Capcom Reveals More on Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies

Posted by Tim Latshaw

Edgeworth ranks up, Maya remains a secret

Capcom recently divulged more details on Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies in a Q&A session hosted on TwitchTV, placing more on the title’s characters and settings into the court record.

According to the video, Dual Destinies will be set a year after Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney. The theme is “the dark age of the law,” beginning with a courtroom bombing, but the overall tone of the game is still expected to be similar to that of the rest of the series.

There have been a few changes to the characters over the past year. Miles Edgeworth now serves as chief prosecutor of the legal system. Phoenix himself has donned a new suit after an eight year hiatus from the courtroom, which is intended to make him look more mature. Both Phoenix and Apollo will have their own court battles.

Psychology seems to play a significant role this time around. Simon Blackwell, the new prosecutor who is also serving a murder sentence, is said to be an “intimidating” character who uses psychological manipulation to influence the proceedings. Phoenix’s new assistant, Athena Cykes, has studied analytical psychology.

“Lips are sealed” regarding Maya Fey. One of the game’s trailers does show a glimpse of Pearl Fey, though (look around 2:55), so odds seem pretty good that Maya will also show up somewhere.

Dual Destinies will feature fully animated cutscenes with English voice acting. It is said to contain about as much content as Trials and Tribulations and should take the average player 25-30 hours to complete.

No specific release date was announced during the Q&A. The game is still slated for an eShop release in the West this fall.

What are you expecting or hoping for most in Dual Destinies? Let us know below.

[via siliconera.com]

SpriteKing

SpriteKing said:

Holy crap, 25-30 HOURS?
As if I wasn't excited already. A day 1 purchase for me, no question.

Captain_Balko

Captain_Balko said:

Man, I missed all of the other Phoenix Wright games, but I would really like to try them as I'm extremely interested in law and I think that I'd enjoy them. Any chance of Capcom releasing a Phoenix Wright collection on the eShop or something?

Algus

Algus said:

I'm still made we didn't get Edgie's second game but this is a day 1 purchase for sure. Best series ever.

ueI

ueI said:

This takes place 8 years after Trials and Tribulations? Phoenix doesn't look like he's aged a day.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

As much as I want to play this game I still refuse to buy it till they offer an physical copy in NA.

Crazybrain1

Crazybrain1 said:

@Captain_Balko They released the first three games in a collection on the iPad, I believe. You get the first two cases of the first game for free, and everything else you have to pay for.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

@pariah164: Their lost than. I would rather my money go to companies that support both kinds of media rather than force one type on you.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

The first three games are available on WiiWare if anyone hasn't played them. Ignore NintendoLife's 5/10 score - they were just bitter about it being a port and not a remake. The graphics are fine and you don't ever have to use the motion controls.

Yasume

Yasume said:

@Tasuki It's not going to influence the sales much if you and maybe 30 other human beings aren't going to buy it. So I'd say it's your loss xD
Watch it — TBD

Any word on Gumshoe, btw?

Objection

Objection said:

Just as long as half of that length doesn't seem to come from the last case. I'm looking at you AAI!

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

@Yasume: Not really if I wanted to play it bad enough I am sure that I could find away to play it without supporting Capcom's decision and giving them my money.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@Tasuki: That's enough. It's one thing to refuse to purchase it, but it's another to start poisoning the article-based wells over it, especially going down that route. Let those who are interested have their fun, please. :3

Captain_Balko

Captain_Balko said:

@Crazybrain1 Blech, iPad... Not my cup of tea. Oh well. Maybe one day they'll release them on the 3DS eShop, or, hey, maybe even Wii U (since the Gamepad is similar to a Tablet).