Power Rangers Megaforce Fighting Its Way Onto 3DS

Posted by Andy Green

It's morphin' time!

Can you believe Power Rangers is 20 years old? Well it is, and as part of the anniversary celebrations there's a new show on Nickelodeon called Power Rangers Megaforce, which is now being morphed into a video game for the 3DS.

Namco Bandai has revealed Power Rangers Megaforce will be available in North and Latin America this fall.

It's been described as a side-scrolling, action game and allows you to take control of your favourite Rangers in the battle against the evil Warstar aliens. While you're playing, your other Ranger chums will appear to either give you a helping hand or to offer advice and with the tougher enemies you can even combine to form one of the many legendary Megazords.

Power Rangers Megaforce will use several features of the 3DS including the camera, which can be used to scan official Morpher Cards to power up within the game. Players can also take a picture of themselves and watch as the photo actively morphs into their favourite Megaforce Ranger, allowing them to take the fight to enemies with a more personal touch.

Are you a fan of the series? Does this come as welcome news? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.

[via capsulecomputers.com.au]

luminalace

luminalace said:

OMG I've been waiting for this...NOT. Power Rangers was lame 20 years ago and it's the same now.

jpfan1989

jpfan1989 said:

What the heck is the theme this time? ..... Notices that red and pink share the same symbols, likewise black and yellow share a symbol ware as blue as a unique sybole all to him self ...hmmm just an observation

scottsensei

scottsensei said:

@jpfan1989:

Well the original Japanese version was a team of angels (don't think too hard on this) from different tribes based on air, water, and earth, that exhibited some absolutely fantastic racism towards each other which kept them from being a proper team.

Oh, and they power up using marketable trading cards.

Angels and trading cards.

It sounds as bad as you might think.

GuardianKing

GuardianKing said:

Saban's recent efforts at making Power Rangers "hip" again makes me wish Disney never sold the series... They at least focused on making a good show! Heck, my favorite series are still Dino Thunder, SPD, and RPM: all made by Disney.

McGruber

McGruber said:

I'm too old to enjoy the series but hey its a new game on 3DS so that's always good (and increasingly rare). I would def buy any of the 90s games if they somehow made it to virtual console.

BenjaMAX

BenjaMAX said:

even I'm surprised that I'm going to say this but that SNES game wad actually really good!

shinobi88

shinobi88 said:

Whenever I hear "side-scrolling action game" I get a little bit excited. Why? Because I grew up during the 16-bit Genesis/SNES days when the best devs in the world were building amazing side-scrolling action games like Revenge of Shinobi, Vectorman, and Turtles in Time.

BUT, and this is a 'but' the size of Queen Latifah's, I am xtremely hesitant to get excited about ANY side-scroller these day. Why? Because developers have decided to KILL the excitment of these games by making em so easy a baby could handle it. You see this problem over and over, especially with WayForward's retail games, a problem that kills great potential side-scrolling action licenses like Batman Brave & Bold, Thor, and Hotel Transylvania.

There's always the chance this game somehow overcomes a flaw that has plagued the DS family for its entire existence. And MAYBE it could even match the xcellent Mighty Morphin Power Rangers game from the Sega Genesis, which you can read up on here: http://www.sega-16.com/2005/04/genre-spotlight-beat-em-up-bonanza/

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

@TwilightV: Apparently "elements" of Gokaiger will be the focus of Megaforce's second season, so it will likely be a partial adaptation like the second and third seasons of MMPR were of Dairanger and Kakuranger.

Moving back on-topic, as much as I enjoy watching Power Rangers I tend to avoid licensed video games, so I'll probably give this one a miss. They should bring back the Super NES original, though there may be licensing issues despite Saban being in control once again.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

The movie game on the SNES was also really good- it was also 2 player. If only Bandai would get on board with the VC beyond a handful of Namco titles.

HawkeyeWii

HawkeyeWii said:

OMG a top tier triple AAA 3rd party title announced for a Nintendo console!!!
Oh........................

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

@TwilightV I never finished watching that one. It was one of the best ones of the entire series.
While Samurai was fairly weak, they had even less budget than usual, but all the toy sales profits went straight back to Saban and was used to vastly improve the quality of the second half of the season, titled "Super Samurai."
Hopefully Gosei adapted Megaforce is better still, although I didn't watch much of Gosei, as it really didn't grab me.
I'll think about getting the game if it's good enough, especially if my kids like the new show.

beat

beat said:

2D? is this going to be like the shatty ps2 power ranger game? =_=

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

@GamerZack7 : Yes, i've been watching Megaforce, and it seems like the story has been progressing rapidly, so I suspect that this is the case.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

Power Rangers turned to crap after the first season of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. The evil green ranger mini series just can't be beat!

Bryon15

Bryon15 said:

I might actually get this. I never stopped watching power rangers. But I admit the newer games are nothing like the ones for snes and sega genesis. Also you can in fact play those old games on the Wii. But it requires hacking.

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

@TwilightV: Ah, good. Megaforce still hasn't started on Nickelodeon in Australia (Why do we usually get everything last?), so it'll be great to watch a fresh new series. I lapped-up Samurai since it reminded me so much of the good ol' days! B-)

Mickey

Mickey said:

@Dpullam: Barely enough so they can say they do. And all the good ones are side-scrollers. When can we have the perfect open-world 3D Power Rangers game we deserve!

3DGamer

3DGamer said:

My favorite power rangers were always Ninja Storm, SPD, and Dino-Thunder especially Shane NS,Jack SPD,and the white ranger Dino-Thunder.

3DGamer

3DGamer said:

Mighty Morphing Power Rangers was sketchy and crappy I am just glad Saban has learned from experience.

AzureFashionist

AzureFashionist said:

Well I never really liked GoSeiger anyway. Mega Force is alright but I'm just waiting for... lol GoKaiger super forms lol.

pariah164

pariah164 said:

SMH

Goseiger was a lackluster Sentai series, and Megaforce is no better. To make the Gokaiger suits their 'super' forms just makes me sad, since Gokaiger was made of awesome. SABAN RUINS EVERYTHING.

shinobi88

shinobi88 said:

@AugustusOxy,

You are the only person on Earth who's ever referred to Streets of Rage as lame.
the rest of your comment was absolutely unnecessary. please stop — TBD

shinobi88

shinobi88 said:

We are on a site 150% dedicated to VIDEO GAMES. If someone insults a video game we care about unjustly, we should be able to insult them. Are you trying to tell me AugustusOxy is more important or valuable than Streets of Rage?? Which one do you think has made more people happy over its lifetime? I'm guessin the current tally is in SOR's favor somewhere around millions to 10. Anyway, Streets of Rage & Power Rangers are both IPs dedicated to relentlessly beating on people. I'm glad our world has become so sissified. The only way I'd find deleting my previous post acceptable is if Orla decided upon it. Because pretty girls are the only ones truly powerful enough to create peace amongst men. I probably should mention to Augustus that Luminalace's icon is actually from Street FIGHTER

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

@MickeyTheGreat

Not only side-scrolling, a few of the Power Rangers fighting games were also good too especially the Game Gear MMPR and the Super NES Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Fighting Edition (borrowing the same fighting engine from Mobile Suit Gundam Wings: Endless Duels) where both Lord Zedd and Ivan Ooze were playable.

JMDS

JMDS said:

It's weird to see so many side-scrollers on a system that boasts a circle pad and 3D capability.

Still, a freaking Power Rangers game! Can't wait to see more.