USA WiiWare Update: Space Invaders Get Even & Pit Crew Panic!

Posted by Corbie Dillard

Well the US WiiWare releases feature something old and something new. The US finally gets the release of Taito's Space Invaders Get Even, which Japanese and European gamers have already been enjoying, as well as the newest Hudson WiiWare release Pit Crew Panic!

You can check out WiiWare World's Space Invaders Get Even review if you're still undecided on a purchase and we'll have a full review of Pit Crew Panic up within the next day or so.

Until then you can take a look at the official Nintendo press releases for both titles below.

SPACE INVADERS GET EVEN (Taito, 1 player, Rated E10+ for Everyone 10 and Older-Cartoon Violence, 500 Wii Points): The Space Invaders are back, and this time they're out to get even. Take control of a UFO and make those Earthlings pay by unleashing your fleet of heroic invaders against their puny tanks, fighter jets and artillery-but watch out for the massive boss awaiting you at the end of each stage. Use your invaders' five attack types and the might of the mother ship to rack up high scores, then upload them via Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection and see where you stand in the global rankings.

PIT CREW PANIC! (Hudson Entertainment, 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone, 800 Wii Points): Pit Crew Panic! is a frantic, action-packed game that unfolds on the racing circuit. During the game, the pit crew is not only faced with repairing vehicles, but also various WHATSITs. Handling the WHATSIT repairs is a pit crew made up of legendary beauties. The controls are simple: Just grab a member of the crew with the Wii Remote™ controller's A Button, then release the button when the Pointer is over the damaged PART, and that crew member will begin repairs. Assign repairs to the members of your team and provide support using the Wii Remote to send a fully repaired WHATSIT out of the pit as quickly as you can. The game features Normal mode, which can be played using one of two rules: Abnormal mode (players split into two teams and compete against each other) and Ranking mode (compete with players around the world for the top record). Each mode can be played with a maximum of four Wii Remote controllers, allowing you to team up with friends and family. Your teamwork could lead to outstanding records.

And if for some reason these two WiiWare titles don't grab your attention, you can also check out the release of SNK's Neo Geo classic Metal Slug 2 on the US Virtual Console.

Related Games

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

About time Space Invaders is released in America. At 500 points there's no excuse not to get it if you have the points to use. Probably not worth getting more points specifically for it though. Pit Crew Panic looks like shovelware and I am expecting a low score.

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

This update is way better than last week! I'm downloading both! :D

@ Bass - Yes it might be. The Japanese get the game at a lower cost tomorrow, which is 500 Wii Points.

gameking23

gameking23 said:

Well no MaBoShi. :( Space Invaders :) Games for me nothing. :(

I wish we got Cue Sports instead of Pit Crew Panic.

bwaybuddy26

bwaybuddy26 said:

500 Japanese points is different than 800 US points I think. IGN gave the game somewhat positive impressions.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Yeah we were a little thrown off with the release of Pit Crew Panic instead of Cue Sports as well. Oh well, that's the wacky WiiWare for you! :)

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

Yay, we finally get Space Invaders Get Even! This will be just the 2nd WiiWare game I get (TV Show King was the other one). Now let's see some more non-puzzle games.

Olimar_91

Olimar_91 said:

@Bass

Isn't the 500 points just for one level? If I remember correctly, you have to download two optional DLC packs for 500 points each to get the full game. That makes it 1500 points if you want the whole experience.

Also, I heard it takes somewhere around 600 blocks if you download all of the content. I'm not 100% sure on that, but if it's true, there certainly IS reason not to buy it.

It's unfortunet to have to judge games based on their size... Hopefully Nintendo will release the update for their storage solution soon.

ness

ness said:

@ WiiWare-World: Is there the possibility that you will integrate the function that everybody can rate WiiWare games? Like it is at vc-reviews.com.

@ Olimar_91: You have to download three optional DLC packs for 500 points each to get the full game. So you need 2000 points.

