E3 2010: Golden Sun: Dark Dawn

Posted by James Newton

The heroes return only on DS! Updated with trailer!

It's taken seven years for the franchise to return, but last year saw the announcement of Golden Sun DS. Today at Nintendo's E3 press conference we saw plenty more on the game, now officially titled Golden Sun: Dark Dawn.

Following the heroes Matthew, Kans and Terrell, it looks set to deliver more of the puzzle, battle and town-based gameplay that the series is known for. We saw new stylus-controlled Psynergies used outside of battle, classic RPG towns and stunning 3D battles with new summons and attacks.

Here's the fact sheet to chow down on, followed by more delicious screenshots:

It’s Always Darkest Before the Dawn
A classic role-playing game branches out with a new look, countless adventures and heroic battles. The game picks up 30 years after the first twogames in the series left off. At the end of Golden Sun: The Lost Age, the heroes succeeded in bringing the world-healing power of the Golden Sun back to the world of Weyard. In the years since, the immense power of the Golden Sun has changed nearly everything. Continents have shifted. New countries have emerged. New species have appeared. But the world is now imperiled by a new threat. Psynergy Vortexes, which suck the elemental Psynergy from both the land and power-wielding Adepts alike, are spreading across the world. The new generation of heroes – the children of those from the previous games – are drawn into the mystery behind the vortexes, as they cross a chaotic world that is succumbing to a new evil.

FEATURES:

• Amazing graphics and beautifully animated summoning abilities that span both Nintendo DS screens let players experience the game like never before.
  • The story takes place 30 years after the final events of the second game, when the Golden Sun Effect occurred. The main characters are the descendants of the previous game’s heroes.
  • Intuitive touch-screen control has been implemented throughout the game, controlling character movements and the release of Psynergy – magical abilities with powerful effects over people and the environment. Touch control also streamlines battle commands and gives players a stronger tactile connection to the action on the
    screen.
  • Players will explore a vast and beautifully rendered world where they will find many treasures, encounter dangerous creatures and manipulate objects blocking their path. Players will also hunt for and collect Djinn, mysterious elemental creatures used to summon powerful spirits in battle.

Any fact sheet that uses the word "imperiled" gets a thumbs-up.

Xkhaoz

Xkhaoz said:

A swan song for the DS, this will be. Soon, 3DS, will replace DS.

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

So, am I to assume this is going to star Isaac and Mia's descendent as the main character? Meh, who cares, it's Golden Sun and it's going to be awesome.

astarisborn94

astarisborn94 said:

Haven't really played any of the Golden Sun titles. I'll see what this game has up it's sleeves.

RyuZebian

RyuZebian said:

This is gonna be great! With updated graphics and all, I wish they would make it more visible what weapon you use... All broadswords looking the same isn't too cool! :P

Knux

Knux said:

I have never played a Golden Sun game before, but I think I will buy this. :)

Terra

Terra said:

I so want this. Just need to play GS1 and GS: The Lost Age first. But this one does look pretty good

James

James said:

@V8 Impatient much? Corbie's touring the booths tomorrow so they'll be up soon. We'll have a trailer for you soon, though :)

Klapaucius

Klapaucius said:

I guess this and Pokemon B&W will be the DS's equivalent to Twilight Princess on GCN. Going out on a high note.

Rhansley64

Rhansley64 said:

The Legendary RPG returns this Holiday can't wait (This my Most wanted DS game of the Year!)

Adam

Adam said:

I can do without the big head look, looks very pretty otherwise.

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

This game went from something I hadn't really played/wasn't that excited about straight up to the top of my interested chart. The trailer looked really awesome. I know there are a pile of really good DS RPGs, but this looks like it'll be worth the time and money to buy and play at the end of the DS's life along with all the games for Wii.

Fuzzy

Fuzzy said:

Only recently got the first game, so hopefully I enjoy that, because this game is looking pretty good.

Radbot42

Radbot42 said:

This may be the perfect game to end the perfect system. Can't wait for this and 3ds

SgtSawkz

SgtSawkz said:

Feenie and Iz are like me and already waiting at the local game store for this to come out... longest wait evar