Mario Voice Actor Charles Martinet To Lend His Talent To BIT.TRIP Presents: Runner 2

Posted by Martin Watts

It's a me...Commander Video?

Gaijin Games has announced that its upcoming title, BIT.TRIP Presents: Runner 2 Future Legend of Rhythm Alien, will be narrated by none other than Mario voice actor Charles Martinet.

The renowned voice actor will be voicing seven cut-scenes that appear in the downloadable game. Rather than lending his voice to a new character or a BIT.TRIP version of everyone's favourite portly plumber, Martinet will in fact be playing himself. According to the team at Gaijin Games, Martinet simply began by reading a few of his lines in the first-person, and this approach was very quickly adopted by the team.

The developers feel that by having Martinet speak as himself, it will help to give the player a better feel of the weird and unusual BIT.TRIP universe. They have likened it to Seaman, a peculiar Dreamcast title where Leonard Nimoy announces himself at the beginning of the game in order to break the fourth wall.

BIT.TRIP Presents Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien is expected to release in early 2013 for Wii U.

[via polygon.com]

Painmaster212

Painmaster212 said:

@Bob-t-Gmaestro Just youtube voice of Mario and you can hear his real voice,he sounds like a regular everyday guy who just happen to get lucky and crash the voice casting back in the day for Mario lol

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

Am I the only one who think Mario should be mute ? I find that voice anoyying as all buggery lol

SomeBitTripFan

SomeBitTripFan said:

How haven't I learned this already? Nintendolife is providing me with more info on Bit. Trip than the Dev Blog.

Bandwagonman

Bandwagonman said:

I only gave the title of this article a passing glance, and in that glance I only saw the "RIP" in BIT.TRIP. You can imagine I nearly had a heart attack!

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Yeah there's plenty of interview videos on Youtube, people. :p
Just look him up.

Shrapmo

Shrapmo said:

This guy belongs in more games in my opinion. If you watch his interviews on Youtube he seems like such a joyful person which translates very well into games. BTW to the people who think Mario's voice is annoying:
Don't you get a little smile on your face every time you hear a Mario quip like I do? Don't you hear his voice and remember the first time you got to play Mario 64?
Don't you KNOW that a Mario game is going to be fun when you hear the phrase "Here we GO!"
I'm not hating on you guys really, I'm just baffled that you would hate his voice.

Stratostar

Stratostar said:

This is crazy! Crazy, I tell you! I am now even more excited about this game!
I HAVE ACHIEVED THE IMPOSSIBLE!

Morphbug

Morphbug said:

I know, it seems the same spambot has been creating a new account everyday recently :|

Henmii

Henmii said:

Sooo, this was unexpected! But cool! When was the last time Martinet voiced non-Mario characters, if ever?!

One silly question: Will his voice also appear in the Xbox360/PS3 version? Anyway, looking forward to it!

MegaWattsAdmin

MegaWatts said:

@Knuckles Thank you! You haven't missed anything - everyone else is such a useful busy bee that I kinda just slot into the background somewhere!