French Firm Recycles SNES Consoles With a Unique Twist

Posted by Damien McFerran

What once was old is new again

We've got a saying here at Nintendo Life Towers: Old consoles don't die, they just go into storage. It's heartening to discover that French firm Lëkki feels the same way; the company is focused on taking existing retro hardware and making it new again with a fresh lick of paint - and we mean that literally.

Lëkki takes vintage hardware and refurbishes it, as well as spraying the casing to create new and unique designs. The firm boasts a "commitment to sustainable development and recycling, through putting iconic objects from the past into service," and offers the same service for old-school mobile phones, too. They even sell funky Game Boy systems.

While there's no official listing on the Lëkki site at present, Stuff reports that the SNES will be available in four different colours and will retail for around £120 (approx $190), with additional controllers costing £14 ($22) each.

Do you fancy one of these arty SNES consoles, or do you prefer the badly-yellowed look of your existing machine? Drop a comment to let us know.

[via stuff.tv, lekki.fr]

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

A lick of fancy paint does not turn a 40$ console into something thats worth nearly 200$ in my opinion.

GameLord08

GameLord08 said:

@Mk_II: In essence, they could be considered limited edition. Legendary vintage consoles with a unique modern design? I'd say it's justified for collectors' purposes.

sejan

sejan said:

I'm just fine with my SNES Jr. It doesn't show any yellowing at all.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

no offense, but for that kind of scratch there'd better be a Picasso on the underside of that system.

Boo_Buster

Boo_Buster said:

I'd rather just find a working original SNES for less than half of what they want...

Omega

Omega said:

I would pay 45 Euros instead of 190 and refurbish it myself. It's not hard if you have the proper screwdrivers. - And it's not even clear if they take the console apart to clean it or if they just use Mr. Clean and a sponge to "refurbish" it on the outside. (Anyone can do that, and it's certainly not worth that much money.)

TrickySx4

TrickySx4 said:

This cannot be justice by a collector.. unless you collect after market modified system . As a collector this adds No value to a system at all.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

That looks nice, but not $190+ nice. Its not worth it imo when you can just find a good deal and do the repairs yourself. I paid $20 for mine and just need to replace the power input jack which is only roughly $20 total including shipping and tools, $150 cheaper than what they want and it works just the same.

ogo79

ogo79 said:

i prefer the original colors however my nes and snes look brand new theres no yellowing on them. guess i got lucky

JebbyDeringer

JebbyDeringer said:

Yeah for that price I'd expect a much more detailed paint job. Still it's good if you have loads of money and want to purchase a clean and guaranteed to be working system.

AgentAPE

AgentAPE said:

I've custom airbrushed consoles for years now, that's not even 5 dollars worth of spray paint sitting on that console. Nice Try.

DinkDonk

DinkDonk said:

Nice try.. i like retro game, but this price is very expensive, with $15 you can get NES, and $20 for Sega Genesis,and $200 for SNES? you must be kidding :D

Sprite

Sprite said:

I have a pristine SNES with 12 games for 10$ and expect me to take it to them and PAY them to graffiti it?!