Forums

Topic: Metroid: Samus Returns

Posts 141 to 160 of 744

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
Both for 3DS.

Thank goodness for Switch. Wii U just wasn't bringing us the Metroid goods.

PLAYING
NS: Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak, Persona 5 Royal, Mario Rabbids Sparks of Hope
SD/PC:
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

Spoony_Tech

@Meowpheel I'm not so sure about that. Unless this has been a thing for more then 2 years Nintendo pretty much stopped developing Wii U games late last year. I don't think they started any new projects for the Wii U just a year ago today. I'm willing to bet Zelda was done by years end.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Eel

Well, just because they just announced it it doesn't mean the project is new.

In fact, it likely went through many many iterations before they decided to finally settle on whatever it will be.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

roy130390

Yeah, for the people thinking that they don't have enough development to have at least a teaser trailer: I really doubt it. I just think that they were aware that just with an announcement and the Return of Samus remake trailer, along with Mario Odyssey, the major pokemon game in development for Switch and all of the other games was enough to steal the E3. They are probably preparing the trailer for a Nintendo Direct or something else in the future simply to keep the hype strong and even get some more in te process. Normally, they invest a lot of time in Development with these games, so I expect them to be working on this at least since 2015.

It's the same with Samus Returns remake: as much as they can invest people and resources, the trailer is from a game that has been in development before AM2R was released, so they didn't start the project just because of the hype for that game.

Edited on by roy130390

Switch Friend Code: SW-3916-4876-1970

Henmii

I fear it won't sell that well. Because its a remake (that doesn't look that strong) made by Mercury steam (bad reputation) and on a old system. Only big Metroid fans like myself will buy it. Wich is a pity, since we desperately need a big new one with beautiful pixels!

But as I said, it looks a bit weak with those polygons they chose. Though I must say A Link between world also looked weak to me initially. But when I had it in my hands with the 3D turned on, it looked rather good. We'll see.

Henmii

Spoony_Tech

@Tsurii @Henmii Have you both played or even saw the 3d in Mirror of Fate? That castlevaina game had some of the best 3d I've ever seen on the system and I like my 3d bumped up all the way. That alone made MoF a stand out for me. While the exploration took a back seat the combat shined. I'm pretty sure the demo for MoF is still there on the shop and if you have questions about the 3d depth and quality that game can answer it for you.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

JaxonH

I think this game is actually going to do well. Metroid has a reputation now as a class A franchise, so not only will Metroid fans buy it, but quite a few younger fans who now have their curiosity piqued.

As for the developer, people keep saying they don't have a good track record, but a game takes on the vision of it's director/producer. A remake already has top-shelf source material. So they can't make a bad game here. Furthermore, alot of their ideas are probably golden, it's just really really hard to make a new game that's a masterpiece from scratch. Castlevania was still a pretty good game. Now that they're under Nintendo's supervision, they're gonna create a masterpiece, no question.

Just look at the game... It looks fantastic! Love the new melee counter and 2.5 action sequences. Nintendo couldn't have done better themselves. And why is that? A Nintendo is in charge B most teams that struggle to create from scratch end up shining when under the direction of the right lead. And with Nintendo at the helm, Mercury Steam is about to make a name for themselves.

Once this game releases, they won't be known as the studio that created the ok (But still quality) Mirror of Fate, they'll be known as the savior of Metroid who rocked it with the most awesome 2D Metroid to date. Just watch.

PLAYING
SD/PC:
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

DarthNocturnal

Next Level Games have a few 3rd party titles that are probably nothing to write home about. Meanwhile, their Nintendo-published games have all been received very well (bar one, which was probably a victim of circumstance). So I don't think the track record of the developer means everything.

Besides, remember everyone doubting Retro?

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0
Now Playing: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Xbox), DOOM II (Xbox), Dragon Quest VII (3DS), Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Switch)

AsianDomination

The game looks great and I hope it has surprises like zero mission had, I expect metroid 2 as an unlockable. The game looks like a decent challenge too, at least harder than zm.

