Soul Saga: Episode I Officially Heading To Wii U

Posted by Andy Green

Kickstarter project smashes through that $80,000 stretch goal

Soul Saga: Episode I will officially be coming to Wii U after the one man development studio Disastercake reached the $80,000 stretch goal on Kickstarter.

Originally, the stretch funding level to bring a Wii U version stood at $105,000 but Mike Gale, the man behind the beautiful looking game, reduced it as he really wanted to see Soul Saga on Wii U.

Set in the floating city of Medonia, Soul Saga: Episode I is described as a "love letter to J-RPG classics from the Playstation era like Final Fantasy, Breath of Fire, Suikoden, and Persona". It stars a young man called Mithos who's on a quest to become the greatest Guild Master in the entire world.

The game features gorgeous 2D and 3D anime-style characters to really give it that J-RPG feel and the combat mode uses a turn-based system fans of Final Fantasy X will be more than familiar with.

As you may have noticed this is episode one of the series and there is more in the pipeline. Disastercake chose to implement this distrubution method so players can flow through the story at a steady pace, rather than having to wait years between games.

We caught up with Mike Gale in a recent interview where he told us all about his plans for Soul Saga on Wii U, including how the GamePad will be integrated.

The crowdfunding campaign is still going and has 15 days left to run. There are plenty of additional stretch goals to accomplish yet and considering the popularity of this one, we wouldn't be surprised if it hit them all. If you fancy picking up a Wii U code there's a special pledge tier so backers can now have one for a minimum of $15 instead of having to pledge for the PC, Linux or Mac versions.

What are your thoughts on Soul Saga: Episode I? Will you be downloading it from the eShop? Let us know in the comment section below.

[via kickstarter.com]

Nintex

Nintex said:

Looks like some serious fun. I'll be waiting with debit card in hand come release day

daznsaz

daznsaz said:

thats good news,ive been playing dragon quest on 3ds cos ive played just about everything on wiiu.so i will lap this up to get my fix:)

daznsaz

daznsaz said:

ive actually bought a book on programmming games so i can make my own rpg.more games we can get the merrier

T1m1

T1m1 said:

yeah, its definitely something i'll buy when its out the eshop

hydeks

hydeks said:

sweet, and yes I want it :) They should have said SNES/PSOne era, but wharever :P

TooManyToasters

TooManyToasters said:

As an official supporter of this game ($10 funded) I say this is more awesome than awesome. It will most certainly help the Wii U drought and also looks beyond impressive for a game of this caliber.

JaredJ

JaredJ said:

I can't wait for all these Kickstarter funded games to start hitting the eshop!

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

How is he going to approach funding the next episodes considering the 1st isn't out for another year yet?If he wants players to be able to flow through the game at a steady pace rather than wait years then he would have to start another Kickstarter before this 1 is even released.I can't see that approach working out.Or maybe he's waiting to see if the 1st 1 is successful enough that fans will be happy to back another episode but then it will hardly be a steady flow.He should really have just made it a full title rather than take the episodic approach imo.

Yoshis_VGM

Yoshis_VGM said:

I'm so glad Nintendo is getting all of these indie developers on board with the Wii U. It feels weird though, reading all these things about Indie developers praising the Wii U and how easy it is to develop on it. I'm just so used to hearing the 3rd parties turning their backs on it.

Trikeboy

Trikeboy said:

The games coming out on Wii U from indie companies look so much better than the generic crap that is coming from the pro companies. Wii U has it's following at last.

Alucard83

Alucard83 said:

Pitty the most scenes are in 2d and the battles in 3d. I don't like that. I want a good looking 2d RPG on highest resolution. Till now haven't really seen one. I prefer 2d over 3d any time. Not sold

Metaknight_3Raw

Metaknight_3Raw said:

Backed. Looks amazing, FFX was my favorite and first FF. Also I asked about a 3DS version but he said Unity Game Engine doesn't support the 3DS yet but he wishes he could bring it there. It looks perfect for the 3DS though, would be great in 3D :D

AzureShadow

AzureShadow said:

Backed this one and I like how it keeps going and going, I'm hoping we get the job board stuff and all. Even if we don't at least we got the airship battles and such. Overall definitely looking forward to this one :D

[edit]

That's guild hall not job board wrong thing :p.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Wow, this guy really turned the tables in these few days! When I first saw the video, it looked too dull, but he really got his stuff together! Gonna back this!