Kid Icarus: Uprising Launches with Multiplayer Tournament

Posted by James Newton

US versus them

Nintendo of America will take Kid Icarus: Uprising's multiplayer mode on tour ahead of the game's 23rd March release with a nationwide tournament.

GameStop stores in San Francisco, Orlando, Los Angeles and New York will play host to Nintendo-run multiplayer tournaments, with winners from each area in the running for exclusive Kid Icarus prizes and a trip to New York to compete in the national final.

8th March: San Francisco, CA
11th March: Orlando, FL
15th March: Los Angeles, CA
22nd March: New York, NY

Those who attend the New York final will also be able to buy the game, a full 24 hours before its official release.

If you're going to enrol: good luck, and tell them Nintendo Life sent you.

Nintendo to Mark the Launch of Kid Icarus: Uprising with National Multiplayer Tournament

To prepare fans for the March 23 launch of Kid Icarus: Uprising for the Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo of America will host multiplayer tournaments at select GameStop stores across the United States starting March 8 and culminating in a national championship event in New York on Thursday, March 22. Three winners from each market will participate in the final round. The final national championship event at the GameStop store at Broadway and 84th Street in New York will also feature a special pre-sale opportunity, allowing consumers to purchase the game one day before it goes on sale throughout North America.

The bracket-style tournament will include regional competition at select GameStop locations in San Francisco (March 8), Orlando, Fla., (March 11), Los Angeles (March 15) and New York (March 22). Winners from each of the four markets will be eligible to win prizes including an all-expenses-paid trip to New York to participate in the national championship and a variety of exclusive Kid Icarus-themed items. Even if they are not participating in tournament play, consumers will be able to visit GameStop tournament locations to play Kid Icarus: Uprising before its nationwide launch on March 23.

Kid Icarus: Uprising takes the action of this fan-favorite series to new heights. Players use the Nintendo 3DS system’s Circle Pad, touch screen and buttons to maneuver the heroic Pit as he battles enemies in the air and on land. The new game also incorporates collectible weapons and online multiplayer modes. Each copy of the game comes with six AR cards that can interact with the game, as well as a Nintendo 3DS stand.

For more information about Kid Icarus: Uprising, visit http://kidicarus.nintendo.com/uprising.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I wonder if those exclusive Kid Icarus prizes are more AR cards or those cookies they're giving out over in Japan? Still, this would be cool if you happen to live in the more populated areas of the country.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

This sucks. I probably live closer to these locations than other people here but I won't be able to attend. When they do these things they should have them in the capitols of all the states. Or better yet give the Europeans a chance to compete.

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

11th March: Orlando, FL
Now something comes to Orlanfo, I'm getting too old for this >.>

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

@DictatorJumpMad You misspelled Orlando.
Well I knew people were going to master this game on day one, but this is crazy. Why Nintendo Why, I want a fair multiplayer, not some people getting an extra day to train

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

Damn it, I was going to be in Orlando until March 9, I neer get to attend any events :(

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

Good lord they couldn't wait until the game released!? But I guess it's a good thing, as in they are taking Pit's revival very (very) seriously.

Popyman

Popyman said:

Things like that are so stupid to me. "Come enter this tournament to test your skills at a game you haven't played before!"

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

Stupid east/west coast bias! I'd have to travel at least 1500 miles to get to any of these locations.

Mizore

Mizore said:

...Figures...highly doubt my family wants to take me all the way to Orlando for just some "silly game tournament".

Tigus

Tigus said:

Wow the game must have some really deep battle capability if there putting this much effort into it. I'm going to see if anyone plans on recording the battles cause I plan to play this like Lan and megaman net battle! (wow battle network sigh)

Joshers744

Joshers744 said:

I sort of understand the big city location thing if they are only doing a few...but just one time.... I would like to see Nintendo acknowledge that West Virgina exist..maybe one day