Nintendo To Reveal Its Web Framework For Wii U At GDC

Posted by Martin Watts

Big N looking to reduce development time for games and applications

The Nintendo Web Framework is due to be unveiled in a panel today entitled "Nintendo Wii U Application Development with HTML and JavaScript" at this week's Game Developer's Conference (GDC).

The panel focuses on developing games and applications for Wii U using HTML 5, Javascript and CSS through the Nintendo Web Framework. It supports Javascript extensions, as well as Wii Remotes and the Wii U GamePad.

Nintendo is hoping that this initiative will allow for much faster game and application development, which is likely to appeal to both small and large development studios alike.

Do you think this scheme will give indie developers a boost? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.

[via nintendoworldreport.com]

TobiasAmaranth

TobiasAmaranth said:

I'd rather Nintendo create PC compatibility between the Gamepad and my home computer. Stuff like Steam and monitor cloning.

GuSolarFlare

GuSolarFlare said:

they could make the 3ds browser use HTML 5 before going so far to make these things(they're cool, I mean more option for programmers, but the 3ds internet browser is the most useless thing in its current state)...

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

This will open doors for free quality internet content, possible integration into games and apps, etc. benefits of that sort.
This actually helps more than just Nintendo.

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

All the functionality is already there and it is very easy to write HTML5 "apps" for the excellent Wii U browser with Gamepad support etc.

Birthday_Boy

Birthday_Boy said:

I really hope the Wii U gets plenty of indie support. We're seeing an interesting amount of planned Wii U exclusives starting on Kickstarter, but this could just boost up that wave of independent Wii U developers.
Hopefully, Team Meat can participate soon. They seem to really want to use Nintendo hardware.

FOREST_RANGER

FOREST_RANGER said:

This will be interesting, although I've heard that developing games in HTML 5 isn't too seamless unfortunately.

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

this isnt geared towards games but other stuff. Think Youtube, Facebook, Twitter and a whole host of other web-based goodies. It would be silly to make browser games for a game console.

SMW

SMW said:

As a web developer, I am very excited. HTML5 can do some awesome things! I doubt I'd ever make an indie game with it, but this is something I could see myself toying around with! If I were to make an indie game, I'd use something like the UDK.

mostro328

mostro328 said:

facebook, twitter, and instagram apps for wiiu would be great integrate some kind of camera app to use the camera to take and edit photos and upload directly to fb or ig like the dsi, it would be huge i think

Henmii

Henmii said:

Finally news about Nintendo at GDC! The focus may be Wii u, but I am still hoping for the new 3DS Zelda! It could happen!!

Kagamine

Kagamine said:

I know i would find it useful if I was making my PC games for WiiU, sadly I won't benefit from this because i don't think i could ever get my stuff published on the WiiU.I'm wondering how widely available the information will become. Will it only be available to those at the conference, or will it become public?

moo99

moo99 said:

If any dev wants some help making a game I do UI and CSS and think this would be fun

Shanksta

Shanksta said:

Cool. I think it would be fun to use since I am really starting to think about going in to videogame development, when I finish my next year of college.

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

One thing I would love to see would be Kindle website or an app (or a third party app that works with epub & kindle formats)

seronja

seronja said:

it might bring some developers now, but not too much, and not too great i guess... please god no shovelware! i had them enough with wii & DS, this gen Nintendo consoles better not have the same mistake as last gen for letting publsihing bad games instead of good games. not just retail also e-shop games, the DSi & Wiiware were awful

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Hope this also means we'll get the best control options in the future. If a dev can directly implement the Wiimote held NES-style instead of having to think or ask about it first that should be good.

Also hope this will make it cheaper to get a game both on your 3DS and WiiU.