Atlantis1982

Atlantis1982 said:

@Olimar_91

Oh, Olimar, how quickly you are (and many others) that just drops the ball because it is a roasted, whole turkey in the fridge, and too lazy to move aside the other leftovers for something glorious.

darkmagi_82

darkmagi_82 said:

Space Invaders, Woot! What I want to know is if it's just the starter pack or the DLC packs as well. I have 1,500 Wii Points, so I can get 2 :)

PALgamer

PALgamer said:

Finally Space Invaders is out and all those complainers can shut up :P
And yeah, we are holding MaBoShi in custody until WoG comes, so don't even mention that game

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

As I've mention before, I'm not in a rush to play Get Even, so I'll wait for a storage solution before DL it, and, as BASS X0, I believe Pit crew panic! is shovelware, so nothing for me this week. :(

thewiirocks

thewiirocks said:

Handling the WHATSIT repairs is a pit crew made up of legendary beauties.
May I be the first to say, What the... ???

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

@Bulbasaurus Rex: as good as TVSK may have been, you really need to try out some more stuff.

@Corbie: Likin' the use of "wacky", there.

@PALgamer: Which, hopefully, should be this weekend (although my wallet and the upcoming Christmas shopping beg to differ).

@Ness: This problem has been suggested previously, with main reasoning behind the non-inclusion here being that devs could get everyone they know to rate their game 10/10 (cough BPlus cough)

@thewiirocks: Clearly, you're not used to getting your whatsits checked out.
Oh wait - it's a car game?! Well, that explains a lot.

RE: the article
Good that you got SIGE, but Pit Crew Panic just sounds like Home Sweet Home, minus the designing stage - meaning that it's a no-no for me.

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

Pit Crew = Only reason I considered it at ALL was for Wi-fi. Does it still have Online Play? Anyone have it yet?

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

@Wiiloveit
I don't like puzzle games. I don't like the style of gameplay in Mega Man 9 (plus that series is too hard for me) or LostWinds. I'm not a fan of the Strong Bad cartoons. I don't like simulators. The shooters aren't deep enough for me. Brain Challenge is redundant when I already have Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree. Cave Story isn't worth it when I can download the original version for free. There's not enough to do in Pokemon Ranch. Most of the rest is shovelware. I might get Defend Your Castle after the storage solution is released.

They need to release more good action games and platformers, including some beat 'em ups.

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

I was gonna suggest that too but he says he doesn't like puzzle games. His loss. TT is a great game.

Base File for SIGE is 307 Blocks, guys.

Olimar_91

Olimar_91 said:

@Atlantis-

I'm not entirely sure SIGE is glorious. I'm certainly not opposed to moving things out in order to get a game I want; i.e. World of Goo, which was over 300 blocks.

However, Space Invaders is not the kind of game I would readily empty out my memory for. It seems sort of interesting, but I can't say I'm sold on it by any means.

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

Thats good for people who wanted get even. I'm not one of those people so i guess this is the first week in 2 months where i wont be buying something. WHERE ARE YOU MABOSHI!!!!!! On a side note, did anyone else notice that WWW is now averaged into the overall score of a game on gamerankings.com?

Cheezy

Cheezy said:

Eh, I'm not really interested in either of these. Nothing for me this week.

slambert215

slambert215 said:

Pit Crew Panic huh? What a wierd game.

@Corbie: Nice festive avatar. I might have to change mine soon- Peter Griffin is getting kinda stale.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I think I might use a new pic of myself too sometime. This current one was taken back in February. On Topic: I wonder if Europe will get Pit Stop Panic this week...

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Space invaders: Get Even - this game really should have been released as a budget title on disc format - they could have expanded the game even further, and I really believe it would have sold more copies as a retail game than as bloated Wiiware.

@14. darkmagi_82: Save your 1500 points for World of Goo whenever it releases in your region. If you're not convinced, then download the PC demo version from their website for free - http://www.2dboy.com/games.php - It contains the entire first chapter of the game; no time limits or expire dates - if you're still not hooked, then by all means, D/L Space Invaders.

