Forums

Topic: Ideas for the site

Posts 1,941 to 1,960 of 2,611

Kermit1doesmath

NeonPizza wrote:

It's all peanuts at the end of the day. Meanwhile in Ukraine....

I love Anti for who he is, I'd never want him to change. We are all talking about diddly squat at the end of the day, look at what's going on it's nothing really when you look at the big picture. Who knows where the world could be one day we are arguing about "what someone likes" the next we could be fighting side by side on the battlefield, hopefully it will never come to that though.

dysgraphia awareness human

Maxenmus

NeonPizza wrote:

Then again, was there more than just one post? Because that's the only one that I managed to find when i logged out.

I only saw the one post. If there were many others, I wasn't aware of it.

NeonPizza wrote:

I dont know if he still does it or not, but he had a tendency for getting pretty riled up and slamming videogames that had even the teeniest amount of violence, or just certain things that wouldn't fit the profile of a 4+ rated title.

It's either kid friendly or no dice in his books. Takes all types to make the world go around, so whatever. I just find it funny that somebody can't put down the games HE likes but he's totally ok doing the exact same thing to somebody else based on a title that doesn't fit his criteria.

I get how that can be annoying, and I get where you're coming from since I've been in similar disagreements with Anti before. But I think in this one instance, Anti wasn't doing anything wrong. And even if Anti did, the criticism against Anti was dismissing the opinions of people who like shovelware anyway, which is a bad take since I've liked not only shovelware games, but also other lesser known, less popular games myself. I just feel like dismissing people's passion like this, whatever the games they may be passionate about, is a slippery slope that leads to dismissing people who like games you dislike.

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

Switch Friend Code: SW-7926-2339-9775 | 3DS Friend Code: 3539-9678-8621 | My Nintendo: Flare | Nintendo Network ID: OriusPrime

Tasuki

@Maxenmus The problem is though alot of people on this site are just tired of Anti's b.s. and that where it stems from. He's a prime example of mods seeming to go after some users while letting others slide by. To be honest that guy should have been banned long ago for starting arguments and going against the grain. I remember about a year or so ago a bunch of users all pointed out the same thing that Anti was doing, inciting arguments with his posts, slamming other things people like etc. and the mod actually complained about the other users ganging up and going after Anti. I don't know if he personal knows someone on the Staff or what but someone clearly favorites him. Which to no surprise upsets other users. One reason I just ignore him and tell others to do the same.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

WoomyNNYes

People and mods tend to let Anti slide a bit because we know he's on the autism spectrum. Ever since I learned that, I've had a better understanding for why he has such a one-track-mind at times. I'm not saying that excuses him all the time. Sometimes he just needs a nudge of help, and I'll redirect him to something he and I both like. @Maxenmus @Kermit1 @NeonPizza I didn't know if you guys knew. Forgive me if you already knew. I know Tasuki knows (I'm pretty sure?).

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

Maxenmus

@Tasuki It is frustrating, especially if certain users go unpunished for disrespectful posts, thus polluting the site with an unchecked toxic atmosphere. I do agree that such a flaw in the system needs to be called out on.

However, our method of calling out those things matters a lot too. Two wrongs don't make one right. If we're allowed to call one person out on their BS in a public forum, upsetting everybody who witnesses such drama even though they're just there to have fun talking about games, then what's to stop everyone from calling out on each other and flooding the forum with threads titled "This person's opinion was wrong"? That's why vigilantism should remain a fantasy in comic books instead of people going out and beating up bad guys. There's a system, and it's not perfect, but the alternative would be chaos.

And I think in this case that I got involved in, there was collateral damage too. Imagine witnessing someone saying, "Seeing these trash game discussions flood the forum just puts me off" without any context at all - in a public forum, mind you - and you go, "Well, that's not a very nice thing to say," and you get attacked for making such an observation. We were both at fault for calling people out this way because, as you could see, it led to chaos and a potential flame war that was thankfully suppressed before it got too ugly.

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

Switch Friend Code: SW-7926-2339-9775 | 3DS Friend Code: 3539-9678-8621 | My Nintendo: Flare | Nintendo Network ID: OriusPrime

Maxenmus

@WoomyNNYes I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the information. I do think that the context of that information does help me be aware and be more understanding of his situation, and I think that the best solution for dealing with such a behavior, if you still have an issue with Anti's situation, is to just hit that 'Ignore' button.

