Forums

Topic: Why did you choose Wii over PS3/360?

Posts 101 to 120 of 139

RandomWiiPlayer

Mandoble wrote:

Because of Zelda TP (a real gem). IMO everything else is way way better in the other two consoles, including controls.

If I were you, I would have gotten it on the GameCube and just got the other console.

The Game.

Is it after 9PM EST? You should probably ignore the above post.

Sneaker13

First reason was the motion controls which I was really impressed with. Second all the franchises I love and third the price tag.

When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth.

Friendcodes:
Wii: 1992-3062-5832-6991 - Mario Kart Wii: 3308-5912-8952 - Dr. Mario & Germ Buster: 8325-7726-3894 -
3DS: 0430 - 8258 - 5287

skywake

I think while watching Nintendo @ E3 '06 I was convinced I should get this item somewhere between the fire octopus part of the SMG trailer (you know, they are knocking the coconuts back and go "wow! the controller makes noises!") and the Archery parts of Twilight Princess. When they came on stage at the end and did the Wii Sports Tennis thing I was already convinced so if that delivered it was just a bonus.

I think this was just after I had watched half the Microsoft conference but before I watched parts of the Sony one. The day after that I read an article about how there was a HUGE line at the Nintendo stall. It was then that I showed the Wii Sports Tennis thing to my parents (knowing what I had just witnessed would be huge) and at that point the deal was done. Four Christmases with "Wii Sports" at centre stage later and here we are!

To be perfectly honest... I was hyped about the Wii but it has well and truly exceeded my unusually lofty expectations.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Rensch

It was cheaper and I absolutely had to play Super Mario Galaxy and Twilight Princess with motion controls.

Friend code 3DS: 4210-4747-2358

Magicpegasus

I've been playing video games since the days of Atari 2600. I was like 4 years old, but it obviously had a huge impact on me. The NES defined my childhood, that was the big Xmas present that made me behave oddly when I opened it. By the time Sega Genesis came out, I was older and ready for that edgy ad campaign. I sold my NES and some games and saved up for some 16-bit gaming. I became a Sega guy, sneering at Nintendo's "kiddy" image. I begrudgingly admired the SNES library, though, and have since caught up with all those gems for that system. In retrospect, I have to admit that the Genesis library can't hold a candle to it, but I was sucked into the attitude Sega was selling to tweens and teens at the time. Whoa, he's crossing his arms and tapping his foot because i went for a Coke. That's radical! I even bought the 32X pauses for ridicule. Then it was PSX, which I preferred to N64. Caught up again with Nintendo though. I still think the PSX was the better system. Then it was the Dreamcast, which I will love until the day I die (!). PS2 was next, then an Xbox. I noticed a trend in gaming that I couldn't quite get behind. Games like God of War and Halo were good, but I felt they were moving away from the simplicity and fun I grew up with. The hit games for 360 and PS3 confirmed those fears. Media, online communities, stats, achievements, and Hollywood style production values were getting in the way of my good time. I saw the Wii as a return to the core gaming values I remembered from my youth. I wanted fun, simple, and innovative video games. Although there have been some baffling disappointments in the Wii story (why there aren't like 50 games as good as Wii Sports out by now is beyond me) I think my assumptions were mostly correct. New Super Mario Bros. Wii is exactly what I wanted, and I got it. Thanks Nintendo.

3DS FC:4468 1027 0929

The_Ink_Pit_Ox

I actually have a 360, except all I have is the PGR series and the Forza series. I used to have other games, but they got boring after awhile. Secret Weapons over Normandy, Sega GT 2002, Myst III: Exile. All failed to keep my interest (although SWON and Myst III were Dad's favorites).

I won't buy a PS3 until they actually have an exclusive I'd actually buy. Now that I've discovered Forza, and since Crash and Spyro are on the Wii, there's no reason for me to get a PS3.

Friend code: 5370-0444-3461
Animal Crossing City Folk Code: 3053-5977-0373

Watchful_Eye

Super Smash Bros. Brawl - its that simple

Without Brawl I'd never bought a wii, just as I'd never bought a GCN without Melee. Still I bought a lot of other games later on though.

Watchful_Eye

Bigdog

I actually chose a PS2 over the Gamecube last Generation and my PS2 collected dust. Sure, it was full of amazing, critically praised titles but none that really called out for me. I'm a Mario/Zelda/Star Fox/Metroid guy, and they each fill a particular niche for what I look for in games. (Zelda=Adventure, Mario=Platforming+RPG, Star Fox=Piloting, Metroid=Action+FPS).

I just don't have the time to go real deep within a particular type of game, so I want a system that I can get my fix for whatever type within a few games and the Wii does that very well with its top franchises. Any other games are just a bonus for me. (like Little King's Story, Klonoa, de Blob, Okami and A Boy and his Blob.)

So, for this generation I tried to avoid the same mistake, and stuck with Nintendo. You would have a solid argument saying that the 360 and PS3 have "better" core games, but my Wii is not collecting dust like those system would If I owned them.

Edited on by Bigdog

"Maybe you're MY puppet"

NotEnoughGolds

My then-girlfriend bought it for me.
I guess I must have been interested in it, but I don't remember why. The only game I actually wanted for it at the time was Twilight Princess, but that was out on Gamecube as well.

Anyway, I like the Wii's library at this point. I own 14 games for the Wii, which gives it the third-highest honors, right behind the NES (86 games) and the N64 (~28 games). I had a combined total of fewer than 14 games for XBox and GameCube.

The NPC thing is great, simply because it gave me a chance to play all the way through the first two Metroid Prime games.