EDIT for some reason I thought you were in a PAL territory, but you clearly have a US flag on your profile, LOL...

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

@Wiiloveit
Pinball games need either a good theme (don't like the one in Alien Crush) or some good alternative mechanics than just pinball (which it doesn't have). Pop is a puzzle game. Bomberman Blast is better than most but the gameplay still doesn't interest me enough.

blockhead

blockhead said:

@Bulbasaurus Rex
what about world of goo i dont like puzzle games but when i saw the review i got so i downloaded the free demo(link up above) i liked it
and when i downloaded the full version ive been hooked ever since

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Two WiiWare games a week every week without fail. No more, no less. I wonder how many games Nintendo have in reserve ready to be released and if any games have to be cut short in development time to be released. I'm sure some games are made just for the sake of making them and that quality of the game is not really an issue, just that its made.

Supermarioman

Supermarioman said:

Yes for Space Invaders: Get Even, but PIT CREW PANIC! looks horrible, rather have Home Sweeet Home than that....

Objection

Objection said:

I'm going back and forth between testing SIGE with my remaining 500 pts or waiting for Eternity' Child, etc. that is 500.

longtimegamer

longtimegamer said:

Starwolf appeared to be saying that Space Invaders gets even was or was going to be retail in the review section awhile back. Anyone know what he was talking about?

By the way, to all of you who've played this, how is it? Do you think its worth the price?

darkmagi_82

darkmagi_82 said:

@Stardust
I've had WoG since it came out in the US :P, but thanks anyways. World of Goo is an incredible game, other gamers should take your advice.

longtimegamer

longtimegamer said:

EXCUSE ME?? Any one Home?
What does anyone who's played SIGE think about it?

Been awhile since I read the review, but I'd like other opinions and possibly more info please. Thankyou. :)

ttplayer92

ttplayer92 said:

@Clayfrd
He likes action games, platformers, and beat em ups. Only two platformers have shown up and both arent the normal platformers.

darkmagi_82

darkmagi_82 said:

@longtimegamer
Just downloaded SIGE, along with some level packs, and its awesome. It's got great graphics, fast-paced gameplay, and a lot of replayability if you're willing to spend the extra $ for some level packs. In this case, one level is not enough. As a bonus, the humans utter some pretty humorous lines as you blow up their buildings, abduct their cows, etc. I'll quote one of my favorites: I'll keep fighting 'til I run out of quarters. Oh, Almost forgot... its also quite a challenging game; if you don't have your wits about you during some of the boss fights (which are pretty epic), your little UFO is toast.

Hope this gave you at least a little taste of what you're getting into when you DL this game.

KDR_11k

KDR_11k said:

SIGE was initially intended to be retail but they decided to go WiiWare instead, there won't be a retail release. Saving your points for WoG would be a bit silly I think, isn't that scheduled for spring? By then you'll have gone through many more points anyway.

Also anyone who watches the Homestar Runner cartoons probably finds the name "WHATSIT" a bit questionable...

longtimegamer

longtimegamer said:

@darkmagi-82 Thanks for the info. Was interested in it already, but sounds like you really enjoyed it, so that helps.

The thing that sucks about this is the price, if you want to get the whole game. How far into it are you (packwise).

Have you played ACR too? If so, how do you feel about IT?

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

I don't know. Until Nintendo gets a permanent fix to the storage solution (aka playing games directly off of the SD card or some proprietary USB dongle instead of deleting/swapping), it's always gonna be more about storage space for me and less about price - I would rather pay $30 retail for ''Space Invaders: Get Even" than have to delete three or four Wiiwares and half-a-dozen VCs just to get it to fit. Likewise, I'd rather fork off 800pts for a 30 block SNES than 800pts for a 300 block Wiiware.

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

Aw man! I was really expecting Maboshi this week! :(
Well, at least we got SIGE. I don't know if I'll buy the whole game, but I'll definitely check out the first level pack and see how I like it.

@Bulbasaurus Rex. If you don't like puzzles games at all, then you're using the wrong download service. lol.

