Play & Win: Join The Grid for The UK Mario Kart 8 Tournament Rematch on Thursday

Posted by Nintendo Life Staff

Another £120 eShop credit up for grabs

Just this past weekend we hosted a special UK Mario Kart 8 tournament in which eShop funds were up for grabs over the course of a 6 hour competition. In the end our planned three prizes — totalling £120 of credit — were split between three racers that hit the maximum score; that's quite an achievement whether in a room with others or battling a mix of real-world opponents and Hard CPU bots.

Our three winners are pictured below — their prizes are on the way soon.

Due to that tie, the Official Nintendo UK Online Store wants a rematch to try and find a runaway leader — it happens soon, on 31st July, and we're tweaking the rules.

What:

Once again, this is for UK readers. The top three qualifying players will receive a prize in the form of eShop credit kindly provided by the Official Nintendo UK Online Store.

• 1st Place: £60 eShop credit
  • 2nd Place: £40 eShop credit
  • 3rd Place: £20 eShop credit

When:

The Tournament will take place this coming Thursday, 31st July 2014 between 5pm-9pm (UK). You can join the tournament at any time between 5pm and 9pm to complete your 16 races, up four from last time.

How to Enter:

Within the Mario Kart 8 Online menu select ‘Tournaments’ and ‘Enter Code’: 8439-5767-5951 — it's called NLife UK GP Rematch.

Once the tournament has been registered with your console you will be able to start racing once the tournament beings on Thursday 31st July at 5pm. You can join the tournament at any time before the closing time of 9pm.

Rules:

The tournament will have the following rules.

• Code-only
  • 150cc
  • All items
  • All control methods
  • Hard CPU
  • 16 races
  • Group swapping every four races

You must compete using a UK Wii U and therefore have a ‘GB’ flag after your name in the final rankings to claim a prize. The top three racers who qualify for a prize should contact us via email (mk8@nintendolife.com) and include a photo of their GamePad/TV with their NNID in clear view.

If you're sharing a Wii U and want multiple players to compete and be eligible, you'll need to take turns — in single player online — in each Nintendo Network ID login. In other words, once a player has completed the tournament in their Wii U account you'll need to quit the game, switch to the second Nintendo Network ID and go through the Tournament again. Playing in two player-splitscreen online will only allow the main player — the Nintendo Network ID holder — to be eligible for the prizes.

Members of the Nintendo Life team are not eligible for prizes. All decisions by Nintendo Life are final. If you have any further questions please contact us.

Good luck.

Wait, what? you don’t have Mario Kart 8? Don't forget that the Official Nintendo UK Online Store offers a 30% discount on a Pro Controller when you buy the game.

Mario Kart 8 Tournament Alerts

Enter your details below and we'll email you whenever we run a Mario Kart 8 Tournament.

[via store.nintendo.co.uk]

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

I would really like to know what's different, aside from the 12 now 16 races? Can people still just leave and race CPUs?

antdickensAdmin

antdickens said:

@PvtOttobot we've reduced the time from 6 hours to 4 hours, which should force some more groups rather than any standalone CPU play. We can't police that :(

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

@antdickens I know this hard to control but honestly the only way I can see cheating stopped is getting rid of cpu's and having a tournament that lasts like 1 or 2 hours to keep numbers more concentrated and less spread out, just a suggestion.

antdickensAdmin

antdickens said:

@Jazzer94 I don't think that would work... you could then get races with only 3-4 people and earn more points. Need to at least ensure 12 racers. Hard CPU isn't exactly easy to win!

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

@antdickens I'd like to just say I got 171 points in the last tournament and none of my three second place finishes came from empty matches which were caused by people leaving the lobby en mass, I played in an empty lobby apart from one person in one race and on three occasions racing with 3 other players, if I had lobby hoped like a lot of people I'm 99% certain I could of got 180 points. What I'm trying to say (rather badly) is that for a bunch of players the cpu even on hard is a cake walk once you've learned all the tracks.
Anyway I hope this tournament runs smoother and hopefully people will just play honorably this time.

Sakura

Sakura said:

I'm so bad at MK. May still have a go anyway. All the good racers need someone to beat.

rubberducky

rubberducky said:

"markybbop commented on Play & Win: UK Mario Kart 8 Tournament - Live!:
I dont think I will enter again, its a waste of time with the communication errors
Sat 26th Jul 2014"

nope, no excuses needed at all :P

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

@markybbop I see no excuses being given tbh I was just suggesting ways for the tournament to be played properly as playing in half filled rooms was rather boring.

ICHIkatakuri

ICHIkatakuri said:

Ooooo scandal, I didn't know that last one went off with such controversy. It's good you guys have managed to organise another though I'm sure cheating will occur wherever competition does. I know a lad that cheats at warhammer against his friends on friendly match nights, some people just want to kudos so much they don't care how it's achieved. Very sad :-(

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

@ICHIkatakuri Well there is one way for cheaters to be stopped in this type of MK8 tournament, namely making the length 1 hour 30 minutes (16 races takes about an hour). The downside of this though is that less people would be able to join it.

ICHIkatakuri

ICHIkatakuri said:

@Grumblevolcano it's sad that there is always someone trying to take advantage and not actually willing to get credit for being actually decent at something. I used to enjoy playing cod on the 360 until it got really easy to find hacked lobbies and you could even get your account banned for accidentally finding one.

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

@ICHIkatakuri Yeah and I'm sure the thought of getting Smash Wii U for free drives the cheating tactics for those people in the case of these tournaments. As for CoD, I know where you're coming from too as I actually did like CoD4 until it was completely overrun by hackers.

hopfolla

hopfolla said:

I don't like the switching every four races to be constantly chucked into an empty lobby. Why can we not have a tournament with no switching?