In the RPG sequel, players continue to find and clean up various fossil pieces and by using them to create and revive the Vivosaurs, enter them into the fossil park-sanctioned tournament. Much like the gameplay style of Pokémon games, fighters gather to compete as combatants discover who the best fighter is.
- Players excavate and clean fossils. New Giant Fossil Rocks (containing complete Dinosaur fossils) and Odd Fossil Rocks (which are two-sided) add to the fun of the cleaning process.
- Once the fossils have been cleaned, they can be revived into Vivosaurs, which players can then arrange into teams for battles. The better the fossils have been cleaned, the more powerful the Vivosaurs are in battle.
- Strategy is key in battles. Players must put forth teams of three Vivosaurs, then rotate their positions to maximize their power advantage over opponents.
- New “Super Evolver” Vivosaurs evolve into new forms with the help of golden fossils.
- Players can compete in matchmaking battles or upload their best team to see how it fares against others. Players can also download additional Vivosaurs and events.
- Using DS Download Play, one player who has the game can link up wirelessly with another Nintendo DS owner within range so both can cooperate to expertly clean fossils together.
Super Fossil Fighters is developed by Red Entertainment and ARTDINK and will be published by Nintendo in time for this holiday season.