Ubisoft Has Dispatched 73 Million Assassin's Creed Games Since 2007

Posted by Damien McFerran

Just Dance franchise has shifted an impressive 48 million, too

Ubisoft is a company with plenty of history behind it — it was founded way back in 1986 — but surprisingly its most popular franchises have only come recently.

The French publisher has recently revealed sales figures for its key titles, with Assassin's Creed topping the list at an incredible 73 million — an amazing achievement when you consider that it only began in 2007. The series has spanned a wide range of formats, with recent entries Assassin's Creed III and Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag hitting the Wii U.

The Just Dance franchise is in second place with a cool 48 million units retailed — the majority of which will surely have been sold on the Nintendo Wii.

Further down the list, Tom Clancy's titles have sold 81 million copies over three different franchises, and the Rayman series has achieved lifetime sales of 25 million.

Here's the full list:

• Driver: 19 million
  • Far Cry: 18 million
  • Rayman Raving Rabbids: 14 million
  • The Settlers: 10 million
  • The Experience: 9 million
  • Anno: 5 million

Do any of those figures surprise you? Were you expecting veteran franchises like Prince of Persia and Far Cry to rank higher? Let us know by posting a comment below.

[via gamesindustry.biz]

Peach64

Peach64 said:

Incredible figures, and demonstrates why they're not bothered about 'angering' the Wii U fan base. Nintendo fans contribute a practically meaningless percentage of sales in their core gamer titles, while the millions that buy Just Dance on Wii aren't checking sites like this, so won't be put off by Ubisoft delaying Wii U versions of Watch Dogs for example.

I'm a bit surprised by the Driver series sales figures, as while the first two were big deals, it's been in GTA's shadow for almost 15 years now.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Many of those numbers are chosen I think to be deliberately misleading. Ubisoft has everything available for 1/4 of RRP (Console or PC versions) within less than 3 months most of the time.

If they wanted to give an accurate picture they wouldn't have grouped it like that. (Even something like Just Dance someone paying £7 shouldn't count the same as buying the newest at full price).

MJKOP

MJKOP said:

The Experience at nine million, pretty good that only began with Michael Jackson when he passed, 2009, unless I'm mistaken? I of course contributed to it's sales lol

outburst

outburst said:

The Prince of Persia is my favorite among the list. I've never touched the Assassin's Creed franchise although the first Assassin's Creed game was originally developed to be a Prince of Persia game.

withoutdk

withoutdk said:

The Settlers... i love it :) but i also enjoy my AC black flag buccaneer edition that i got for 20£ :D

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

I am surprised that Just Dance hasn't sold more than Assassin's Creed since it has a broader appeal. Nintendo could probably learn a lesson from this... "Blue Ocean" strategy is successful but doesn't necessarily trump appealing to core gamers.

Than64

Than64 said:

I have recently began obsessing like an idiot over the Assassin's Creed games. I watched my brother play them for years and they didn't appeal. Only in playing for myself did I begin to appreciate them.

audiobrainiac

audiobrainiac said:

Dang i still need to get Black Flag, Rayman Legends, and Blacklist. Wish they'd release Prince of Persia Sands of Time HD for Wii U. I used to love playing that game.

antipop621

antipop621 said:

Ubisoft will dispatch 73 million Assassin's Creed sequels. Making it hard for me to keep up with the series

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

Rayman sales are a big shocking to me. That franchise it's been out for almost 20 years. I was expecting higher sales than that

anders190

anders190 said:

@arkady77
I for one actually think that the Far Cry-series just have gotten better since Ubisoft took over. Far Cry 3 and Blood Dragon being the best ones. Far Cry 2 and the portrayal of the horrors happening in parts of Africa (and probably being the only game that has done it) deserves a mention too. The first Far Cry was unbelievable beautiful ten years ago but hasn't aged too well IMHO.

Also, I think that the first Far Cry fit better with the Crysis-series than Far Cry. Considering the contents and themes of the series.

@Dark-Link73
Most Rayman-games haven't been exactly good. Rayman Origins and Legends being the better of them obviously. :)

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

Is sad for me that ubisoft is never going to touch these franchises again expect assassins creed and just dance. Still waiting for brothers in arms furious 4 ubisoft or the sequel to beyond good evil that you promised a long time ago.

luke88

luke88 said:

I try to like assassin's creed, bought 3 and 4 for wii u, but I just find it boring. Sailing was pretty fun but god those modern world sections: surely one of the worst ideas of all time. Did anyone enjoy those sections?