Jason Rohrer's Diamond Trust on DS Finally Approved

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Publication details on the way

All the way back in May 2011, creative game developer Jason Rohrer confirmed that Diamond Trust of London would arrive, courtesy of publisher Zoo Games, in late 2011. That period has passed, and Rohrer has confirmed in a blog entry that the title was held up by the 'Nintendo Approval Process'.

This unconventional release will involve working in the diamond mining industry in Angola before 'blood diamond' UN legislation was introduced: engaging in bribery and other criminal activities will be part of the job at hand. It's an interesting concept and thankfully the game is now in a position to be published, with the biggest casualty being the title. It'll now be snappily called Jason Rohrer with Music by Tom Bailey: Diamond Trust of London, which just rolls off the tongue. It's probably an interesting tale of how that title came to be, but as Rohrer explains it's a story that can't be shared: 'it's kind of a funny story, but it's also kind of a non-disclosure-agreement-shrouded story.'

The positive news is that the game is now authorised for publication, so we'll keep an eye out for further details.

[via diamondtrustgame.com]

DrKarl

DrKarl said:

Day one purchase for me. The two player mode sounds amazing. Read the story from the link and check out his hint: Kickstarter!

Double Fine Adventure, Wasteland 2, and now Diamond Trust of London. What a great year. Since this game is already coded, approved and ready for manufacture, I wonder how long it will be from Kickstarter funding to actually having the game in my hands?

pastasauce

pastasauce said:

Reminds me of that iphone game that got banned where you had to whip little kids. Surprised this even got approved, but still day one buy.

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

The Jason Rohrer Anthology might be my favorite thing on my 3DS. I didn't even know this existed, but with that description and that name and that title, I'm hyped now.

gamecubefan

gamecubefan said:

Nintendo needs to stop trying to control content released on its systems as far as vulgarity and adult content goes. There is a game rating system for PARENTS to follow for a reason, Nintendo does not need to deny great games and great ideas..... don't they realize how many Nintendo diehard-type-fans are mature adults?

It's freaking 2012. Nintendo will continue to suffer financially if they keep it up. This is the biggest thing holding them back with hardcore gamers IMO. Remember reading an article on here a few months ago about how Nintendo had denied some game due to its vulgarity.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

I personally think it's pretty creepy when the main objective of a video game is to do your best to be a notorious felon (or at least an extremely dirty business(wo)man in this case), although I give Retro City Rampage a pass for subverting it into more of an '80s/'90s nerdy paradise adventure.

SyFyTy

SyFyTy said:

This is funny as I just wrote him (Jason) an email asking for this info as I had heard nothing for a while and wallah here it is,,, but it probably wasn't my letter he was responding to, doesn't really matter I got the info, it works for me. Been following this one can't wait to buy it.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Not sure if i'd like the gameplay but i love edgier, unique, more thought provoking releases and think the the industry need 'em to develop further. So it's great to hear that.