Nintendo Buys Up Domains for WiiUWare, Wii U Sports and More

Posted by James Newton

It's all coming up Wii U

The best thing about Nintendo's new console being called Wii U is it's easy for the company to think up domain names. The latest batch below show the Big N has gone all-out to register several high-profile domains, and although they're not all likely to be used there are some interesting registrations.

WiiUWare.com is one of the more interesting names, particularly as Nintendo registered a trademark for 3DSWare but not the domain name 3DSware.com. While the company seems keen to move away from "Ware" as a suffix for its downloadable games — 3DSWare doesn't exist as a brand in Nintendo's eyes — it's not out of the realms of possibility the company could continue its WiiWare groundwork with a follow-up.

The list also contains many high-profile Wii games with a U suffix, which will surprise nobody. Will we see Wii U Sports and Wii U Fit in future?

kirbywii.com
wiiuzapper.com
wiiwareu.com
wiiwheelu.com

[via computerandvideogames.com]

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Looks like New Super Mario Bros. Mii might not be just a tech demo. Good for Super Mario Bros. U! That will be an unforgettable moment when we see Mario in HD for the first time. I'm happy to see Wii U Music, as will wariowoods when he sees it! Wii Universe actually sounds more interesting than Wii U Ware, though.

J-Forest-Esq

J-Forest-Esq said:

The U suffix at the end of those doesn't really work...
"Wiibalanceboardu"?
And WiiUWare is an awful name to boot.

pixelman

pixelman said:

Wii Universe... I wonder if that'll be their online service?

I think Nintendo buys up most of these domains (wiiuware, etc.) basically so that no one else does. I kinda think it's to protect against fraud and crap.

melechofsin

melechofsin said:

Can't wait for Wii-U-Ware. I suspect, that most of my money will go to the download services. I liked so many Wiiware games, but the ideas here are much more vast. Bigger games, and downloadable to the screen.... this could be so fun.

Sir_Deadly

Sir_Deadly said:

I always like Wii Universe, I figured they could call the new smash brothers, "Smash Brothers Universe". Since its Wii U, they could incorperate it into the name. But idk how that would work for the 3DS.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Wii universe=Zelda universe, perhaps? Or maybe not! I read the Zelda universe rumor on this sites forum, but I think I read the same rumor a year ago or even longer ago.

rjejr

rjejr said:

I called Wii University as the included Wii U Sports game last week. [But since it isn't on the list I suppose they've already got an actual Wii University in Japan or N. Korea somewhere.] College isn't all about beer and sex, you can also play hackey sack - tap your finger around the little screen while all the Miis kick it on the tv. Could also work well for beer pong if the screen turns out to be pressure sensitive. May want to avoid using the WiiPad as a frisbee though ;-)

Despair1087

Despair1087 said:

wiiwheelu.com? lol they are going to make a giant wii wheel to fit the new controller...

O.O WiiwillrockU.com make it happen nintendo.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

This makes me think back to when 3DS was one of many patents Nintendo took out last year, & sometime later we were aware of a new device coming out named the 3DS.