Forums

Topic: Why Super Mario Galaxy 2 would be better on 360

Posts 61 to 80 of 90

warioswoods

@Adam

That's fair, you're correct that it is just a hypothetical for the heck of it. I suppose I just have a distaste for hypotheticals about technology that abstract from economic viability. We can have everything we want on those grounds, but that's not how things work.

(EDIT: For me it's a little bit like saying, "wouldn't it be better if Galaxy had 500 levels?" Well, I suppose more levels or improved graphics would be an upgrade if you somehow got to keep everything else unchanged, but what's the point in even asking? It comes close to a tautology (would better be better?) when you simply ask about upgrading graphics, for instance, in abstraction from the reality of investing in one aspect as opposed to another.)

Edited on by warioswoods

Twitter is a good place to throw your nonsense.
Wii FC: 8378 9716 1696 8633 || "How can mushrooms give you extra life? Get the green ones." -

LordJumpMad

You can play Super Mario Galaxy 2 in a Frist person view. and Mario would Talk more and have a Gun.
and it will look like this. http://www.gamesetwatch.com/mariomovie2.jpg

Awsome

Edited on by LordJumpMad

For you, the day LordJumpMad graced your threads, was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.
[url=http://www.backloggery.com/jumpmad]Unive...

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4592-9402 | Twitter:

Adam

Well, I don't think it quite approaches "Would it be better if it had 500 levels?" The motion controls have to be sacrificed in their hypothetical, so it's not just saying better's better but weighing pros and cons -- well, if the article were written well, that's what it'd do. They somehow neglect to mention motion and IR control, instead spending a whole paragraph on achievements -- not exactly a shining light for fan site writing.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

fireyoshi09

i agree with jumpmad mario should have maybe a rocket launcher or a gun.

fireyoshi09

Incognito_D

Point 1) "Well, it would just look better…" - I don't have an HD TV so I don't care about the lack of HD.
Point 2) "A sense of achievement" - I actually have a life. I don't need 1000 pointless achievements to strive for on top of the actual game
Point 3) "Co-operation is key" - co-operative 3D Mario? wat? I suppose this could be fun if done right, but Mario has always been a 1 player game in my mind anyway, so it's no big deal.

シェンムー

irken004

pixelman wrote:

Reason 4: Mario could collect Red Rings instead of coins.

Or, of course, there would be the Natal edition. Jump and spin for realistic physics!

Adam

Incognito+D wrote:

Mario has always been a 1 player game in my mind anyway, so it's no big deal.

Mario's very first game (ignoring DK where he wasn't in the title or called Mario anyway) was 2P. Many, probably most, Mario platformers are 2P. You're of course free to imagine it however you want, no problem there, just pointing out.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

Masz52

I don't see why people are so offended at the thought of a Mario game having achievements. They're completely optional extras, just fun (or not) little things to work toward.

That said, I actually don't see how a Mario platformer could have achievements besides lame ones like "Collect 1000 coins". I mean, there could be "Beat every level as Mini-Mario" (for NSMB) but I can't think of anything besides that.

ejamer

weirdadam wrote:

Ejamer, yea, I'm not saying the article is right, just that it's not as far fetched as some make it out to be. You're making big assumptions that they'd want the very level design changed. Co-op would work in most levels, and neither online or achievements have anything to do with level design necessarily.

Perhaps it'd be clearer to say that, although I think the article makes at least one giant assumption, if someone made a Galaxy game with co-op, I'd gladly sacrifice the Wii-specific features for that one feature, though I think I said this earlier.

Big assumptions? No, but I'm pretty sure you are oversimplifying.

My comment about design changes is because Super Mario Galaxy 2 wouldn't work right now as a co-op game. Is every level supposed to be a race? Playing the entire game that would would be rather annoying, trading exploration and surprise with competitive speed-runs. Are the two players able to interact? If so, why aren't any levels designed to make use of that interaction? There is a difference between designing a game for solo and co-op play, and Galaxy 2 was purposely designed and balanced with one person in mind.

A future Galaxy game with co-op play would be AWESOME... but that game would be designed to take advantage of multi-player situations and interactions, and wouldn't be the same as Galaxy 2.

(You are right that achievements wouldn't require significant changes... but they also don't add significant value beyond all the secrets and tricks that are already available in the game. Online is another huge change because you need a reason to make it worthwhile. What benefit would online play give for Galaxy 2? None, unless you make major design changes like adding co-op play.)

ejamer

Nintendo Network ID: ejamer

Chucko

I don`t see what`s wrong with it the way it is; and I certainly don`t see how it can be better on any other console.( Are the 360 fans jealous or something?)

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, would you kindly?

fireyoshi09

better graphics, a gun, multi-play, and a first person view.

fireyoshi09

Masz52

Chucko wrote:

I don`t see what`s wrong with it the way it is; and I certainly don`t see how it can be better on any other console.( Are the 360 fans jealous or something?)

Because one 360 fan represents every 360 fan.

Edited on by Masz52

ejamer

weirdadam wrote:

Incognito+D wrote:

Mario has always been a 1 player game in my mind anyway, so it's no big deal.

Mario's very first game (ignoring DK where he wasn't in the title or called Mario anyway) was 2P. Many, probably most, Mario platformers are 2P. You're of course free to imagine it however you want, no problem there, just pointing out.

How many Mario games have 2-player modes that involve people actually playing at the same time? (I'm only considering platforming games here, not sports or other spin-offs.) He's not "imagining" anything to think of the Super Mario series as essentially single-player only games -- taking turns trying to complete single-player levels, with no in-game way to interact with or affect the other player, hardly counts as a thrilling multiplayer experience.

Oh, and comparing the original Mario Bros arcade experience to a complex 3D platformer play isn't really reasonable.

ejamer

Nintendo Network ID: ejamer

fireyoshi09

you could knive a bad guy

fireyoshi09

Chucko

fireyoshi09 wrote:

you could knive a bad guy

I`d rather throw fireballs. But that`s why I have Monster hunter 3.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, would you kindly?

Chrono_Cross

I don`t know why everyone`s complaining/debating over something that`s never going to happen.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

SMEXIZELDAMAN

It wouldn't be better.

Check out SUBLIME GAMER, my YouTube Channel
God loves you

Mabbit

shake_zula wrote:

Obviously if you take the exact same game and put it on a more powerful system it will be better... The point is, it isn't on 360. It's on Wii, and so are most of the other best games of this generation. That's why we all have one.

if you took the exact same game and put it on a more powerful system... it would be the exact same game.

imagine the original super mario bros on a PS2, would it be any different?

Heisenberg says "relax!"
The user formerly known as briunj04
PSN=mabbit04/Summoner name(LoL)=briunj04

Odnetnin

SUPERZELDAMAN wrote:

It wouldn't be better.

Not control-wise, but the graphics would technically be better. Just sayin'. Also, Super Mario Galaxy 2 is not a co-op game. It would require substantial retooling to be any fun with a friend that can do as much as you can. The part about the title being my opinion was a joke, btw.

Six word TV reviews
The Worst Firework Displays of all Time

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7077-1059 | Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.