EnjoyUp Confirms Abyss for the Wii U eShop

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

HD depth

Way back in April last year EnjoyUp Games showed Abyss running on the Wii U, leading to thoughts of a sequel or HD remake of the well-regarded DSiWare title. The latter has now been confirmed, with the studio confirming to us that it's aiming for a release in April or May, while there'll be a budget price — $1.99 in North America, for example.

The storyline remains the same — you're piloting the Nep2no underwater in 3024 to gather 'Gaia' energy stones. The press release does outline some new features for this Wii U version, however.

• 12 Original missions plus 8 in Dark mode.
  • Competitive two-player mode.
  • New Graphic Effects and remixed Music.
  • Off-TV Mode.

We rated this fairly highly on DSiWare in 2012, despite accusing it of a lack of depth (geddit?); we awarded 7/10 in our review. With new features and a budget price point this may be one worth watching for the Wii U eShop — are you planning to dive in?

Emblem

Emblem said:

Never played the original so I'll wait for a review but the price point is nice.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

I was always interested in the DSiWare release but never got around to actually play it.
I might even get both versions when / if this comes to Europe since the game really seems to profit from the new graphics.

Lebon14

Lebon14 said:

The WiiU may be lacking support from the big third party publishers but, god, it has an amazing indie support.

Starzsixty9

Starzsixty9 said:

Meh I downloaded it when it came out as dsiware and I think I've played it twice.. its not a bad game for short bursts of play but I tend to prefer games with more meat on their bones. The same reason I tend to stray from casual mobile games

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

It is indeed a good idea to rerelease these games in HD. I never checked out the original one, but I am willing to give it a chance.

Now how about Frontier rereleasing the LostWinds games?

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

Absolutely one of my favorite little gems on DSiware. Really looking forward to the Wii U version!

Frapp

Frapp said:

Very interesting. WIll keep an eye on this one, as I never got around to buying the original.
Nice to see games like this given a second chance. Wonder if Nintendo and Skip Ltd are planning on any more Bit Generations/Art Style titles for either Wii U or 3DS eShop? Hope so.

MrV4ltor

MrV4ltor said:

2$ seems like a great price point! I'll buy it as soon as it hits the european eshop.

JarredBuzzo

JarredBuzzo said:

I didn't think this would come to Wii U, but then again, it's an Indie game. Indies are pretty much the opposite of "AAA" games, you can almost expect them to come to Wii U, unlike the latter.

kurtasbestos

kurtasbestos said:

I hope one of the new features is that it doesn't include that horrible over-chatty Euro-guy voice that ruins the otherwise great atmosphere and that EnjoyUp Games seems to feel belongs in all of their games.