Nintendo Japan Drops Wii no Ma Service

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

No ma no more

With plenty of development ongoing for 3DS and the all-important task of preparing for the launch of Wii U, Nintendo has plenty of work on its plate. It shouldn't come as much of a surprise that it will be Wii that loses focus, the latest example being the decision by Nintendo to drop the Japan-exclusive Wii no Ma service, with it being killed off on 30th April.

This application was released on 1st May 2009, serving as a channel that brought targeted advertisements to users, as well as 'Home Theatre' and shopping options that came along in later updates. At the time, Wii owners outside of Japan looked on with envy, though services such as Netflix and Hulu Plus have since, arguably, made the idea of Wii no Ma outdated.

Wii no Ma has been downloaded 4.49 million times, with 8.11 million users, but that's not been enough to save it. Japanese gamers can probably be safe in the knowledge that Wii U will have a far more substantial alternative in the future.

[via andriasang.com]

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

I'd take the Wii no Ma channel of Hulu and Netflix which you have to pay for.

TheChosen

TheChosen said:

I always wanted something like this for my Mii's. When they're not takikng a part of party or watching me go-karting, they just stand there in their empty plaza.

killer6370

killer6370 said:

I dont care anymore what Nintendo does now i care about my new 360,and i dont think am gonna buy a wiiu because nintendo will f**K up again,like they allways do

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

I was hoping for Wii no ma for a while, then rumours of a 3D DS came by and I had to let it go, I mean dokodemo Wii no ma for DSi allowed you to use your DSi for coupons.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

Ah, Nintendo-hating comments. Good to see we've got plenty of vocal users here :)

zachts98

zachts98 said:

Just let the sony fanboy hate. They will learn.....soon....hehehehhehehehehhehehhehehehehehehhehe!!!!!!!!

also i am just joking if i would have got a ps3 i would love sony. But i went with microsfot's xbox

1takauchiha

1takauchiha said:

If they'd brought it to other regions, they wouldn't have a problem with making a good profit.

@killer6370 So, why are you on a Nintendo news site if you feel like that? The
exit button is right there, feel free to use it.