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

Tasuki

@WoomyNNYes Yeah I knew and it's fine. Don't get me wrong, he's not a bad person or anything and I get it that he is different but, to let him slide and not others is just not a thing that mods shouldn't do. What is good for the Goose is good for the Gander. If the mods want to get rid of the problem they should get rid of the cause, not the result. Because if you don't get rid of the cause, you won't get rid of the result.

You can't get mad at other users just because the administration treats them different then someone else.

My Backlog

Maxenmus

@Tasuki I do agree though that a biased and more lenient treatment of an incapacitated person who broke the rules can become problematic in the long run. I'm not saying you should ban the person, but removing their posts helps curtail the problem too.

I know it's definitely not on the same level at all, and I'm not trying to compare mental illnesses at all, but I will apologize when I get out of line instead of saying, "My posts don't deserve to be removed because I have an anxiety disorder." I know my disorder has led me to write some very upsetting posts that were unacceptable, and my posts were rightly removed for it. But that's why fair treatment of everyone is important.

Again, I think the 'Ignore' button is the most helpful temporary solution instead of engaging them and causing all kinds of drama, something I need to learn to do more often. I've been trying to use the Ignore button more often now than posting my replies.

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

Eel

Anti-matter has been banned on multiple occasions.

I know moderation and the ignore function are touchy subjects for you Tasuki, however I can assure you there's nothing personal against you in particular.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Tasuki

@Eel I know it's nothing personal. I just kinda find it odd how something I was told not to do but so many others do. I guess a better term would be confused. I don't mind rules just be more consistent is all.

As for Anti, I accept him for who he is that's why honesty I ignore him. I just got tired of running around in circles with that guy. I just don't need that kind of negativity in my life.

My Backlog

Eel

@Tasuki if it's about the emulation thing, I think perhaps it's just something that has got more relaxed since you attempted to speak about it? In recent years, talking about emulation and console modding is a topic that has become more acceptable in the context of past-gen consoles (provided you don't give instructions on how to obtain illegal content).

I'm not sure when was the last time you tried to post about that... But I would recommend checking the Community Rules to find out more.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Tasuki

@Eel It's all water under the bridge, as I said it just confuses me. I tried looking for the thread but I think I deleted it after it was locked. Basically I just said that I was playing various SNES and NES games on my PC via magical means and then I proceeded to talk about the games. A few hours later I get and email from TheBlackDragon if you remember them saying that according to the rules emulation is not allowed and that this is a warning and if it happens again I can be banned from the site. So I just never really brought up emulation again after that.

I just find it odd that talking about emulating games on say a PC is against the rules but talking about modding Wiis to emulate is ok. Maybe because I was talking about emulating Nintendo games on a non Nintendo platform 🤷‍♂️ .

My Backlog

Kermit1doesmath

@Tasuki I modded my New 2DS XL and I'm very careful with what I say so I don't get flagged. I mean if we talk about modded Wii's why not modded 3DS's.

dysgraphia awareness human

blindsquirrel

@Tasuki
Just call it game preservation, that will throw the mods of your trail.

Currently playing: Pokemon Soul Silver, Mario RPG
Enos 1:15

Tasuki

@Kermit1 That's my point. I was told not to talk about emulation on my PC but talking about modding Wiis and 3DS for emulation is ok.

My Backlog

antdickens

Tasuki wrote:

I just find it odd that talking about emulating games on say a PC is against the rules but talking about modding Wiis to emulate is ok.

This is not true, it's perfectly fine to discuss that as long as it's not linking to ROMs etc. As @Eel said, you're talking about a mod from a decade ago at which time we didn't have as clear a set of rules. Things have moved on since then.

As for @Maxenmus and your original question (before frankly, this thread got totally derailed): threads that discuss "Unpopular opinions" in theory should be absolutely fine, and shouldn't break our rules. They are being upfront and accepting that the opinion laid out might not be the popular opinion. Many could say my belief that F-Zero X is the best F-Zero is an "unpopular opinion" but that doesn't mean it's breaking rules. It's all about context and how an opinion is put across, which is very different from trolling/baiting.

If you think someone is trying to start an argument on purpose; not by what they are saying, but more importantly, how, they are saying it, then please report it.

The best way to help us be consistent with modding is to leave a description with your report to make it clear why you think a rule is being broken, otherwise, we have to just guess and make our own judgement.

@antdickens
Nintendo Life | Push Square | Pure Xbox | Time Extension

Switch Friend Code: SW-7806-7257-0597 | My Nintendo: antdickens | Nintendo Network ID: anthonyd | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic