Video: This Steel Empire Footage Makes Us Jealous of Those With a Japanese 3DS

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Gosh...

Our past coverage of Steel Empire, a 3DS conversion of the cult Mega Drive / Genesis shooter, may have betrayed the fact that some of the Nintendo Life team have fond — and increasingly distant — memories of Sega's 16-bit machine. More importantly, however, this shooter was loved by those who played it because it's rather good, so the thought of playing it in lovely autostereoscopic 3D any time we so please is rather delicious.

Unfortunately it's one of those "confirmed for Japan" games with no promise of localisation as yet, with envy likely to get out of control once it arrives in 3DS' homeland on 19th March, albeit at a juicy price that converts to not far off $30USD. Nevertheless it looks appealing, and the latest trailer will do little to dissuade enthusiasts that want to see this game in the West.

Check it out below and let us know what you think.

[via nintendoeverything.com]

tchaten

tchaten said:

That looks great! Can't wait to pick this up on day one on my Japanese system :)

GuSolarFlare

GuSolarFlare said:

Japan needs to stop being so closed and share their good exclusive games with the rest of the world!
@rjejr more 3DS FTW :p

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I don't remember it being that good. (It is no Thunderforce III/IV/M.U.S.H.A). Is it an improved game in terms of mechanics or just better graphics. (That said I will probably end up getting it if I can.)

Sort of game I think if it does come out I should support day one. (Like Kokuga was). Although there is another part of me that dislikes remakes at full price. (Especially when I have played it before and was not that bothered about it).

rjejr

rjejr said:

@GuSilverFlame - I think they finally ran that refurb article just to shut me up :-)

Buy a used Wii U - get Nintendo Land for free ;-) It is a petty good deal though.

MuchoMochi

MuchoMochi said:

Gahhh I want this game!! Damn Japanese people keeping a closed iron fist around their exclusive titles :(

FritzFrapp

FritzFrapp said:

Looks like a very good new version. Smooth, and with the UI moved to the bottom screen it should play better. Starfish have stated they're rebalancing the game, so I shall be looking forward to a Western release of this one, if only on eShop.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Frapp One thing it doesn't need is to be made loads easier. (It is pretty short as it is. If they have added lots of extra levels that is totally different).

xj0462

xj0462 said:

i plaled the genesis version once. i though it was good, hope this comes to america soon

Uberchu

Uberchu said:

nty not my cupa tee. Already got a game similar to it on my Mii Plaza and I avoid it a lot unlike my other 3 paid games...

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

I would've been fine with a release of the original on the Wii U VC for the time being.
As awesome as this looks, i'm not sure if i could justify spending 30€ for a game without a box.

Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs said:

They are cray cray if they don't bring this west! Minimal text, shooting... more shooting. There just no reason this wouldn't give them more money.

Falchion

Falchion said:

I would probably buy this if it came to NA. O well i will find something else to play.

Mommar

Mommar said:

I'd pay $30 for this. This is the kind of game I think all handhelds need. I used to love to play games like this when I was a kid and I pine for them still today.

chiptoon

chiptoon said:

looks a LOT faster than I remember it. Although that may be a PAL issue.

Either way it can only be a good thing

Depeche

Depeche said:

Please share with America, all this is doing is making me pull out my PSP-dusting it off and placing a capcom/neo geo collection disc in....plenty of shooters found there.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

@unrandomsam Yes, i do. The cartridge means as good as nothing to me since so far i didn't ever trade a game.
Personally i'd love if they came in boxes with the download code included instead of the cart. Full flexibility and still a nice little box to look at. I couldn't ask for more.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@LeasTwanteD Personally I normally give my games away if I don't like them or have stopped playing them - to my nephew. (That is why the cart is an advantage). Lots of boxes lying around just reminds me that I have something that is being wasted that somebody who is not me could get some use out of.

GreatPlayer

GreatPlayer said:

Do Nintendo fans care about non-Nintendo games on their platform? Look at the number of replies to this post vis-à-vis other posts.