UK Store GAME Now Selling Original Wii Consoles For Just £35

Posted by Damien McFerran

Even less reason to consider picking up a Wii Mini, then

As part of its summer hardware and software sale, UK video game retailer GAME is now selling Wii consoles for just £35 (around $50 / €40).

That's a considerable saving on the recently-released Wii Mini, which lacks internet connectivity, doesn't have an SD card slot and won't run on anything but a composite AV connection. The Wii Mini currently retails for around £80 in the UK.

The catch? The deal applies to pre-owned consoles and is only available in-store, but it's still something of a bargain. You can essentially pick up a system for less than the price of a Wii U game, and enjoy such classics as Super Mario Galaxy 2, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword and the still-amazing Wii Sports.

If you don't already own a Wii, will this deal convince you to finally pick one up?

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

Or, even better. Get a console with a wii remote plus and you're getting a remote an nunchuk for your wii u for less than the price of a wii remote plus and a nunchuk AND you're getting a console out of it to game on wii and GameCube and watch lovefilm ad netflix in another room.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

Picked one up for this price in Game 18 months ago!

The best deal now is £20 in Grainger games.

rjejr

rjejr said:

My kids are playing Starfox Adventures on the Wii right now. Can't do that on a Mini. They wanted to play it after the 200 coin Starfox 64 left them wanting.

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

The original, Game Cube retro-compatible model Wii is even today one fine piece of hardware. Don't even get me started on it's homebrew capabilities.

NFreak007

NFreak007 said:

Come to think of it, I haven't seen the Wii Mini in any shops at all! Has anyone seen one in the wild?

Mahe

Mahe said:

Now's the time to get a spare one! Also, what @DESS-M-8 said. You can never have too many Wiimotes and Nunchuks.

Banker-Style

Banker-Style said:

The only place I've actually seen a Wii Mini isn't in a Curry's/Pc World store,where Paper Mario came free with it.

thesilverbrick

thesilverbrick said:

It was only a matter of time, especially considering the backwards compatibility of the Wii U. I remember GameCubes going for 30 dollars after the Wii came out. I'm still holding onto my Wii, though, since I'm a collector, plus it's the best way to play GameCube games in progressive scan mode (the official GameCube cables for that are incredibly rare and expensive now).

heathenmagic

heathenmagic said:

Still playing my Wii, got Xenoblade and Last Story in wrappers urging me to play them haha. This is a great price for a used Wii. My favourite and most used console so far.

Chris720

Chris720 said:

@NFreak007 Nope, I've only seen them on online retailers.

Why would anyone want to buy a Wii now? Everyone and their grandmother owns one of these.

Shambo

Shambo said:

@NFreak007 Here in Belgium they aren't very rare right now, most stores that sell games have one or two available.

But I think it will be something like the GB Micro. Once sold out, ebay prices will probably sky rocket, then drop to around the new-price.

I bought one just to put in my collection, and I like the design and love the red remote+ and nunchuck. Which I use with my Wii U.

Superstick

Superstick said:

If I had never already owned a Wii then maybe I would have got this. And plus white is better than black. :P

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@unrandomsam
It actually not so cut n' dry. Certain models had the PS2 hardware built in, where as the rest of the backwards compatible models used software emulation.

I've though about picking up a spare Wii just because the bundles can be found for not much more than the controllers and a game these days if not cheaper. Its still a pretty nice piece of hardware.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

@NFreak007 When I was in Berlin I saw quite considerable numbers in the large electronics stores (no idea if any were sold). But in the UK interest from what I can gather all but dead in the Wii Mini from both retailers and consumers (NOE really should have released a lot more Nintendo Selects game to go with the launch, as it stands it is a relaunch of a year dead system).

hydeks

hydeks said:

I own a Wii Mini and I love it, but I do agree it is almost more of a novelty item than anything. With prices like that, I can see people getting a used Wii instead. I own a Wii U, so I have no real need for the old Wii just for the online features and such.

yojo

yojo said:

@MrSRArter I'm guessing after this holiday season. Pandora's Tower was really the only wii game that came out this year, and with the Wii U being pretty cheap compared to other next gen systems and fully backwards compatible, there is no reason for them to keep supporting it.