Nintendo 2009 Fiscal Year End Figures = Massive Win

Posted by Damien McFerran

The Big N continues to rake in cash, despite the global credit crunch

The world economy may be up a creek without a paddle but Nintendo isn't feeling the pinch all that much. For the financial year ending March 31, 2009, the Kyoto-based video game veteran reported record figures for both sales and operating profit.

Sales clocked in at 1.83 trillion yen - a rise of 9 percent from last year. Operating profits were over 555 billion yen, an improvement of 14 percent from 2008.

As well as releasing these figures Nintendo also revealed hardware and software sales for the year. The Nintendo Wii shifted 25.95 million units worldwide last year, bringing total lifetime sales to 50.39 million.

The DS system did even better and clocked up 31.18 million units sold, with a lifetime total of 101.78 million.

In terms of software, the big movers are as follows (numbers in brackets are lifetime sales):

Nintendo DS:

• Pokemon Platinum - 3.75 million
  • Kirby Super Star Ultra - 2.36 million
  • Brain Training 1 & 2 - 7.31 million combined (31.12 million)

Nintendo Wii:

• Wii Fit - 16.37 million (18.22 million)
  • Mario Kart - 15.4 million
  • Animal Crossing: City Folk - 3.38 million
  • Wii Music - 2.65 million

We're sure you'll agree that those are some seriously amazing figures there, and they give a pretty good indication of why Nintendo is sitting pretty at the moment.

[via kotaku.com]

timp29

timp29 said:

With all that profit why not toss us all a couple of hundred nintendo points :p

Objection

Objection said:

I'm surprised to see that of 50 million Wii owners, 15-16 million of them have Wii FIt and/or Mario KArt. I find the former surprising actually. Also, how did Brawl not make the top-selling list?!

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

Kirby Super Star Ultra - 2.36 million
And to think (like they mentioned) this isn't even out in Euorpe yet. In fact, I'm pleased they mentioned it as I thought everyone at Nintendo had forgetten about it not being out in Europe.

Still the Foreign Exchange losses has gotten frighteningly huge inspite of the NOE stratagy of "Ripp-off the British"...

Also, how did Brawl not make the top-selling list?!
Its sold well over 2 million for certain but unlike the titles they did mention it isn't really selling anymore (i.e. its sales have plateud and crashed).

bbb7002004

bbb7002004 said:

Brawl also came out in Japan and NA during fiscal 2008, meaning a fair portion of the sales of that game aren't looked at for these statistics.

wiiboy101

wiiboy101 said:

20 years of un matched gaming clear profits continues with amassing 09 profits BUY SONY JUST FOR A JOKE NINTENDO....

Nintendo will have there best CORE GAME year yet on ds dsi and wii and if any price drops come wii sales will be insane then drop wiiHD on the world dec 2010 THE WAR WILL BE OVER....

wii balance board has a userbase all of its own WOW it has a global userbase almost on par with ps3 and its a add on control board not a console LOL

wiiboy101

wiiboy101 said:

some core mature facts for you guys

dead space x360 ps3 and pc conbined 1.5 million sold

resident evil 4 wii edition only on wii 1.5 million sold

so wii is what and mature games do what

add wii res evil is the only game with motion controls

its clear who the real puff daddy clearly is

Chatham

Chatham said:

Wow, I hope Nintendo gives it'splatinum club members some love at the end of June in light of this amazing sales chart.

SmaMan

SmaMan said:

So more than 50% of the Wii's lifetime sales thus far was made in the last year alone? Good grief... Sony better find some bigger closets.

Knux

Knux said:

Wow,Nintendo better start giving us some free Nintendo points.

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

@post 7 wiiboy101
Now, now. I can take sales figures and twist things also.
Gears of War 2 (Xbox 360) 4.85 million sold (as of April 09)
Mad World (Nintendo Wii) 190,000 (as of April 09)
See? By randomly taking two games I just made it look like Microsoft has totally blown Nintendo out of the water. I'm as happy as the next guy for Nintendo, but let's not be blindly fanboyish.

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

We all know Nintendo is selling well. I wish that their 3rd party support could say the same. The I would be really happy.

And yes, I agree, Nintendo needs to throw us some free Nintendo points.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

bbb7002004 said exactly what popped into my head when I read Objection_Blaster's post.

I agree that the Platinum prize should be amazing in light of these numbers, but I very much doubt it will be. We can always hope within reason, though, right?

Sadly, these numbers also prove how little the "core gamer" market really matters to Nintendo now. With 18 million people buying Wii Fit, what do they care if we can or can't buy what we want? sigh :(

disclaimer: I would personally like to buy Wii Fit if I had room to use it, which I don't. I just picked that game in the previous paragraph because it sold HUGELY and undoubtedly has the lowest overlap of sales with "core gamers".

Also, note that I said "core," not "hardcore." The meaning here is meant to imply serious (meaning those who spend a lot of time with gaming and web sites like this one) gamers regardless of what they play. Largely, this would include those who bought Gamecubes years ago. I believe Nintendo has used this term before, and it really fits better anyway.

ASDFGHJKL

ASDFGHJKL said:

@13 Mariokart sold about 15 million though. Almost as good as wii fit sales. So people must like Mario Kart. So now Nintendo has 15 million Mario fans. How bout Zelda Horseback Racing Party?

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@GabeGreens: Sure, but that's Mario. Believe me, Mario sells games, regardless of who the buyer is. And it certainly had a LOT more "core" gamers buy it than did Wii Fit, too, but many "core" gamers complained that it had been "dumbed down" or something relative to the rest of the series (not a complaint I have, but...).