@Ness. I'm digging the Christmas makeover. :)

Edit: @Alexsays. Were you joking? Just curious.

longtimegamer

longtimegamer said:

@darkmagi_82 - I finally downloaded the first level. Thanks again for the info. I think this game is pretty sweet. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to get the rest.
I think there is alot of replayablity on the first level alone, If you're trying to beat the top score for that level.

By the way this was one of my favorite comments -My cows! What do they want with my cows?!
he,heh

By the way..does anyone know the difference between the total score and the get even one?
Also, I'll have to look again, does this not score for a single missio in the leaderboard unless you have all the downloads?

longtimegamer

longtimegamer said:

It's a point thing, I'm guessing, but I wish they would explain what some of the symbol/bonuses (like the bubble bobble dragon) stood for.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

@longtimegamer
They explain most of the bonuses in the expanded operations guide that requires you to connect to the Wii Shop Channel to read, although there is one bonus that they say is a surprise.

@AlexSays
I hope you're being sarcastic. SIGE is the good one, not Pit Crew Panic.

@ttplayer92
I also like fighting games, sports games (no good ones on WiiWare yet), trivia games (like TV Show King), and occansionally RPGs.

ACK

ACK said:

I haven't got a chance to get a start on the Pit Crew Panic yet... Actually, I've barely gotten around to playing it yet, just been too busy playing life... (Proposed to my gal, for one... She accepted, but I knew she would as she's pregnant with my child!)

That said, it should be done tomorrow.

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

I hope you're being sarcastic. SIGE is the good one, not Pit Crew Panic.
No you're wrong.
One game is a complete title for the service and another is a retail game chopped into pieces and served with a delicious number of blocks.
There's only one good game this week and it's initials remind us all of Mario's day job.

Proposed to my gal, for one
My brother just proposed too.
Something about the winter must get people in the mood.

ACK

ACK said:

You implying that Mario slings fairy dust? ...Nah, if anything he's all about the shrooms.

Something about the winter must get people in the mood.

Or maybe it's the likelihood that Obama is going to re-enact the Marriage Tax... Heh.

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

Oh great.
Because of us, there's several kids now Googling PCP, fairy dust, and shrooms.
For those wondering, yes the original post was a plumber crack (no pun intended but once I saw it was there I left it)

And the Marriage Tax? Oh no!
Looks like I'm going to Jared's.

longtimegamer

longtimegamer said:

@AlexSays - That doesn't show how good or bad EITHER game is.
Also, what is it about SIGE being retail that bothers you. Just curious.

By the way, have you played pit crew yet? I played the first part of SIGE. I liked It was worth the five dollars, I think.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

@ longtime gamer post 51
I like Alien Crush returns but its not perfect by any means. First of all the visuals, music and sound effects are outstanding! The game play is good old classic pinball inside an Alien's gut. It's fun but with 3 tables its still shallow. It has Wi-fi play but its really hard to find people online to play. However you can exchange friend codes. For 800 points I think the game is worth it. At first I found it a little boring, but once I opened up the split ball feature the game gets more frantic and fun. Just beat the game on easy and you'll get the split ball

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

Also, what is it about SIGE being retail that bothers you.
No, it's that it's NOT retail which bothers me.
I would have gladly payed MORE money for a complete game at one price that comes in a box.

By the way, have you played pit crew yet?
No I haven't.
I've been too busy with Animal Crossing but I'm a huge supporter of Hudson so I'll likely give it a looksie sometime soon.

That doesn't show how good or bad EITHER game is.
In the sense one game is cute and cuddly and the other game is evil, yes.
I've had fun with bad games but that doesn't mean they're good.
A game chopped into pieces and fit on a service it doesn't belong isn't good.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I'm working on the Pit Crew Panic! review right now. It's not bad. It's not what I expected at all. Review should be up late late tonight or early in the morning. The assigned reviewer got tied up with some personal matters so I'm going to do it. (Don't everybody applaud at once!) :)