Goemon And Ebisumaru Heading To 3DS eShop In Mystical Ninja

Posted by Damien McFerran

Game Boy classic confirmed for European release

Konami's classic Mystical Ninja series is getting a new lease of life this month — in Europe, at least — thanks to the launch of the Game Boy version of the game on the 16th August.

Originally released in Japan in 1997 under the title Ganbare Goemon: Kurofune Tō no Nazo (Go Goemon: Mystery of the Black Ship Gang) and making its way to North America and Europe the following year, Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon is a close match to the Japan-only SNES title Ganbare Goemon 3: Shishijūrokubē no Karakuri Manji Gatame, and boasts a top-down viewpoint and RPG elements.

Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon will retail for £2.70 / €3.00. Start saving those pennies!

Thanks to Fenix Fontaine for the tip!

[via nintendo.co.uk]

KeeperBvK

KeeperBvK said:

This could be a great game if it wasn't for the running mini game right after the first boss. You had to mash the buttons track & field style and if you failed to come in first place you had to restart the entire game. No second chance, any remaining lives are worthless and no check points. That would already be ridiculous in itself, but it was also nearly impossible to win. I never could, neither on original hardware nor on an emulator.

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

I used to hold out a slim hope that the N64 games would make their way to the Wii Virtual Console, but I'd like to give this a try when it reaches the NA eShop.

Yasume

Yasume said:

Yes!! I loved the SNES game on the Wii VC.

@KeeperBvK: That won't be much of a problem now thanks to restore points.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

YES!!!!!!!!!! Please Konami bring the 64 ones too!

Do you really want to have to restart Mystical Ninja from the beginning every time? The VC does not support the Controller Pak to save games, and Mystical Ninja relies on it to save progress.

Shock_Tart

Shock_Tart said:

i would LOVE to see the N64 ones on the nintendo eshop. and bass, for most Eshop games there is this wonderful device they put in called a restore point in which you could use to save your progress any time you want.

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

Slaptastic news indeed! This is an instant purchase if it makes a ninja jump onto the NA eShop! :)

Shworange

Shworange said:

Well they could at least bring the 64 version to wii ware! I loved that game. It would be the first wii virtual console game I bought in years

KeeperBvK

KeeperBvK said:

@ Yasume: Aren't restore points just temporary save files, that get deleted as soon as you start up the game again? So that wouldn't be much help. Plus, I've never managed to do it, not even on emulators, where I could already abuse save-states.

ZeekyInc

ZeekyInc said:

Is this ominous to NA? I'll admit that I am 13 but when I was eight and I discovered YouTube, I watched a walkthrough for this and I knew I would really love it. I need this game.

TravelingD

TravelingD said:

I would like to see the N64 ones on the Virtual Console instead. They're quite the hidden gems of the system.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Probably best to wait for NintendoLife's review before downloading it. I now hear its not that good.

mrkuribo

mrkuribo said:

Definitely buying this one. Goemon is one of my favourite game-series, I love the humour and catchy soundtracks.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Besides Goemon Konami, we need more Sparkster too. Please bring Rocket Knight Adventures 1 (Genesis), 2 (Genesis) & 3 (Super NES) to VC.

OptometristLime

OptometristLime said:

I own this on Gameboy already, and I don't expect anyone to believe me but its a terrible game. The controls are awful, expect to waste precious health falling into pits and... idk it's one of the worst games I've ever played/owned.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Happy to see this, and any VC support from Konami. Brings us potential a step forward to N64 Goemon. PLASMAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Nekketsu3D

Nekketsu3D said:

that disappointment, I have to keep playing game boy ... U.S. eshop and absent these games. :(

Samholy

Samholy said:

be warned of the running mini game. i played hundreds of time the first level and failed hundred of time the weird game after the first level. maybe it was because i was young when playing this,but i never been able to win it.I never saw the second level...be warned also that the game itself was great. i could play the first level again and again...

bring the snes on the 3ds now. bring any snes games on the 3ds cause ITS A DAMN WASTE NOT DOING SO

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

@H_Hunter That isn't a bad thing.

Either way, I hope this will be decent. If it's like that stupid sequel that was thankfully Japan only, I'm avoiding it at all costs. But I want to support Konami, at least until they release Quarth in the west. By god I'm as excited for that game as I was for Kirby's block ball.