Japanese 3DS Owners Can Enter Sega's Fantasy Zone Again Next Week

Posted by Damien McFerran

Another Sega 3D Classic inbound

We may not have been blessed with 3D Fantasy Zone here in the west yet, but lucky Japanese players will be able to get their hands on the sequel when it launches on the 3DS eShop next week.

3D Fantasy Zone II will be released on July 16th for 762 yen, including tax. The package includes the arcade version, the Master System / Mark III original which inspired it and a special score attack mode called Link Loop Land, which gives you an endless loop to see how many points you can gain before dying. Auto-stereoscopic visuals will also be included, as well as the usual selection of options that developer M2 is so fond of including in its titles.

Sega has posted the following trailer for the game on the official site for the game, but it's the 3D version — which explains the strange dual-picture.

[via archives.sega.jp]

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I can't wait for the next batch to hit the west, Outrun and After Burner in particular. I wish they'd give us a timeframe.

Ootfan98

Ootfan98 said:

I hope the Sega classics continue, I would buy them twice if it would help bring more releases. Hopefully next will be MD Sonic 2, Streets of Rage 2, Gunstar Heroes, followed with Arcade Power Drift, Turbo Outrun, Virtua series, Daytona, Sega Rally

Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh said:

I have the Master System version on Wii, but the arcade version is so much better it looks like a totally different game,

Noboty

Noboty said:

Everyone putting games in the eshop can (and must) learn from SEGA, who actually put forth effort to bring the games into the 21st century.

Dooyoo

Dooyoo said:

I would buy every Sega 3d classic game that came out if they would just release more. If they released a hundred of these, I would probably buy 99 of them. Just because the 3d effect isn't "cool" or "new" anymore doesn't mean I love it any less. I wish these games would get more love. I love the Sega classics, and I love the 3d.

Angelic_Lapras_King

Angelic_Lapras_King said:

@Tsuchinoko Hopefully then this is the start of them adding more updates. Christ sake, the Wii U has had its share of PC Engine games, could of brought those over the 3DS too since it game PC Engine games too...

bofis

bofis said:

Now when will we get this, After Burner 2, and OutRun in the US???

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I think this is the System 16 version M2 did before. (The original is a System E game)

Reading the Google Translate of http://archives.sega.jp/3d/fz2/

Mentions nothing about the Master System original only the score attack mode and something to do with remake.

kupocake

kupocake said:

Love the Fantasy Zone series (if you have Animal Crossing, look up "Plaleaf" in the dream suite sometime) and would buy this on release day without a second thought.

xj0462

xj0462 said:

goddamit sega!! when are you going to release these in america!? i want after burner on MY 3DS!!!

Kirk

Kirk said:

Lol

I can actually watch this in 3D on my iPhone if I just focused past the screen slightly to cause the two images to overlap.

Pretty neat.

joey302

joey302 said:

Oh the good old days gaming out on my master system! SEGA when are you bringing these to North America?? Also and more importantly when the hell are you jumping on the wii u eshop??? You're sitting on a pile of classics and missing out on a ton of $$$$ I think!! Lord knows the slow vc service needs the boost! Cmon!!! Wtf?!?!? I don't get it at all!!

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

Guys, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the last Sega 3D Classic release we had was released over a year after the Japanese releases.

We aren't getting these for a LONG time.

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

At one time wasn't 'Golden Axe' being worked on for 3D release?
I have a soft spot for it. Though, I'd rather have the arcade version despite its length... just looks better. Fantastic end credits, too.
I wonder how the first wave sold here in the US... it was just so amazingly well-done. The fact that the same company has been doing the GBA VC titles shows with how well they run and how they have the instruction manual scans in them. Why can't Nintendo do this for its own in-house releases?