Forums

Topic: Why Super Mario Galaxy 2 would be better on 360

Posts 81 to 90 of 90

Splat

Not control-wise, but the graphics would technically be better.

So.

Edited on by Splat

Dragon's Dogma 2 Pawn ID: OM7GKB029K3D

Adam

Dear Ejamer,

First of all, yes, it is an assumption, and you apparently have confused what co-op means since you say it'd make every level into a race. No, it wouldn't, that would be competitive (you even call it "competitive speed-runs," so I have no idea how you've confused this with its opposite, co-op). The game is already designed for the player to be helped by another player, this would only be taking it a step further by giving the other player corporeality. You don't need to change the level design for that to be fun.

NSMBW has been described as being designed for single-player, and I see no evidence to the contrary in level design -- I beat it 100% single-player, and there's nothing you can't do without a friend. But tossing in multi-player makes the game more fun. Co-op is just simultaneous play. You play at the same time, maybe helping each other, maybe not.

And second of all, for your other response, he only said that Mario games are single-player, not that they don't feature simultaneous play. And I wasn't insulting him by saying "imagine." He said that Mario games are only single-player games "in his mind." I was just basing my response off of what he said, not contradicting him. Sometimes what a game means for someone is different from what it means to another, and like I said to him already, that's perfectly fine! I for instance "imagine" Star Fox "in my mind" as a single-player game because multi-player is always terrible and feels tacked on.

Someone recently said something similar for Zelda in another thread, that it should not have co-op because they think of Zelda as 1P. So I pointed out that Zelda already has four multi-player games. Wasn't saying the guy was wrong to envision the series this way or that co-op would be remotely similar to these other game modes, just that the series is no longer single-player only.

Yours sincerely etc,
W. Adam

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

warioswoods

W. Adam?

I believe you're wrong about co-op not requiring extensive retooling of the entire game, if you mean local co-op. Online, sure, but local would require either an undesirable split-screen or completely redesigning the levels, for the camera is constantly switching its position as you progress, and that is never going to work while keeping you both on screen.

-W. Woods

Edited on by warioswoods

Twitter is a good place to throw your nonsense.
Wii FC: 8378 9716 1696 8633 || "How can mushrooms give you extra life? Get the green ones." -

ejamer

Dude, I'm calling you out because you're repeatedly saying passive-aggressive things and suggesting that others are wrong based on technicalities or differing opinions.

I know that a race isn't cooperative - that was the point. Unless characters can interact in some meaningful way then there would be nothing else they could do... but once you allow the characters to interact you need to design the game with that interaction in mind. Do you really think that New Super Mario Bros Wii didn't have significant design effort to make it a multi-player (cooperative or competitive) game? And do you really think that comparing multiplayer in a retro-styled 2D game with arguably the best 3D platformer is reasonable?

Oh, and we're not penpals. Keep your letters for someone who cares.

Edited on by ejamer

ejamer

Nintendo Network ID: ejamer

Adam

For Mr. Ejamer,

Whoa, what the heck man, I meant nothing by it. And you'd have quite a case to make if you think I'm being passive aggressive, I'm just shooting the breeze. Take a chill pill, perhaps two. I'm not going to bother responding to the rest of your post if you're just going to throw a hissy fit. Sorry to offend you, but I have no idea what your problem is.

For Mr. Woods,

Without a doubt it'd have to be online. That's why they tout it as a 360 thing in the article, since Wii's online service is much too terrible to handle this.

The W is for Weird, my first name.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,

ejamer

weirdadam wrote:

Whoa, what the heck man, I meant nothing by it. And you'd have quite a case to make if you think I'm being passive aggressive, I'm just shooting the breeze. Take a chill pill, perhaps two. I'm not going to bother responding to the rest of your post if you're just going to throw a hissy fit. Sorry to offend you, but I have no idea what your problem is.

Glad you're not being passive aggressive.

ejamer

Nintendo Network ID: ejamer

warioswoods

Ah, I see. How could I forget that?

Online play is mostly useless to me, I just want something fun to play when friends are visiting (NSMBWii has me covered there, so that Galaxy games are for private Mario-ing). I don't believe a single one of my friends owns a Wii of his or her own anyway, so for multiplayer to occur, it has to be gathered around my TV.

Now, playing random people online is fun for some games, like Mario Kart Wii, but I wouldn't want to play random people in Galaxy 1/2. Then it would just devolve into un-fun chaos, I'm afraid.

Twitter is a good place to throw your nonsense.
Wii FC: 8378 9716 1696 8633 || "How can mushrooms give you extra life? Get the green ones." -

Adam

Yea, I'm actually in the exact same boat, but imagining co-op online is fun enough for me, haha. I do greatly prefer split-screen games, myself, which Galaxy would of course be poorly suited to.

Come on, friends,

Chucko

This thread is kinda getting out of hand. Bottom line: Mario will never go to another developer or console.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, would you kindly?

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.