Rumour: EA Looking into Taking on More Sports Franchises

Posted by Andy Green

It's most likely UFC, though

Publishing behemoth Electronic Arts certainly has a fair amount of sports franchises under its belt. It seems the company hasn't reached the last notch just yet though, as chief financial officer Blake Jorgensen has suggested it could take on a couple more franchises.

During the recent Wedbush Technology Conference, Jorgensen said EA's biggest opportunities continue to be the FIFA and Battlefield franchises, alongside its plethora of core sports brands like Madden, NCAA, NHL, and NBA. However he went on to say there were "possibly a couple of new sports franchises" to add to them.

This sparked off a few rumours as to what EA is thinking of adding to its already plentiful repertoire. Many thought the company could be looking to bring back baseball, since Take-Two's licensing agreement with Major League Baseball has now expired.

Well it appears this is unlikely, as an EA representative has since told Polygon that Jorgensen was referring to UFC, which the company announced its acquisition of during last year's E3 presentation. We're not sure why he couldn't have just said UFC, but there you go.

Of course speculation will still exist; if EA was to kick-off a new sports franchise what would you like to see? Baseball? Archery? Sumo wrestling? Let us know in the comments section below.

[via polygon.com]

KingDunsparce

KingDunsparce said:

Well, I love water polo so that if it would work :P or swimming... (That might be a bit boring depending on how they made it if they did...)

mch

mch said:

What i want from them is the newest Sim City and NHL on the WiiU!!

RoryLee

RoryLee said:

A professional wrestling game. Create a character would be perfect for the gamepade, I'm sure I would spend hours just on that.

WesCash

WesCash said:

I love to play Ultimate Frisbee but I don't think it would make for an exciting video game. I've always been partial to arcade style wrestling games though.

Gigagator

Gigagator said:

I ask everybody to boycott EA from now on. After Most Wanted on Wii U, I will never be buying another EA game again. They represent everything that is wrong with the industry today. They are so greedy, so terrible to their customers - this whole SimCity fiasco is just the start of things, I'm sure.

EA are a cancerous growth on the industry and things would be better without them.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@Gigagator I'm absolutely with you on this and I won't be buying anything with electronic arts name on it! That thing with sim city is ridiculous

JSuede

JSuede said:

I don't want them to make any other sports games. I could definitely see them trying to sign an exclusive licensing deal with the NHL to get rid of 2k as competition....unless that already happened and I missed something.

EA already has a monopoly on sports franchises, why do they hate competition? And why can't we get some anti-trust lawyers in here to bust it up?

I wish Criterion and NFS weren't owned by EA. It would make buying the U version so much easier. *sigh

cornishlee

cornishlee said:

Hooray for them!

Actually, while I'm neither an EA or a sports game fan, I'd look at a rugby game and I'd be genuinely interested in a boxing sim with motion plus. Don King, on the Wii, had a lot of potential that was ruined by the controls.

taffy

taffy said:

Wouldn't mind another Rugby game, shame that Jonah Lomu Rugby Challange never came to the Wii U which is odd seeing as it went to the PS Vita. But that's Sidhe's call... :(

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

They need to go after the Major League Baseball license. They certainly can't do any worse than the guys who make the MLB games under the current exclusive contract. Ever since the MLB license went exclusive, they have yet to make a good baseball sim on Nintendo hardware, leaving me with MVP Baseball '05 for GameCube as my best option.

coolvw93

coolvw93 said:

i would like to see a new rugby game or maybe even a new areana football game. Or lacrosse....

Lopezdm

Lopezdm said:

2K picked up WWE wrestling so I don't really understand why they didn't pick UFC up too. I don't really like EA right now because of there policy towards gamers right now. So this is just another game I won't be buying.