AsianDomination

rockman_zero

had hopes for this game til i saw that mercurysteam worked on game good bye metroid u had a nice run til prime series other m federation force and now this game ruined u completely...looks like ill go play am2r since thats is better than mercurysteams version

Edited on by rockman_zero

rockman_zero

rockman_zero

@JaxonH if anyone should been doin samus returns it shoulda been wayforward

rockman_zero

JaxonH

@rockman_zero
Um, I like Wayforward, but they've had zero experience making a game like this (and that Mummy Demastered isnt proof they can handle Metroid, we don't even know if that game is good yet), and I wouldn't trust them with Metroid at all. Lots of talented developers out there, but they have certain games they specialize in. I actually heard people saying they wanted Platinum Games to be making Metroid... Platinum. Now look, they're terrific, but you might as well be handing it off to the Call of Duty team at that point. P* Games doesn't make games like this, cause they know what they're good at and what they're not.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
SD/PC:
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

MarcelRguez

@AsianDomination Metroid II won't be an unlockable in the game. I think it's been explicitely stated, even. On top of that, the European special edition included an eShop code for Metroid II. It wouldn't make any sense to include that code if the original version was included in the remake.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

JaxonH

@rockman_zero
had hopes for this game til i saw that mercurysteam worked on game good bye metroid u had a nice run til prime series other m federation force and now this game ruined u completely...looks like ill go play am2r since thats is better than mercurysteams version

And with all due respect, that's pretty ignorant. Mercury Steam is not a bad developer by any means. Idk where you got this idea from but they're actually respectable. More importantly, it's a remake. Even a bad developer can make a good remake. Moreover, the game development is being led by long time Metroid producer. And even more importantly, the game looks freaking fantastic. Beyond fantastic. The game looks epic!

If you can't look at this game and see it for what it is (perhaps the most incredible looking 2D Metroid ever conceived), I have to question whether you've actually ever played Metroid. Cause anyone who's played Metroid knows what a good Metroid game looks like, and this is most definitely it.

Again, no disrespect but it kinda needs to be said. Writing off an excellent looking game because it didn't have some star developer behind it... remakes don't need star developers. They just need good source material and veteran producer. All that said, the melee counter (which is probably the coolest addition to Metroid I've seen since the days of Prime) actually came from Mercury Steam, your so called "horrible developer". That horrible developer is responsible for one of the coolest additions to the series in 15 years.

And it also needs to be said that Samus Returns makes AM2R look like amateur hour. I'm beginning to wonder if you've actually seen this new game

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
SD/PC:
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

RR529

@JaxonH, on the topic of WayForward, the first few Shantae games are "Metroidvania" in structure (though they've been becoming more linear as of late). Also, I believe they did an Alien game on the DS in the style as well (which I remember Nintendo Power liking, though I haven't ever heard any one here talking about it in terms of their favorite/memorable DS games).

Not saying that they would have done better or worse than MercurySteam, but I think either or could do it.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

JaxonH

@rockman_zero
They did handle Castlvania, which was a pretty decent game. I played it. Not it's not gonna win any GotY awards, but neither is anything Wayforward does. It's extremely difficult creating a brand new game from scratch.

But if you're referring to Wayforward doing a remake, sure, as I said anyone can do a remake under the proper guidance. But I doubt it would've looked much different than it does because remakes have to remake the source material and there's only so many ways you can deviate from that. But honestly I can't imagine this game looking any better than it does- had any other developer made this game we wouldn't have seen that melee counter, which right off the bat would've made it not as good.

PLAYING
SD/PC:
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

Spoony_Tech

I always thought Image and Form could do a good job with Metroid. A solid 2d one though. The 2.5d one we are getting is beyond what I could've imagined. Really happy MercurySteam is doing this!

MERG said:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic