Amazon Instant Video Goes Live on Wii U

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Just tap the icon

Much like the arrival of Hulu Plus on Wii U, good things come to those who wait. Joining yesterday's addition to the TV streaming options on Nintendo's new system, and Netflix which was ready on day one, is Amazon Instant Video, live right now.

If you're a subscriber to the service, simply tap on the tile visible on the home menu and a download will start from the eShop. Once the app is installed you'll need to login, register the device following on-screen instructions, and then you should be good to go. It has the features that you'd expect, with lots of content and the ability to use the GamePad screen for navigation or watching away from the TV.

One neat inclusion is integration with Amazon's Whispersync, which means that you can stop watching a show on your Wii U, switch to another device — such as a PC, smartphone or tablet — and pick up from the exact spot where you left off; it shows that the app is fully connected and using the online service to its potential.

So there you go, you now have three TV subscription-based streaming services to choose from on Wii U in North America. You'll also have the chance to try Nintendo's own app, TVii, when it arrives in December.

[via amazon.com]

Sjoerd

Sjoerd said:

They're getting things ready faster than I thought they would. Good for you NA!

Bluezealand

Bluezealand said:

@PoshSnivy
I doubt it. The UK will probably get a bbc-app and that's it. -.-
Or maybe they have contracts with Sky (which I don't use though). At least they promote it A LOT in the Video app on the 3DS in Germany.

JonWahlgrenAdmin

JonWahlgren said:

I don't have cable so all these video apps are great for me, and I'm super psyched about TVii actually. Also love how I can control my TV input, channel and volume with the GamePad. Suck it, smartglass! :)

9th_Sage

9th_Sage said:

@HiroshiYamauchi why would you find that strange? They want to sell things to us, the best way to do this is to be on as many devices as possible. WiiU certainly isn't the only one to have Amazon Instant on it.

Bluezealand

Bluezealand said:

@9th_Sage
It is strange, because in the US amazon didn't sell any Nintendo hardware for almost 1,5 years- including the Wii U. So, they are offering their service on a platform of a company, which they boycott.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

Would I need to be a Prime member, or can I access my purchased shows even if I'm not a Prime member?

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Erica_Hartmann - Somei basic stuff - nf has no commercials and what you see is what you get $7.99 per month and they have by far the best interf ace but no current tv season shows, Hulu Plus has commercials and some stuff you can see on their free service but not the paid (yes it;s stupid that way) and some shows get listed but they only have clips and the interface is functional, Amazon Prime is $79 per year but som epeopl eget offered $7.99 per motn when they sign up, but only a limited selection o ftheir stuff is included the rest you have to pay for and their user interface sucks pretty bad but at least they finally got a queue list. nf is the only one i can recommend.

i am glad all 3 are on U so maybe it will help Amazon an dHulu get better.