Forums

Topic: Nintendo is Lazy and Doesn't Care?

Posts 121 to 140 of 321

Guybrush_Threepwood

Great article by IGN! I couldn't agree more. I hate it how lazy Nintendo had became since Wii release:

• Two and a half years ignoring complains until they finally made a small firmware update for SD-cards.
  • No digital audio output despite most households having receivers supporting Dolby Digital nowadays. Even the PS2 and Xbox had digital audio output in last generation.

... and there are unfortunately much more examples

Edited on by Guybrush_Threepwood

Guybrush_Threepwood

SpentAllMyTokens

@Moco

I'm sure when those games stop selling well, they'll drop in price. The Wii took a long time to drop in price for the same reason, demand didn't drop for a long time. It sucks, but no company would ever drop the price on a game that's still selling well. It's not a change in philosophy, just a change in sales numbers.

Games also start out about 10 dollars cheaper for Wii than they do for PS360, so there's that factor as well.

I am way too lazy to think of something clever.
My Backloggery

CH405K1N6

Token+Girl wrote:

@Moco

I'm sure when those games stop selling well, they'll drop in price. The Wii took a long time to drop in price for the same reason, demand didn't drop for a long time. It sucks, but no company would ever drop the price on a game that's still selling well. It's not a change in philosophy, just a change in sales numbers.

Games also start out about 10 dollars cheaper for Wii than they do for PS360, so there's that factor as well.

This.

Uh oh. He's back.

zemulii

Mandoble wrote:

NSMB, a short 2D game with very simplistic artwork (year 2009, not 1996) and little innovation: 45Eur. This is how much Nintendo cares about its pocket, not about the players. Even more, the very same game with quite similar artwork was out for DS and Wii, which also means even less development hours for Wii version. You may love NSMB, ok, but selling that outclassed, obsolete, short and simplistic game for 45Eur is whatever but fair. This might have a good Wiiware candidate, but of course, money is money which is the very only thing Nintento is taking care of with the Wii.

Well... heh heh... did you buy it? If you did... then obviously you thought the price was fair enough. If you didn't buy it, then you're missing out on a great game (and certainly shouldn't be making any assumptions about it's quality...). So whatever. I don't think you have played it though if you're comparing it to the DS game.

Guybrush_Threepwood wrote:

Great article by IGN! I couldn't agree more. I hate it how lazy Nintendo had became since Wii release:

• Two and a half years ignoring complains until they finally made a small firmware update for SD-cards.
  • No digital audio output despite most households having receivers supporting Dolby Digital nowadays. Even the PS2 and Xbox had digital audio output in last generation.

... and there are unfortunately much more examples

I agree on the storage issue. The update for SD card support was pretty lacklustre and years late. I don't understand what the big problem with the audio is though. Unless the average Wii gamer is an audiophile, what's the rush?

zemulii

CH405K1N6

Mandoble wrote:

NSMB, a short 2D game with very simplistic artwork (year 2009, not 1996) and little innovation.

.' Not every game has to be blindingly innovative, y'know. Sometimes I say, "F*ck innovation, I just want to enjoy the game."

Uh oh. He's back.

Adam

CH405K1N6 wrote:

Sometimes I say, "F*ck innovation, I just want to enjoy the game."

Same. Well, I don't know how to pronounce asterisks, but I imagine we're probably saying something similar. Developers should work a little more on refining and expanding the tried and true formulas instead of trying to reinvent the wheel with every release.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

Sneaker13

Fick, what's a fick?

When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth.

Friendcodes:
Wii: 1992-3062-5832-6991 - Mario Kart Wii: 3308-5912-8952 - Dr. Mario & Germ Buster: 8325-7726-3894 -
3DS: 0430 - 8258 - 5287

Stuffgamer1

Token Girl wrote:

I'm sure when those games stop selling well, they'll drop in price.

Sadly, this is not true. Just look at WarioWare: Smooth Moves, Wario Land: Shake It!, Wii Music, Super Princess Peach, even ExciteBots. All the games I just listed either were discontinued still at full price, or are STILL listed at full price even though they barely sell nowadays. When you DO see them cheaper, it's either used or because the STORE decided to put them on sale to get rid of them.

Some of those games didn't sell well partially because the market they tried to sell them to was still too small or simply hadn't heard of the game yet (WarioWare: Smooth Moves and Super Princess Peach especially). If Nintendo would just rerelease them, lower price or no (but preferably with a lower, "Player's Choice" price), they would sell. I guarantee it. But Iwata's got a stick up his butt and refuses to do so, resulting in games that are retardedly rare for no damn reason.

My Backloggery Updated sporadically. Got my important online ID's on there, anyway. :P

Nintendo Network ID: Stuffgamer1

Mandoble

zemulii, I've not played it, I watched several youtuve and nintendo vids and that was more that enough to realize this is the same as always, a plain 2D obsolete plataform game. And I admit that it might be fun, but never worth 45Eur.

Mandoble

Stuffgamer1

As I understand exchange rates, I have to agree that 45 Euros sounds a bit much for NSMBW. It's totally worth $50, though.

My Backloggery Updated sporadically. Got my important online ID's on there, anyway. :P

Adam

All regions but North America and Japan get screwed by the prices. NSMBW is the best game on the Wii though, so I'd make an exception for it. Anyway, there is no such thing as an "obsolete" genre. It's a platformer. They were fun in 85, and they're fun now. It's not like our brains have evolved in 24 years so that things that used to be fun are no longer fun. Four-player co-op is still pretty darn new, too. LBP is the only other example, and that game has a whole host of problems while NSMBW does so much perfectly. If it's not a genre you like particularly, fine, but if you haven't even played the game, then you know nothing.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,

theblackdragon

preach on, brother Adam. i loves me some platforming goodness... platformers will never become 'obsolete', so long as there are people who regularly enjoy playing them. :/

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

CH405K1N6

theblackdragon wrote:

preach on, brother Adam. i loves me some platforming goodness... platformers will never become 'obsolete', so long as there are people who regularly enjoy playing them. :/

This.