NotEnoughGolds

Bigdog

Magicpegasus wrote:

I've been playing video games since the days of Atari 2600. I was like 4 years old, but it obviously had a huge impact on me. The NES defined my childhood, that was the big Xmas present that made me behave oddly when I opened it. By the time Sega Genesis came out, I was older and ready for that edgy ad campaign. I sold my NES and some games and saved up for some 16-bit gaming. I became a Sega guy, sneering at Nintendo's "kiddy" image. I begrudgingly admired the SNES library, though, and have since caught up with all those gems for that system. In retrospect, I have to admit that the Genesis library can't hold a candle to it, but I was sucked into the attitude Sega was selling to tweens and teens at the time. Whoa, he's crossing his arms and tapping his foot because i went for a Coke. That's radical! I even bought the 32X pauses for ridicule. Then it was PSX, which I preferred to N64. Caught up again with Nintendo though. I still think the PSX was the better system. Then it was the Dreamcast, which I will love until the day I die (!). PS2 was next, then an Xbox. I noticed a trend in gaming that I couldn't quite get behind. Games like God of War and Halo were good, but I felt they were moving away from the simplicity and fun I grew up with. The hit games for 360 and PS3 confirmed those fears. Media, online communities, stats, achievements, and Hollywood style production values were getting in the way of my good time. I saw the Wii as a return to the core gaming values I remembered from my youth. I wanted fun, simple, and innovative video games. Although there have been some baffling disappointments in the Wii story (why there aren't like 50 games as good as Wii Sports out by now is beyond me) I think my assumptions were mostly correct. New Super Mario Bros. Wii is exactly what I wanted, and I got it. Thanks Nintendo.

Amen, Brother

"Maybe you're MY puppet"

T4U2D

I chose the Wii for two reasons, Brawl and the VC. The VC gets its heart played out of it, and Brawl collects dust on the shelf. Brawl was just way too slow, and the skill level was dropped far below the first two installments.

T4U2D

IlikeVideoGames

I am still content with my PS2 is the biggest reason as it is still my most played system. The Wii is a great system and I really like IR aiming for the FPS genre and I really wanted Mario Kart Wii and Brawl. I am not a big online gamer and the only reason games like COD WAW and MW get played online is because of IR aiming. Last generation I played a lot of PS2 RPG's and SONY 1st party games and exclusives, but I honestly felt if I was going to invest in another system I wanted it to be totally different from the others and that is what the Wii offered me (granted some developers could do a little better work with the games they make). Also the Virtual Console appealed to me.

Edited on by IlikeVideoGames

IlikeVideoGames

Kknight

1) I've owned every Nintendo console since the NES and every handheld since some of the Game & Watch games (excluding GBC and VB)
2) Nintendo's games appeal to me and with rare exception the games on the other systems don't. I've actually read reviews for games on other systems looking for an excuse to pick up an XBox360 or PS3, but can't find enough games that I want to justify it.
3) Nintendo is the king of family and party gaming hands down. Now that our kids are old enough to play, that is important to us. Almost everything they play gets played together.

Now Playing DS: Scribblenauts; M&L: BIS--Just Finished: Picross--Backlog: Layton 2; Spirit Tracks
Now Playing Wii: Little King's Story--Just Finished: NSMBWii--Backlog: Boy and His Blob

SonicMaster

Well, Brawl was a big reason we wanted a wii. We didn't even expect to get one!

SonicMaster

Mitchwii

price and im loyal to nintendo [my mom has a working nes]

I love every thing
Nintendolife chat
I love everything agian
Wii freind code: 4244-2302-2338-2281
SSB code: 4383-2526-5772

Awesome5

1. motion controls
2. cheap
3. ongoing series (Mario, Zelda)

Awesome5

Sean_Aaron

Magicpegasus wrote:

The hit games for 360 and PS3 confirmed those fears. Media, online communities, stats, achievements, and Hollywood style production values were getting in the way of my good time. I saw the Wii as a return to the core gaming values I remembered from my youth. I wanted fun, simple, and innovative video games.

I'll third this sentiment. I watch the guys on Gametrailers praising the hell out of Uncharted 2 and I just don't get it. Either the trailers are focusing on stuff to appeal to people who already like that kind of thing on the PS360 or it's just not for me, but all I see is a PS1 game with tarted up graphics. I really get the sense nothing much has changed in the last two generations in 3D gaming outside of better visuals and online and frankly, that's not interesting. I'm probably just getting old, but I'd rather have a machine with the odd 3D action title and more quirky fun games like I remember playing in arcades and the old 2600.

In fact I was playing Intellivision Lives! the other day asking myself why we haven't seen a game like Space Spartans, Star Master or Star Raiders again? I'd love someone to just blantently rip off some old 2600 games and put 'em on WiiWare!

BLOG, mail: [email protected]
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

Magicpegasus

Sean+Aaron wrote:

I'll third this sentiment. I watch the guys on Gametrailers praising the hell out of Uncharted 2 and I just don't get it. Either the trailers are focusing on stuff to appeal to people who already like that kind of thing on the PS360 or it's just not for me, but all I see is a PS1 game with tarted up graphics. I really get the sense nothing much has changed in the last two generations in 3D gaming outside of better visuals and online and frankly, that's not interesting. I'm probably just getting old, but I'd rather have a machine with the odd 3D action title and more quirky fun games like I remember playing in arcades and the old 2600.

In fact I was playing Intellivision Lives! the other day asking myself why we haven't seen a game like Space Spartans, Star Master or Star Raiders again? I'd love someone to just blantently rip off some old 2600 games and put 'em on WiiWare!

To me, that's kind of what the Wii Sports titles are. Except you can control the fielders in 2600 baseball...

3DS FC:4468 1027 0929

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.