WayForward Bringing GBC Classic Xtreme Sports to 3DS Virtual Console

Posted by Jowi Meli

The studio's first-ever Game Boy Color game returns

WayForward has announced through a tweet that it will be bringing its first Game Boy Color title, Xtreme Sports, to the eShop on 7th August. The game, described as "crazy ambitious" by the studio's own Matt Bozon, has players competing against 200+ individual AI-controlled adversaries in a variety of different sporting challenges — skateboarding, surfing, and skyboarding all make appearances. In the game's Xtreme Island Adventure mode, characters Guppi and Fin even explore an island, collecting ability-boosting drinks and finding different events to compete in for coveted medals.

WayForward hasn't been specific about the regions that will be getting the game yet, but if the Australian Classification Board spotting of the game back in May is to be believed, both North America and Europe should get a shot at this retro title.

Are you interested in checking out WayForward's first foray into the world of Game Boy Color? Let us know if you'll be trying one of Shantae's GBC kindred in the comments below.

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

Awesome! I just picked this cart up a few days actually, but I might double dip just to have a manual :P So far from what I've played it is really, really fun. Control is a bit wonky and I keep forgetting how control the games....XD Love graphics, music is okay for what it is though it works. Definitely gives off a Xtreme late 90's early 00's vibe. I recommend it highly!

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint said:

I wish they'd bring more of their Game Boy Color games back, like Wendy: Every Witch Way and Sabrina (yeah, it's a long shot, I know).

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

I love GBC titles they are the best. GBC was my first handheld in 2002. :)

This will be great because there are alot GBC titles I missed out on. When I got my GBC back then they just launched the original GBA. :D Good memories. :)

Still hoping/praying they bring the rugrat gbc titles to virtual console on 3DS. :D

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

readyletsgo

readyletsgo said:

Awesome! Never played or even heard of this game but sounds good so it's a buy for me.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Played it only to submit screenshots of it to GameFAQs. Didn't like it.

2Sang

2Sang said:

Since this is wayforward, I might just pick it up, but only because they made it.

shredmeister

shredmeister said:

I know there are more than a few fans of WayForward on this website, like myself. But I find it odd that there is hardly any mention of their latest 3DS release anywhere on this website. Anyone pick up "Scooby Doo & Looney Tunes Cartoon Universe Adventure"? It came out last week.

Extremist

Extremist said:

@BearHunger Yeah, really weird how they try to give their products an attractive packaging. Almost like they WANT to sell their products! REALLY weird! ;)

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

@shredmeister

I bought Looney Tunes & Scooby Doo - 3DS! Love it! There's a thread for it in 3DS forum on nintendolife. Thread name: Looney Tunes & Scooby Doo Cartoon Universe Adventure - 3DS! :D

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

Pod

Pod said:

@BearHunger

To be fair, I think Matt drew all the box art himself back then. Not only has he improved a lot, but they also employ other artists now, so I could see why they'd redraw it. It's interesting that they just improve the same composition with the same characters on display.