Also, LBP having too many problems? I've played it and it's amazing.

Uh oh. He's back.

Stuffgamer1

LBP is good, but the physics are actually pretty bad, IMO. The level editor isn't anywhere NEAR as good as I'd hoped either, which tends to result in not-very-good or even hard-to-play levels no matter how much you try (I know some people have done AMAZING things with it, but I don't have a clue how).

I also took exception to the idea that platformers are "obsolete." No real reason I didn't mention it before...but now that it's been brought up, I figured I'd just agree.

Adam

Yea, those are basically my problems with it, the absurdly clunky editor and physics that even the developers have said weren't as good as they should have been -- an understatement, they're really bad. That and it's also slower than Mario. It's a good game, but it gets old after awhile, whereas all the side-scrolling Marios have been instant classics. NSMBDS is my least favorite 2D Mario, and I'd take it over LBP any day.

Come on, friends,

Kid_A

CH405K1N6 wrote:

theblackdragon wrote:

This.

Also, LBP having too many problems? I've played it and it's amazing.

The jumping physics feel wrong, and the fact that you can move through three different planes (the middleground, foreground in background) ended up being more of a curse than anything. The main problem (for me) was using the analogue stick to control a 2-D platformer. The somewhat loose nature of the PS3's analogue stick kept on accidently causing me to jump into different planes. There was also some pretty serious lag online.

Those were my complaints--but LBP is one of my all time favorite platformers. And even though the level editor is confusing, you can do some pretty amazing stuff with it if you take the time to figure it out.

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

WesterHive

I think if the Wii had an achievement system I'd would DEFINITELY be more enticed to buy more games, possibly of a lower caliber, just to boost my overall profile. I only own Nintendo consoles so I had little knowledge of the XBox360 achievement system. Now that I do know about it, I'm a bit jealous. Following that, this article made me think of all of the franchises that Nintendo has under it's belt that just have NOT been utilized. I loved Galaxy, but why are they making a second one before a Donkey Kong/Pilotwings/Star Fox/F-Zero/Kid Icarus game?

Boom.

skywake

I just listened to the IGN Nintendo podcast where they tried to explain their reasoning for putting this bulls**t up. The achievement rant, which I partially agree with, was apparently for consistency between the three console sites. The PS3 site had an article, the 360 site had an article but the Wii site didn't have anything. The main point the Nintendo part of the podcast seemed to agree with most was that the Wii needs some sort of persistent online space where you can see what your friends are playing currently. I agree with that point and when Nintendo first mentioned "Wii Connect 24" that was what I thought they meant. It obviously wasn't. Achievements themselves? I don't see the point personally because even in the "Nintendo can already do this" Wii Sports Resort it didn't really add anything IMO.

Then they went onto talking about the "Nintendo is lazy" post. The only point I agree with was their complaints about Animal Crossing on Wii which by any measure was lazy. Other then that all I heard was a bunch of needless complaining about trivial issues particularly in the headline grabbing New SMB Wii. How it didn't push the Wii graphically and how the use of two toads was lazy. The last point on this was the reuse of content specifically the comets in Super Mario Galaxy and the Temple of the Ocean King in Phantom Hourglass. I call bulls**t on both particularly Super Mario Galaxy (I got a lot out of the comets) but also Phantom Hourglass because even though it was poorly designed it wasn't "lazy". (Personally I didn't notice the Temple of the Ocean King was "tedious" until people started to point it out to me after I was 90% through the game. I had an "oh, I guess it is" moment.) They didn't have any other real points as far as I could tell.

The podcast was then topped off when the list of top 25 Wii games was read out and everyone seemed to moan about Twilight Princess getting #4 because its a Gamcube game. I don't get why people love to hate this game especially when the Metroid Prime Trilogy, which is 2/3rds Gamecube game, got #2 with no argument. Nobody argued about Wario Land Shake or Super Paper Mario which both could have easily been done on the Gamecube.

So I guess what I am trying to figure out is.... am I being a HUGE fanboy here and missing some vital point of this argument or am I right and these guys are just trolling for ad revenue?

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Trevor_Fox

@Skywake

No, no fanboyism. You pointed out flaws Nintendo has where they could do better and haven't blindly defended the console. I would say that you just are able to enjoy things more than a select few others.

Wii #: 2957-6808-2293-0954
Pokemon: Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky FC: 2235-6850-1352
PSN: Trevor_Fox
-Try out my Littlebigplanet levels! =)

zemulii

Mandoble wrote:

zemulii, I've not played it, I watched several youtuve and nintendo vids and that was more that enough to realize this is the same as always, a plain 2D obsolete plataform game. And I admit that it might be fun, but never worth 45Eur.

Stuffgamer1 wrote:

As I understand exchange rates, I have to agree that 45 Euros sounds a bit much for NSMBW. It's totally worth $50, though.

Gawd... and you think that's bad? 45 Euros is about 90 NZD. We have it on the shelves for about $110 (or around 55 Euros). No wonder I'm so hesitant to buy games here huh? I guess I'm just used to it (still don't like it though). I think my games collection would be twice as large if games were that price here (especially if 45 is a lot). Better than Modern Warfare 2 at $140 though (seriously ridicuous - what the heck are they thinking??)!

Sorry but I really don't think it's fair to call it obsolete without giving it a proper chance. You say that as if 2D is a bad thing... but it's kind of the whole point of the game...?

Edited on by zemulii

zemulii

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.