sometimes of "disagreeing" with argumentative posts (in as respectful a manner as I can). I remember reporting a lot of passive-aggressive argumentative posts that served only to bait others into arguing, but none of them got removed. I think there are a few threads that pretty much violate this single rule alone:

"Posts that purposefully or systematically go against the grain to trigger a reaction from others are prohibited. Purposefully disrupting discussions with unpopular opinions to create arguments is not allowed, we simply suggest you don't get involved in these conversations. Users that are seen to be continuously trolling or baiting will be banned."

There are threads literally titled "Unpopular opinions", and they're often filled with opinions served to create arguments, my opinions included. Whether these posters like myself inadvertently or purposefully created these arguments, I think if rules are enforced more harshly and more argumentative posts are removed, myself and many other users would be less encouraged to post such reaction-triggering posts. Just my two cents.

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

Switch Friend Code: SW-7926-2339-9775 | 3DS Friend Code: 3539-9678-8621 | My Nintendo: Flare | Nintendo Network ID: OriusPrime

Tasuki

@Maxenmus I don't think it's a problem with the report button rather then who responds and if in their opinion anything is being violated. I have had several of my posts deleted, several threads locked in the past and redirected to other similar threads in the past yet when I report similar posts nothing usually happens. I am guessing the mod team aren't on the same page which honestly they should be.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Maxenmus

@Tasuki Yeah, and it becomes a tricky Battleship game of cherry-picking which post you should respond to, or which post you should ignore even if you find it to be disrespectful and it was not removed. So if the mods didn't remove those posts, does that mean I would be in the right to respond to them? Because the mods' inaction tells me that they don't consider those posts I reported to be disrespectful and flame-baiting, which means I am within the rights of the community rules to respond (in a respectful manner of course).

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

Switch Friend Code: SW-7926-2339-9775 | 3DS Friend Code: 3539-9678-8621 | My Nintendo: Flare | Nintendo Network ID: OriusPrime

Tasuki

@Maxenmus Right, but then the puzzling part is when the delete your post but leave the one that started it its almost like they are targeting users rather then posts.

I mean it's funny but I have been here for years. And several years ago I made a thread talking about emulating games on my PC, I didn't tell people how or where to go just that I find it easier to emulate SNES games on that especially ones that were too expensive at the time. Well it was locked and I got a warning that we can't talk about any sort of emulation here, which ok that fine I understand. But now I see posts all the time oh I mod my Wii, or I mod my 3DS oh because Nintendo is shutting down servers so I am modding my Wii U. So it confuses me and makes me feel like I was targeted.

Another example is I made a post at the time asking for help on a game and instead of getting help it was locked and I was told here is the main game thread ask here, which again that's fine but why did mine get locked and other don't. The the big one when someone asks which game do I get game A or game B. When I did that years ago for a couple of Wii games I was told go ask in the Wii recommendation thread yet I see plenty of I need help choosing a Switch game threads at least once a week.

That's another reason that I don't post much anymore, inconsistencies when it comes to the rules.

My Backlog

Maxenmus

@Tasuki I agree, it's inconsistent. I do see the mods trying their best, even as recent as the past 24 hours, so it's not like I blame them or anything. But I think it helps to have discussions like this to just point out how the system could be improved. If rules start having loopholes, people will start using them to their advantage and break those rules, thus making it harder for you to moderate them.

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

Maxenmus

@NeonPizza It's passive-aggressive on both sides. lol I do agree that they were right to remove those posts because they're the type of comments that attract drama, and a flame war is the last thing we need on this site.

Maxenmus

Maxenmus

@NeonPizza More like putting someone down for spamming by using a derogatory word to describe games that person likes (without mentioning anything related to "spamming" in their criticism). Misunderstandings happened, because I assumed that it was a criticism about discussing games they consider inferior rather than someone spamming images of "bad games," and aggressions rose.

I mean, even yourself wouldn't have known it's related to spamming images if I didn't tell you.

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

Okami1

I still don't understand what happened...

dysgraphia awareness human

Maxenmus

@Kermit1 It's fine. lol Let's just move past it and get on with our lives. Life's too short.

Maxenmus

Okami1

@Maxenmus yep, that's the best thing to do.

dysgraphia awareness human

Tasuki

@Maxenmus Right I know they are trying there best, but being inconsistent like that doesn't make the site look good its as I said makes them look like they are targeting users rather then posts.

@NeonPizza So I had a Shypdar siting the other day. He posted on Time Extension which is NL's sister site dedicated to Retro stuff and yes they do cover 8 bit and 16 bit. Haven't seem him in ages and all of a sudden I saw a post by him.

My Backlog

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic