Scratch That, There's Three Adventure Island Games Coming to Virtual Console

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

Hudson's going all out

A few days ago we spotted a rating for Super Adventure Island on the OFLC, but now yet another game in the series has been rated for the Virtual Console, although this time it's by the ESRB instead of the OFLC.

It might be easy to miss on the ESRB site, as it's not a "new" rating, but if you search for Super Adventure Island II, you will find that the game's old SNES rating has been updated to include Wii as one of its systems, thus indicating that it will join its predecessors on the service sometime in the future.

Super Adventure Island II was the last game in the series for a long time, until a bunch of mobile phone spin-offs and Adventure Island: The Beginning were released. It's also a return to the series roots, in a way - As you may know, the original Adventure Island was simply a NES conversion of Wonder Boy. After it, Adventure Island continued making similar games, while Wonder Boy became more of an action RPG series.

Well, Super Adventure Island II finally follows in Wonder Boy's footsteps and summons up a unique action RPG twist to go along with its usual gameplay. There are only six levels, but all of them are big and require multiple trips back and forth in order to reach treasures using new items you've collected from the previous islands. It's quite entertaining, too!

[via esrb.org]

Link79

Link79 said:

@ MasterGraveheart
Adventure Island 2 on Nes has been rated already but not the third yet.
I imagine part 3 won't be far behind. There's no reason it can't be released if we are getting the others. I'd really like to see the 4th Nes game get released but that would have to be an import. It never came out in america.

brooks83

brooks83 said:

The first Super Adventure Island came out before ESRB ratings, so it wasn't replaced. It never existed until now.

Link79

Link79 said:

Now if we can just get all these Adventure Island games finally released and possibly a translated Monster world 4 then there's alot of games to look forward to. VC is getting quite a boost lately thanks to Hudson!
Guess their takeover by Konami wasn't the end of the world after all.

Fuzzy

Fuzzy said:

How would you rate this compared to Wonder Boy in Monster World? It looks quite similar. If it's anything like that game, I'll be getting this one, as it's quite amazing.

47drift

47drift said:

I told you about Adventure Island bro! I warned you dog!

It keeps happening!

outrun2sp

outrun2sp said:

Yes this is the good one.

Exactly like the monsterworld games. Not quite as good but still a fun game.

Terra

Terra said:

How long before a 4th game appears I wonder. I give it several days

DiggerandIndy

DiggerandIndy said:

Cool! Even though the gameplay deviated from its roots, I kinda like SAI 2. Music's pretty good for one thing! :-)

dustin_g

dustin_g said:

I love the adventure islands but i didnt like this one when i had it on snes, but i am not an rpg person.

Vinsanity

Vinsanity said:

I am pumped for Adventure Island II. Interested by the Super Adventure Island games. But, now that you mention Wonderboy, I gotta wonder - where's Monster World IV? The last "Wonderboy" game for Genesis (even though it starred a charming, cute anime girl?), I could've sworn it was announced to be coming to SOME region via rating leak...
EDIT: OFLC leak; it's coming to Australia sometime. Hopefully then, it should hit the other western countries. Cuz that game is rad! I want it in the 'states for sure!

EdEN

EdEN said:

Basically, Super Adventure Island II is like Adventure Island IV on the NES and since we never got that one over here...

Mikau94

Mikau94 said:

Wow, I didn't even know that there was a 3rd Adventure Island. I loved the first 2.

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

Great news, haven't bought a SNES game in ages on the VC, so these titles would be nice to pick up. I loved the original Adventure Island, and it seems that people seem to really enjoy the SNES versions.

ogo79

ogo79 said:

looks like nintendo is banging out VC releases again after all...its been a strong wave lately. this site is awesome.