Monster Hunter 3 Online is Staying Region Locked

Posted by James Newton

Capcom producer Ryozo Tsujimoto breaks the bad news

Recently we got chance to interview Monster Hunter Tri's producer Mr Ryozo Tsujimoto and had to ask him about the continent-specific servers that prevent monster hunters from opposite sides of the Atlantic from playing with each other. Although there was initially hope that the region lock-out would be a temporary measure, Mr Tsujimoto confirmed our worst fears by saying it's around to stay.

Due to several affecting factors I’m afraid we need to keep the servers separated.

Mr Tsujimoto didn't expand upon these factors but we have contacted Nintendo for a follow-up. The rest of the interview containing many other interesting nuggets will be available later tonight, so it's not all bad news.

HolyMackerel

HolyMackerel said:

Yeah, maybe it's latency. I wonder if there are any other reasons, though.

I don't really mind anymore. Now give me 10-player cities and it's all good Capcom!

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

Well I hope it's not going to affect me too badly when I get the game, being that I'll only be able to play with North America

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

I guess it's better to have it working better on a smaller scale than a larger scale that is hampered with issues.

Machu

Machu said:

Gutted!!

No offence to my European friends, but finding English speaking hunters is becoming a real problem for me. I feel like the UK gets the short straw here. :(

Also, get that City limit back up to 10, dropping it to 4 was a big mistake and makes the Tavern pretty much redundant. :(

Yanagi

Yanagi said:

I'm not terribly concerned about region locking. It's not that important for me to play with people all over the world and contend with the language barriers inherent in such a venture. I'm content with keeping it in the US.

Big_A2

Big_A2 said:

Ughr. My friend who lives in the same city as me has a Japanese Wii. Does that make a difference?